Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Motivation
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Ok.. ive been riding mtb pretty much constantly since i was about 15, im now 39. Up until now ive always enjoyed it and a few hard rides a week with a few trips away each year, alps, wales, etc has scratched the itch so to speak. Im currently riding about 150-200 miles a week off road over 2 – 4 rides and im bored, unmotivated… ive ridden sdw in a day more times than i care to remember and really need a new challenge. Ive thought about doing a race or some type of uber challenge…help me out…what would you do?

druidh
    Free Member

Buy yourself a road bike.

Ride it every day for a few weeks.

Then you’ll really know the meaning of bored and unmotivated….

geoffj

what would you do?

Do some races and/or try road biking.

Wookster

I’d try a cross bike it’s a right laugh through the winter! Road bikes are good let’s you mix it up bit I really enjoy the speed and difference they bring, it’s worth a look?

andrewh
    Free Member

Not tried racing in 24yrs of riding?
    Give it a go. a) lots of new people b) challenge to prepare for c) makes all the really dull training miles seem worth it when you finally win something
    Be prepared to be a bit out of your depth for a while though, start in the fun/open class and you’ll be fine, likely to get a hammering if start out in masters…

nmdbase
    Free Member

Buy yourself a road bike.

Ride it every day for a few weeks.

Then you’ll really know the meaning of bored and unmotivated….

Agreed, did that today, it was shite 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Ok.. ive been riding mtb pretty much constantly since i was about 15, im now 39.

AWESOME!!
    Take a break.
    Seriously, there’s nothing wrong with taking a bit of time away. Road riding is a good alternative. I find I’ll do several months on the road followed by a few months off-road, then back onto the road, etc.
    Variety being the spice of life and all that…

BigJohn

Learn to windsurf and relegate biking to its proper place as a low-wind displacement activity.

Do too much of anything and it will become a bit tedious.

You are obviously comitted to a lot of riding, so rather than a lay off, I’d suggest a challenge – I’m guessing you ride XC, so go somewhere that will scare the crap out of you, buy a DH bike maybe?

Not the same scenario, but we went to Fort Bill last year, all rode well out of our comfort zones and were buzzing and talking about it for weeks.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, give racing a go. You’ll probably do quite well considering your mileage.
    And definately mix things up a bit. Road riding is better than people will have you believe and cross riding is lots of fun too.

Or just go and do one of the serious endurance races in the states. Mucho men and indeed, women.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Thanks for your opinions, ive been toying with the idea of a road bike for a while and i think that might be on the cards.. im going to have a look at some mtb races first though, something in the south east preferably that I can have a pop at…

MrOvershoot

don simon – Member
    Take a break.
    Seriously, there’s nothing wrong with taking a bit of time away. Road riding is a good alternative. I find I’ll do several months on the road followed by a few months off-road, then back onto the road, etc.
    Variety being the spice of life and all that…

Good answer

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Try the Maxx Exposure south downs way night enduro, usually on mid sept or early otc. Sounds like you’l have no problem with it. And going against the clock is always more fun, especially in the dark 🙂 .

Seriously, if you are finding mtb’ing uninspiring, do you really think riding on the road is going to provide enlightenment?

foxyrider
    Free Member

quality not quantity – go somewhere with a group and do some different riding – say abroad on a holiday – i.e. more social riding – makes if far more interesting riding with other people and sharing the experience?

kudos100
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the road riding devils, if you are bored and unmotivated the last thing you want to do is road riding 😛 I’d definitely give racing a go, xc or enduro. Also riding some different things, really steep downhill, some small dirt jumps etc.

I’ve been a bit down the last few days and have just taken my 24 inch dj bike for a spin around the village and it has cheered me up. 🙂

shedfull
    Free Member

LEJOG off road? There’s a route on CTC’s site that takes 40 or more days but you could probably halve that if you can do SDW in a day.

MrOvershoot

kudos100 – Member

Don’t listen to the road riding devils,

Says you :p

I love riding off road but the speed on road is also a natural high.
    TBH riding a bike makes me feel happy, the surface is not the most important bit.

VanHalen

when faced with a trail obstical do you a) mince round the easy way and bash out a few more miles or b) go back and try and ride over the root ball and along the fallen tree.

if the answer is a) perhaps look at more epic rides – coast to coast, northeern spain pilgrimage route etc etc. i recon looking at the pre-alps near grenoble would offer some epic riding based on my walking tour there.

if the answer is b)go uplifting at fun places (ukbp fod etc) or enter a gravity enduro/mini dh. nothing like the clock to hone your skills and up the banter with riding buddies.

singlespeedstu

Try something different.
    Buy a DH bike/ fatbike/ 29er/ singlespeed/ fixie/ BMX/ road bike/ tandem/ trials bike.
    Or try a few different types of riding. Do a 2/3 day bivi/ bothy trip/ 24 hour race/ gravity enduro.

Use your imagination instead of just keep doing the same stuff. 8)

rickon
    Free Member

A challenge….. how about trying the Welsh coast to coast? or The Hobbit’s Tale (that’s the c2c, there and back again).

Lots of info on Dave Buchanan’s website – http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk

And if you want a quick overview the Wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit%27s_Tale

Cheers

Ricks

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ride at night, even if you’re on familiar trails they are very different without your full level of perception. Even more interesting after it’s been raining!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Motivation’ is closed to new replies.