Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Most incongruous sports sponsorship
  • SaxonRider

I am not a huge follower of football, but I have always had passive affection for Newcastle United, and hoped that they would do well.

I was certainly influenced in my appreciation by the old striped kit with the Newcastle Brown Ale logo, but good lord does the new kit look like hell.

Not only that, but I think I would rather go bankrupt than be sponsored by Wonga. How and why did that disaster happen? I swear, the Toon’s fortunes would improve if they could find some more appropriate, local name to put on their chests.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, my Rugby League Team once had ‘Padken Steel Erection’ as the sponsor….. http://www.oldrugbyshirts.com/en/teams/l/leigh/shirt-s2254.html

binners

How and why did that disaster happen?

Same way every other disaster happens at the Two Trackies For a Tenner Stadium…

mtbfix

Nike’s now lapsed sponsor of the president of the IAAF. Conflict of interest much?

chrismac

Coe and Nike? 30 years ago when he could run a bit then fair enough. But now?

bigbeard
    Free Member

Amgen – sponsors of the Amgen Tour of California – make EPO

binners

Coe and Nike? 30 years ago when he could run a bit then fair enough. But now?

Now? Now he can deliver a lucrative World Championship venue. He’s now far more useful. Seems to have got away with it too

maccruiskeen

Curious choice of sponsor for a sport which (at the time certainly) seemed to have bob all interest in women and which can cause permanent erectile disfunction in its male participants. 🙂

(the guy on the right is taking a test just now, I don’t think its good news for his biological passport if it turns blue!)

thegreatape
    Free Member

There was a motorbike racing team – Chesterfield ? – that was at one time sponsored by the schoolboys favourite grumble mag Club International.

MoreCashThanDash

I love the Predictor Lotto thing – a lottery and a pregnancy test. It’s like metaphor for life.

Didn’t Durex sponsor an F1 team in the 70s or is that a myth?

binners

Not Formula 1, but Superbikes…

maccruiskeen

Didn’t Durex sponsor an F1 team

I miss those adverts – the ones with the dogs

Great days

maccruiskeen

Sorry, not those dogs, these dogs

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iltwp7qT18A[/video]

nealglover
    Free Member

Didn’t Durex sponsor an F1 team in the 70s or is that a myth?

Yes, they sponsored the Surtees team.

chorlton
    Free Member

Had to laugh when I pulled on to a local primary school car park and noticed that the mini bus was sponsored by the Daily and Sunday Sport. 😀

IdleJon

binners – Member
    Not Formula 1, but Superbikes…

I seem to remember one of their riders always having the number 69, which amused my childish mind immensely.

JulianA
    Free Member

Hesketh were sponsored at one time by Penthouse and Rizla!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not sponsorship but whoever thought that a big hairy dog was a good thing to associate with dulux paint has clearly never glossed their woodwork.

maccruiskeen

Not sponsorship but whoever thought that a big hairy dog was a good thing to associate with dulux paint has clearly never glossed their woodwork.

Same could be said of Sudocreme’s new mascot

jimjam
    Free Member

Don’t think the UFC fighters were too impressed with the logo placement, but they were well paid.

blader1611
    Free Member

Weren’t Arsenal sponsored by Sega but had to blank it out for an Italian match because over there it meant w**ker.

njee20
    Free Member

Not only that, but I think I would rather go bankrupt than be sponsored by Wonga. How and why did that disaster happen? I swear, the Toon’s fortunes would improve if they could find some more appropriate, local name to put on their chests.

Whilst a curious pairing geographically Wonga have done vast amounts to turn their business around after the frankly horrific activities they engaged in under their previous leadership. I’m not quite sure why they even kept the name, the entire board has changed!

slowoldman

Yes, they sponsored the Surtees team.

Ah yes, the team with the small family cars.

jairaj

anyone remember the Atomic Kitten sponsored BTCC car:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Most incongruous sports sponsorship’ is closed to new replies.