Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • most of the time sting chats a load of wibble but for once he speaks the truth
  • kimbers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8355611.stm

my favourite description of this came from here idiot tv for idiots
    i really do believe that crap like this is contributing to the downfall of our society

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Amen.

kimbers

seriously he hasnt done anything good since this…..

but im starting to like him now

scaredypants

wonder if he's going to put any money where his mouth is and promote a "proper" alternative ?

naokfreek
    Free Member

tis true

nickc

And yet the new music scene in this country has never been more vibrant. There's more and more bands and artists producing all sorts of music. You just need to not get it from a prime time telly programme is all.

skidartist
    Free Member

I don't think even the most ardent fans of the X factor see it as anything more than an extravagant gong show, its a bit naive to imagine that it might either contribute or detract from wider musical culture or industry.

sc-xc

I would rather sit through every single audition, rehearsal and song from every single series of X Factor than read any of Sting's music or bullshit. Did anyone read the interview in Q a couple of months ago? Pure ****.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And yet the new music scene in this country has never been more vibrant.

Bearing in mind what happened between 1960 and 1970, I assume that is some sort of joke – right ?

There's nothing particularly wrong with the X Factor imo. The whole music industry is fecked as far as I'm concerned. The post war youth rebellion eventually fizzled out, and today's youth just meekly accept without question, the fashions and tastes which are slickly marketed by middle-aged money-motivated clever buggers.

It's all very sad really 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Jumped up little twerp.

Who'd you rather get trapped in a lift with? Him or Cheryl Cole?

skidartist
    Free Member

I'd rather they both got trapped under a lift
    🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Totally agree with Sting and what he says about X Factor and Simon Cowell, is spot on! Cowell doesn't give a shitte about the performers the man is just out to make as much money from the suckers who vote for the acts on his shows! He winds the public up so they get on their little phones and he's laughing at them for lining his pockets! I detest the bloke and everything he stands for and I can't think of a more obnoxious person at all. There may be some good acts on but the whole programme thing is not about promoting them, it's all about making Cowell richer!

nickc

Bearing in mind what happened between 1960 and 1970, I assume that is some sort of joke – right ?

Not really. new music gets created all the time. Rock behemoths notwithstanding. I'm personally more interested in what's happening now that happened 40-50 years ago

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I think Simon Cowel and the X factor are more damaging to new artist then illegal downloading – if the manipulation of the xmas chart wasn’t enough, with a 13 week marketing campaign for a guaranteed number 1 – He is now manipulating the charts in the weeks up to xmas, by bringing in big acts with new singles to promote
    There is no apparent governance as to the protection of the constants who are rejected, or more accurately the public have been manipulated in to not voting for – the eventual winner been shot in to obscurity was the xmas rush is over
    The product that comes from this program is as bland, boring and tasteless as plastic cheese

skidartist
    Free Member

The singles chart is of no consequence though, not to the music industry proper, you can get a number one from very few sales these days. Thats why it can be exploited by Cowell so easily, nobody else is contesting it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm personally more interested in what's happening now that happened 40-50 years ago

Fair enough. And if you are excluding the 60s then that would certainly explain your claim that "the new music scene in this country has never been more vibrant".

But if you were to compare popular music in past decades, I'll remind you that the 1960-1970 included Rock n Roll, Blues, Soul/Motown, Reggae, and Hippie.

And during the 60s, Mersey Sound/Merseybeat and bands such as the Beatles and the Stones, made Britain the undisputed world leaders of popular music.

I don't think the 'musical achievements' of 2000-2010 will really quite compete……

colnagokid

Sting was last relevant to music when? early 80's? since then he's churned out rehashes of 'classic' 500 year old lute music.
    Not so unlike Mr Cowel then. Tho I know who I'd watch on a saturday night for a bit of 'light entertainment'

nickc

How about "New music is as vibrant as it's ever been" then…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Theodore Sturgeon: "90% of everythng is crud".

jahwomble
    Free Member

Ex pop star in "states the mind numbingly bleeding obvious in an attempt to promote new album, and appear vaguely relevant and credible shocker"

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But what he misses is the point that these people get this opportunity that otherwise they would probably never get.

Any cream will rise to the top (ie, Leonna Lewis – many people clearly like her) and if they all ultimately fail, then so be it. At least this programme is another avenue for them to pursue in their aim of achieving fame.

What is the alternative Sting expects them to take?

kimbers

alternative?
    maybe they could go to their local pub and watch a real band?

or perhaps on a saturday nioght they might read a book !
    or watch a tv programme that expanded their minds
    for examople the excellent series abiout berlin and the wall being shown on the same time on bbc2 at the moment
    -oh no that would never do its thopught provoking and actually teaches you something about the history of europe,
    instead we have the dumbed down masses well about 7million? vierwers just over 10% of the population letting their lives drip away

and mf you are kidding yourself if you think its to do with music its about advertising,filling newspapers with celeb gossip rather than news, selling heat magazine,calendars and cds to the gullible as cowell seeks to extend his monopoly over the music charts with his bland tedious dross

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Personally I cant really see whats wrong with X factor it uses "approximately" the same system of judges as other similar opinion based contests ie dancing, ice skating gymnastics etc etc Although the choice of judges is obviously pretty debatable.

