Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • MOT fail question
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

My car isn’t due for an MOT till 19th. But I put it in early, and it failed 🙁 It’s getting fixed, and will be fixed by weekend. But looks like I can’t take it in for an MOT re-test ’till Mon 18th.

So, I can have the car fit n dandy to go biking on Sun the 17th, will it be legal? can I get away with a day’s driving?

nickjb
    Free Member

The car will have a valid MOT and that is usually good enough for plod… but that doesn’t mean it is road legal. If you’ve done all the MOT things then you should be fine

MrNutt
    Free Member

the MOT is just a piece of paper, if your car isn’t up to basic MOT standards it shouldn’t be on the road.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ll just put the red one with the big list in the cupboard and keep the one with 19th april to show plod if they so wish then? it’ll be all fixed by then anyway. just wondering what the “official” thing was.

MrNutt
    Free Member

luck favors the stupid, you’ll be fine. (although you may get caught and subjected to a series of tests, some more mundane than others.)

Drac

Is it now the case the database shows it failed a MOT which means it’s not fit for the road any more superseding the previous MOT.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Two differnt issues – failed MOT and unfit for the road. Depends what it failed on – major structural faults then its not roadworthy and you shouldn’t drive it, techical failures then its fine. You still have a valid MOT

spooky_b329

Is it now the case the database shows it failed a MOT which means it’s not fit for the road any more superseding the previous MOT

Does this mean there is no point taking my van in three weeks early? I thought the whole point of being able to go for the MOT up to a month early was so you could get repairs done before the original expires. I might as well just be disorganised and take it in the day the old MOT expires otherwise…

Drac

Does this mean there is no point taking my van in three weeks early? I thought the whole point of being able to go for the MOT up to a month early was so you could get repairs done before the original expires.

Yeah I thought that too but now not sure how it works, was easy at one time as you just had the certificate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the database will show it failed but unless they told you not to drive it you are covered especially if you have a garage receipt showing everything was fixed.
    You can still take it in early.
    nothing has changed except they have easier access to the same information

boblo
    Free Member

MOT’s valid for 12 months. Even if you take it for another MOT a day after issue of first one and it fails, the first is still valid.

HOWEVER… if you test again before expiry and it fails, you’d be a numpty not to get it fixed wouldn’t you? If stopped, you wouldn’t be done under no MOT but might be under construction and use or driving an unroadworthy vehicle as you would if your tyres passed MOT then wore down before the next was due.

naffrider
    Free Member

Also thinking what spooky is saying as I use a place that only does MOTs and no repairs. So if my van fails early in the month I am then supposed to get it towed to a garage to get it fixed? Pretty sure that cant be correct.

Drac

I am then supposed to get it towed to a garage to get it fixed? Pretty sure that cant be correct.

Well not it’s not as you can drive it to and from a place of repair for MOT work.

falkirk-mark

http://www.mottest.net/mot/mot-failure-question/

end of thread
    kevevs enjoy your weekend

Northwind

What did it fail for? Forget about the certificate and the legality, but do decide on the merits whether it’s a good idea to drive it.

poly
    Free Member

TJ – What’s a technical failure – that is still roadworthy? I can’t think of anything you can fail an MOT for which would not land you 3 points and a fine if stopped by a suitably temperamental traffic cop / VOSA inspection.

user-removed
    Free Member

Emissions?

Kevevs
    Free Member

failed for. a rear spring coil thing broke (99 corsa) and all 4 brake ferules need replacing (ie all hoses + re bleed) and some other little things… anyway, if car on road in morn I Wanna be biking this weekend!

so, is my MOT valid till 19th April?

Kevevs
    Free Member

cheers falkirk-mark good enough for me you beauty!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Poly – cracked headlight glass, emmissions, that sort of thing

Drac

So the answer is a combination of both, no wonder I was confused.

Marko

Brakes hose failure is very common on a Corsa. They can burst, so please don’t drive it until they are fixed.

I claim the moral high ground.

Marko

Drac

It’s getting fixed, and will be fixed by weekend.

You can come down now Marko.

boblo
    Free Member

Chipped screen, headlight alignment, nocturnal emissions, no water in screen bottle therefore ‘not working’ etc etc.

If your car failed on something ‘serious’ even though an MOT would still be in force, you could be prosecuted if stopped for not having a roadworthy vehicle. E.g. MOT 11 months ago, tyres wear to canvas, still MOT’d but illegal.

5lab

but thats the case the day after an mot.

my current biking shed got put into its mot a month early (I always do this to allow for time faffing around with repairs etc). 2 weeks later its got a pass. 10 days after that the back box fell off on the m23 – so I now have a car, with a full 12 months mot with no backbox.

doesn’t seem to sound any different so I’m driving it anyway.

McHamish
    Free Member

you still have a valid MOT, however as said you should take the advice of the garage as to whether it’s still road worthy.

If the brakes are faulty and you run someone over and kill them knowing that you’re brakes were dodgy couldn’t a court argue that you deliberately drove an unsafe car and were therefore guilty of manslaughter?

Northwind

5lab – Member

but thats the case the day after an mot.

it is that. But obviously there’s a difference between conceivably having a problem because nobody’s checked the car over thoroughly since yesterday, and definately having a problem.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘MOT fail question’ is closed to new replies.