• This topic has 57 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Most expensive bike bit for what it is
  • Dirtynap
    Free Member

i think the conclusion is, cycling is a bloody rip off!!

Well actually no. if you pop to halfruads you can be up cycling fully kitted out for just a few hundred quid. Which is less than the price of a set of over priced suspension forks.

While on the subject shock service costs are a joke. It costs £200 to get the front and rear shocks serviced. My car costs £120 and the cambelt service only cost me £220.

BlingBling
    Free Member

XTR cassette £160 RRP, that's about £1 a mile if you ride on the road….in the dry.

smoggy
    Free Member

Velcro………quite expensive………i'd go as far as to say……….. it's a "rip off"!!!!

Sorry, i'll get my coat.

Zone
    Free Member

2nd the xtr cassette.. 🙁

But suspension forks are way over priced…. and I sell them!

£700 to £800+ for suspension forks… 😯 It's just wrong.

Just keep in mind people where astounded at fork over £500 only 18 months ago.

Zone

gazc
    Free Member

agree about the suspension forks, well some anyway – my £500+ revelations make knocking noises because rockshox 'forgot' to shim out the travel adjusters and it needs doing aftermarket… jokers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

"brake pads at £20ish a set ford focus £25 per axle(2sets)why are manufacturers pads so dear (but disco and superstar are about £6 and are imo as good in terms of wear and performance)) and does anyone buy them
    !sits back and waits for torent of abuse as to why SS etc are shite! g
    "

superstar pads oer wheel ~£5
    cheep OEM car pads per wheel ~£5

Given the cost of manufacturing both is probably comparable I fail to see your complaint, I was looking at £45 brakepads (per wheel) the other day for my car!

"
    XTR cassette £160 RRP, that's about £1 a mile if you ride on the road….in the dry.
    "

What road are you riding on! I get 3000miles from a chain on the road! 10k easily form a cassette (and 4 chains)!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

That shimano yumeya stuff. In my personal frame of reference it's just the ultimately in tosser-y.

Hey ho, it ain't my cash 😉

Bimbler
    Free Member

The Hope GXP >> Hope/Shimano BB converter. £9ish for two little aluminium rings, in fact these

FuzzyWuzzy

Fork seals get my vote:

Seal Kit, 40mm, Totem
    RockShox Fork Seal Kit, 40mm. Fits Totem forks. Comprises 2 Samurai wiper seals, 2 oil seals.
    Price : £34.99

Four bits of rubber for £35…?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's lots

£4 Fox Shock bushes can be had for £1
    Crank Bros 4Ti Pedals? WTF!?
    £40 chains that work and last no better than £10 ones
    Cycle specific greases and oils – Fork oil especially!
    Chainring prices for anyhting above Deore. All makes, all OTT.

MrAgreeable

I just Googled for Speen Umlenker and it's even more ridiculous than I thought! I think we have a winner…

MrAgreeable

Hijack: the tyres have now joined the other 30 pairs in my shed! Cheers Pete!

MrAgreeable

Cycle specific greases and oils – Fork oil especially!

Anything is cheaper when you buy in bulk. Personally I'd pay a premium not to have an enormous tin of manky fluff-encrusted grease taking up a shelf in my shed. 😉

Motocross fork oils are knocking on for MTB prices, and I reckon they've got better economies of scale than Rock Shox or Fox.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Tyres/innertubes – overpriced by a mile. I once got told that innertubes cost 11pence to make.

Road bike handlebar tape – average is about £7, in reality I reckon they cost pence to make.

Would have to agree with road STI's, even Sora are over £100 a pair now.

marsdenman
    Free Member

goodridge brake cables?

yup, I used to work folk that make the brake hose for them………. Goodridge were one of my accounts….

takisawa2

I'd always considered kit from Hope to be expensive, but considering its UK made, & CNC'd from solid, its actually not that bad.
    I'll bet your talking pence each for some of the cast bits that Shimano use.

That £7k Scott, now that's overpriced. £7k gets you a bloody nice car!!!

robinbetts
    Free Member

+1 Mech Hangers! Rararara!

gazc
    Free Member

crank bolt washers – a shop tried charging me a quid each when i needed 5!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Most expensive bike bit for what it is’ is closed to new replies.