Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MOT, V5 etc. Car related, sorry.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

My car is registered in Hampton, UK. I'm in Ireland for now (hell knows if forever or just a few months). I need to MOT and tax the car but… can I go to Northern Ireland and do it there or do I need to be back in England? The complication is I also need to change the address from Hampton (where I get no post from, ****' Royal Mail re-delivery service) to Surbiton (a safe-house).
    I looked on-line and it seems MOT'ing the car in NI is harder than in England. What should I do now? BTW I only have some 2.5 weeks before the run–out day 🙁

Suggsey
    Free Member

Are you in Eire or Northern Ireland? I would just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get it MOT'd in Northern Ireland if thats where you are at/likely to stay and it would fit in with your legend. If its Eire surely you would need to register it under Irish plates etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm in RoI but don't want to register here as I'm not moved totally and the quotes are silly (ever heard of £2.4k for 3rd party cover on a £1k car?). Need to keep it British for 6 more months.
    I can drive to NI, but would it do? They have their own DVLA there it seems.

cbike
    Free Member

I think you need to book about a month in advance in NI. Google the NI equivalent?

Like the UK I suspect you'd have to register eventually if you stay for a long time in the ROI

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hell, looks like the bullet is coming 🙁
    1000 Euro insurance.
    630 Euro road tax (WTF!!!).
    4.70 Euro a pint of Guinness.
    Crippers!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I do seem to remember warning you about the cost of living when you were considering the move. But Jaybus, that is bloody expensive dude. €630 Road Tax? WTF!

I guess you just need to make sure you're all clean and legal to drive. I assume you're covered on your UK policy for extended "trips abroad". Normally, there's a time limit.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yes, you did. Having said that I was asked by the boss if I wanted a pay-rise of 25 per cent earlier today, I said "yes, that'd be loovely", he was happy to make it permanent. Now I can afford it. Guinness tonight I reckon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MOT, V5 etc. Car related, sorry.’ is closed to new replies.