Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Most mind-blowingly stupid parts breakage you've had
  • chrisrhayes

Forgetting the bikes were on the roof and slamming them into the car park height restriction.

Luckily the rack bent back and dented the car roof, and the bikes were largely OK.

double doh!

jedi

putting my helmet on the camping stove on wednesday was fooking stoopid 🙂

EdwardH

I crashed on the glencoe downhill track on the first run down with a brand new SRAM X0 deraileur. It took me a while to figure out why I couldnt get the chain onto the bottom three cogs on the cassete – the body of the deraileur was bent in towards the wheel, so causing it to hit the rear axle. Luckilly I was able to salvage the cage which I put onto the old deraileur. When I say "old" it was about three months old and I had snapped the cage on it.

PJay
    Free Member

I'm recovering from the trauma of snapping off the head of a stem clamp bolt whilst fitting my new, and expensive, Sunline stem. Then I paniced and made a complete hash of drilling it out, what a mess! Not happy!

Acdc
    Free Member

Not so much as weird as confusing….
    Riding a blue trail on a hire bike, not going fast but not crawling either, chain fell off… Put it back on ride 10metres – BANG – chain off again but this time rear dérailleur was at fault (normally dog legs backwards and parallel to wheel right?) cept it was now nicely perpendicular to the wheel and to be quite honest totally screwed. I would have understand if I had done something stoopid such as jumping or whacked it into a boulder but no I was on a very gentle ascent with no boulder, stick or other obstacle to break it?

Confusing!

Result: £50 for replacement but I was kinda ‘lucky’ that the derailieur didn’t bend into the spokes – shredded wheels are not the best kind o.0

MrKmkII
    Free Member

my first ever downhill race, about 1996 i think, at hopton woods. got there, unloaded the car, and realized my back wheel was still in a bin liner on my parents lawn! cue searching for a wheel and tyre and cassette to buy. i never got a chance for a practice run so my (single) timed run was my only look at the course. a marshal blew a whistle as i went past and i assumed it was because i had gone the wrong way! i stopped, mid-race and mid-fire road and looked around. there didn’t seem to be much commotion so i carried on, eventually getting to the finish. amazingly, i wasn’t last! i was third from last…

DT78
    Free Member

Rounding my talas 36 bolt thru axle when packing up to leave morzine. Ran round lots of shops but no help.

Luckily we were driving so I was able to wedge the frame with front wheel still attached and fit the other bike and stuff round it.

Would have had issues if we’d flown!

stoney
    Free Member

A very long time ago i was out on the darkside bike and it was starting to get dark so i took my Oakley M frames off and put them in my jersey rear pocket. Got home no problem, put the bike away, went in the house and sat down on the sofa…… 8)

Crunch ❗ One broke pair of sunnies! 😥

The Blue Iridium lens was OK though and i was able to buy another set with a clear lens…….

Also very nearly cross threaded a rear mech on the hanger on my Greg Lemond carbon road frame. Again, a very long time ago but managed to salvage it before it had gone too far on…… 😳

br
    Free Member

Putting new sparkplugs into my zx9r, did the last one up just a bit tight – snap!

Oh, and the sparkplugs sit so far down in the heads that you need a torch to actually see them 😳

valleydaddy
    Free Member

not me but a riding buddy was having shifting misdemeaners and the rear mech wouldn’t go up to top cog so he stopped and pushed the shifter with his foot!!! Why would you do that??

Voila’ a snapped r/h shifter and now a 3 speed bike and a bill for new shifters

nbt

stoney – Member

A very long time ago i was out on the darkside bike and it was starting to get dark so i took my Oakley M frames off and put them in my jersey rear pocket. Got home no problem, put the bike away, went in the house and sat down on the sofa……

Crunch One broke pair of sunnies!

Oakley do new warranty for about £14 which you can use to replace borken frames. I know this, having taken off my m-frames to take a picture, then trodden on them, bending the lens and breaking the frame. Lens bent back, frames replaced for £14…

stoney
    Free Member

Thanks for that ntb… but when i said a long time ago , it was in the mid 90s. They were the origional M frames with the seperate hinged arms, It was the cetre frame that snapped and the lens was fine…. (which i still have the arms and placed on the bay for 99p, but there were no takers from 4 watchers) 😥

I will however bear that in mind as i still have M frames and a set of Radars! 😉

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Managing to bodge a RH pedal into an LH crank

Hahaha. I wouldn’t have thought that was possible. 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Reversed over a hope pro 2 rear wheel that I hadn’t packed in the car in Cwmcarn car park a few months ago

Ambrose

1. Short cut through the ferry that ended up with me tearing the bike off the rack, snapping the roofrail and denting the roof BIG time. Arrived in Morzine later that day. It was my youngest son’s bike with a 7 speed cassette. You try and get a replacement wheel in DH central at short notice.

2. Tried to bend the mech back into place. Snaped an XTR mech. Mind you, for some reason the nice on-line bike bits shop might have sent me an extra one 🙂

3. Alcohol lubricated late night maintenance has killed my DT Swiss rear hub 🙁

4. If you reverse your car over your rolf wheel the hub cant be fixed with a blowlamp.

5. Microbore central heating piping makes very poor bushes.

FWIW I have learnt from each and every mistake. So have my friends- they avoid my maintenance.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Most mind-blowingly stupid parts breakage you've had’ is closed to new replies.