Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Most cost effective way to get a new driver on the road?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

My 19 year old has just past his test and is gagging to get on the road.
    We'd like him to have a decent motor with the usual safety features,
    abs, air bags etc. I really don't want him to drive an old banger just to keep the cost down. But blimey, we've tried a few motors, mainly 1.0 1.2's and anything remotely newish (8 years ish)is going to cost £2000 plus on insurance. Anyone got any tips for getting the cost down? He's doing his pass+ but some insurance companies don't take that into consideration anyway. The other factor going against him is he's a strapping 6'2 and won't fit in a cinquecento!
    Is there any wonder that teenagers are the most heavily loaded individuals when all they can drive are dodgy hulks with 100,000 miles on the clock on 3rd pary f&f!

scaredypants

I think citroen might do free or cheap insurance with their new cars – maybe they do same for dealer bought older ones ?

Who_else
    Free Member

You get bonus accelerator schemes and you also get policies that give ncb for named drivers.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

iirc the fwew insurance things only apply in some cases (generaly not new drivers, 19yrs old).

i'm in the same boat, and will probably be getting an old banger in the not too distant future.

mrmo
    Free Member

to be blunt he is 19, a new driver and male, as far as the insurance industry is concerned he is going to crash the car. Does he need his own car, can he be a named driver on a policy, beyond that there is nothing you can really do, just accept it is going to cost, the pass plus got a few hundred off my first insurance policy a couple of years ago, but at 32 age certainly helped. my Octavia 1.9Tdi cost c£700 as a new driver.

Might explain why so many drivers don't have insurance these days!

IanMunro
    Free Member

We'd like him to have a decent motor with the usual safety features
    If you get him one without them he might be less likely to try them out.
    There's nothing like seeing a thin bit of rusting metal between you and the outside world, to put you in touch with your own mortality 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

LOL @ Ian! I'll get him a Pug 106 then. Sorted!!

IA

As above, if it's his name it will cost, whatever the car.

I'm tall (6'4") and the only small cars I can drive comfortably in your presumed (low) price range are fiestas (what i had just after I passed, shared with my mum, in her name) and puntos. Puntos are amazingly big inside. Fiestas a fair bit safer.

jonb
    Free Member

Back in the day it was cheaper for me to add my mum than it was to be insured solo.

Third party only.
    Cheap Car

Think I paid £600 for a 12 year old clio, 3rd party. Face it, Male, 19 new car, just passed, he's very likely to be involved in an accident and is high risk for insurance companies.

alwyn
    Free Member

Bite the bullet for the first few years, it will slowly come down. Trying to be a cheap skate with named driver etc means you will be in the same situation next year or whenever he gets his own car. They're the ones selling the product they know all the loop holes.

Jammy111
    Free Member

add yourself as a named driver, it brings the quote down miles. im 21 and paying 500 quid on a seat ibiza sc with the parents on as named drivers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Most cost effective way to get a new driver on the road?’ is closed to new replies.