Basically its a singing contest and generally the winners have been able to sing ie Leonna Lewis etc

kimbers I think your missing mastiles_fanylion point he's saying what else would Leonna Lewis have done to get into the record industry. Not what should the people at home do.

At least X factor is generally promoting people with a talent rather than Take That / Boy Zone ie young blokes with very little musical talent and interest and a lot of interest in screaming young women.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and mf you are kidding yourself if you think its to do with music

I am not kidding myself – I am pointing out that this gives them an opportunity to be noticed. If they are any good, they will be listened to. If not, as is usually the case, they are not any good, they will soon fade back into oblivion.

I don't think it has anything to do with emerging new music, but not everyone has talent like some of the new bands that are around. But most of them can actually sing very well and sing (technically) much better than most band vocalists.

It is simply a completely different beast to new music and it doesn't have to be one or the other – they can both occupy their respective spaces in all the media streams.

And like it or not, X Factor is undeniably popular so Cowell and his group of singing monkeys must be doing something right. Right?

kimbers I think your missing mastiles_fanylion point he's saying what else would Leonna Lewis have done to get into the record industry. Not what should the people at home do.

Cheers – explained better than I managed 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

"and mf you are kidding yourself if you think its to do with music its about advertising,filling newspapers with celeb gossip rather than news, selling heat magazine,calendars and cds to the gullible as cowell seeks to extend his monopoly over the music charts with his bland tedious dross "

Generally the performers on the X factor what 3 things.
    1. To Preform
    2. To Earn Money
    3. To be Famous

Generally the managers on the X factor what 1 thing
    1. To Earn Money

Musicians in General want 3 things
    1. To Preform
    2. To Earn Money
    3. To be Famous

Musicians Managers in general want 1 thing
    1. To Earn Money

Whats the difference ? Kimbers you kidding your self if you think some how other artists are any different.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

3. To be Famous

I think that secretly, that's what most people involved in any kind of entertainment want first and foremost, the rest follows but if they ain't in that week's edition of Heat, they know there's something wrong.

EDIT: I'm struggling to understand your post, but you think the contestants just go on to perform above all else? Surely, you can't be serious…schooled musicians they're not (in most cases) – wannabes they most certainly are.

2nd EDIT: Can I just say I thought Danyl's rendition of Purple Rain was very good indeed.

kimbers

i have no problem with people wanting to break into the music business

but x-factor isnt about that its a soap opera dressed up as a talent show i just think its sad that people waste their lives watching so called reality tv when it is so utterly false

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i have no problem with people wanting to break into the music business

But you do have a problem with them doing it via television? The largest mass market opportunity they will ever hope to get to break into the music business.

but x-factor isnt about that its a soap opera dressed up as a talent show i just think its sad that people waste their lives watching so called reality tv when it is so utterly false

That is correct – that is your opinion. I can't argue with that.

samuri
    Free Member

maybe lots of people realise it is just a soap opera and don't care that it's fixed or false. The only bit I like is the care in the community people who get ridiculed at the start. Not because I find taking the mick out of mentally retarted people enjoyable but because I like watching people who are 100% completely convinced that they are the next Michael Jackson argue with Simon and issue death threats against Louie. After that it's boring. Oh, and I like looking at Cheryl. She makes me feel funny.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Oh, and I like looking at Cheryl.

She really is stunning – and I normally don't go for people off the telly and stuff – the last person I had a crush on was Jenny Agutter when I saw her in Railway Children when I was about 10. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm not sure about Chezza myself anymore. She's ok until she opens her mouth and issues cliche after cliche (and her grammar is absolutely shocking, but maybe that's just being snobbish) – she's taken the whole empathy thing which won her so many fans the first time out way too far for my liking. She's now sounding just a bit over-sentimental.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get over yourselves.

Do you want everybody to sit around watching documentaries about human rights abuse in China in their spare time or something?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

documentaries about human rights abuse in China

No, X-Factor is far scarier than that 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We could always send Jedward there*

*Sorry for having advanced knowledge of X Factor.

🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

To be fair X Factor is a competition on who is the 'best' singer, voted by the public. The winner then records a pre-written song that is guaranteed to be Christmas number 1 as it's just had 15 weeks of high-profile promotion.

Talent often involves the drive to push yourself (and your band) to fame (and fortune) and not necessarily be the best singer. I don't think you could say Lennon, Jagger, Stipe, Bono etc. are great 50s/jazz/swing/blues and ballad singers. I've often heard Andrew Ridgley of Wham was the driving force, so despite having zero singing talent Wham made it big because of that, in some part.

X Factor was summarised by my mates wife last year – "I couldn't decide between the two finalists so I voted for them both."

Sigh.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

"I couldn't decide between the two finalists so I voted for them both."

😆

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

he may be a tsser but he knows how to generate publicity / debate just in time for the new album.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but he knows how to generate publicity / debate just in time for the new album.

LOL yes – 'look at all this carp music around at the moment. And look, I have just made some more.'

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘most of the time sting chats a load of wibble but for once he speaks the truth’ is closed to new replies.