Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • motion sickness,how to deal with it?
  • racefaceec90

the last 2 times i have been on a bus i havee suffered with feeling really nauseous.i start sweating and feeling really ill. luckily nothing “bad” happened,but i would like to find a way of dealing with this problem.

i don’t know why i have this issue tbh,as i have been (over the years) on buses/planes trains e.t.c with no issues.

any advice would be most welcome,as i really felt awful coming back on the buses both times 🙁

zippykona

Sounds like a panic attack rather than motion sickness.
    I was exactly the same. Had hypnotherapy and I was fine for years.
    Then sitting backwards in a cab with a full tummy and hitting a pot hole set me off again.
    2 spells of hypnotherapy didn’t work.
    A trip to the docs for some happy tablets to take before travel has helped hugely.
    Knowing I can get in a situation and then get out of it by just taking a tablet takes 99% of the stress of travelling away.
    I used to be really car sick as a kid which was caused by a mix a wet dog, plastic seats ,cigarette smoke and 1970s suspension.

chip
    Free Member

You can buy over the counter antihistamine based travel sickness tablets, I use one called stugeron 15 to help with nausea due to the anti depressant I am taking.

If think zippy kona is talking about diazapam for anxiety which you might be able to blag from you doc if going on a long journey (holiday) but doubt would for nipping down the shops on a bus.

Drac

Sounds like travel sickness to me.

Don’t read, don’t stare at a smart phone or other such object, keep your eye on the horizon but buses are just horrible in general so avoid those too.

GregMay
    Free Member

Don’t travel. Problem, solved.

racefaceec90

thanks for the replies everyone.

tbh i don’t think it’s a panic attack,as i can use the buses with no problems.

being a bit of an idiot,i was wearing a hoody yesterday (as i thought it was going to be cooler than it turned out). that mixed with the sun heating me up through the window started making me feel queasy/sweating suddenly.

i suppose my worry about feeling queasy from my last bus ride (to the same place devizes to swindon and back) may have been an anxiety of sorts.

i have suffered with the odd bout of motion sickness whilst in cars/buses e.t.c going back to childhood,but it’s not very often i have to say.

will look into buying some anti motion sickness tablets in future.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try and sit in the front seat. Not always possible but the most comfortable place.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m fine on trains and planes, can manage as a passenger in cars but find buses really bad.

Too lurchy and esp. if at night the lights mean you can’t see out the windows which compounds the problem.

I just avoid buses, generally anything bus distance is cycleable 🙂

allfankledup

The very thought of travelling to Swindon would always make me sick, sadly I lived at the bottom of Nursteed Road (Devizes) and worked in the joys of Windmill Hill(Swindon) so it was kind of unavoidable

The road between the two isn’t that twisty (maybe a little near Avebury) – so is it something else bugging you….

slowoldgit
    Free Member

From a sea-sickness point of view, I’d suggest these. Don’t read, look out if possible, forwards is best, sideways may not help. Sit about midships if you can, half way between front and back axles.

It’s about the contrast between your inner ears feeling the movement and your eyesight looking at the inside of a box that doesn’t do much. Some poisons affect your inner ear bits, so your body decides to get rid of them before they do any more harm. Well that’s what I read, yonks ago.

timba
    Free Member

Concentrate on the forward view as though you are driving (not from the driver’s seat though 🙂 )

Failing that the shade of an oak tree works well

perchypanther
    Free Member

Avoid this bloody thing at all costs – The Scillonian III otherwise known as the “Great White Stomach Pump”

Never have I seen so many nauseous people concentrated in a single space. Stinks of puke / disinfectant.

If you ever go to the Isles of Scilly, go on the plane.

ampthill

We survive the Scillonian via sea sick pills. I did feel a bit off on the way out this year. But I sat outside and that helped. Coming back was well rolley but I has sea legs by then

We did have one very bad year where the dog was sick, then my wife and then me

Apparently its because its very shallow draught and set up to cope with big waves

Lets hope the Scillonian IV is stabilised

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘motion sickness,how to deal with it?’ is closed to new replies.