Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Morzine Pleney lift shut this summer – confirmed!
  • dashed
    Free Member

Just had it confirmed that Pleney will be shut ALL summer – lots of rumours around over this but the tourist office confirmed yesterday. No replacement alternatives announced yet so access to Les Gets will be interesting 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Having pushed up once I won’t be doing that again. Hope they sort something out.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Thats not good.
    I think i’ll be going somewhere else this summer.

Stoner
    Free Member

Is not most of the decent stuff up from Lindaret anyway?

dashed
    Free Member

It’s the link to Les Gets – prob be a bus service. But yes, Super Morzine lift is the one that goes out the otherside to Les Lindaret and Chatel etc and that’s still running. Not the end of the world tbh – we’re still going 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

Nope, the many unofficial trails off of the Pleney are outstanding

Looks like a picked a good year to have a non-biking honeymoon!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Bugger, staying in Morziene to do the Passportes…should be interesting.

nickjb
    Free Member

is not most of the decent stuff up from Lindaret anyway?

for me one of big positives of morzine is the variety which definitely includes some great stuff around the plenny. Also we usually go with a mixed group including non riders so the plenny runs and lift make it easy to meet up during the day. We’ll certainly miss it.

leeph
    Free Member

Ooh dear. Always used the Plenney for the last runs of the day….used to stay open later than other lift.

bigyim
    Free Member

im booked to go this august for the first time, will it be worth going now? Dont know much about the alps

legend
    Free Member

Yes definitely still worth going as the area is huge and the Pleney just makes up one small part of it. If you like you’re going very steep then you’ll miss not being able to access the unofficial runs on that hill, otherwise you’ll be just fine (assuming they put on a decent bus link to Les Gets, which I’m sure they will)

allthepies
    Free Member

<other* apline MTB destinations are available>

* much better IMO

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ooh dear. Always used the Plenney for the last runs of the day….used to stay open later than other lift.

used to start and end holidays (arrived early, left late) with day passes just for Pleney lift, sessioning (as I believe it is called 😉 ) the DH to get yer eye in/finish off.

m booked to go this august for the first time, will it be worth going now? Dont know much about the alps

Yes, just dont stay in Les Gets (its a road climb back from Morzine). It effectively cuts off Les Gets resort and one popular Morzine DH run (with off shoots), but going the ‘other’ way (up to Avoriaz and over) opens up the rest of the area, which is huge…

The good burghers and tourist office of Les Gets must be livid and I can’t imagine there wont be a replacement/alternative before the summer (even if its just a bus uplift like they use in Chatel).

nigew
    Free Member

Big Yim- Yes definatley still worth going, as others have already said Super Morzine lift gives access to a much wider area of riding and other lifts.

Blower
    Free Member

pleney singletrack of cheek is the dogs danglies.

a shame for that lift.

but the PDS is massive and loads more to do.

if bus goes to les gets can get lift back up to top to ride back a bit and at least finish on one of the cheeky lines on pleney 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Shhhhh, No lies, everyone should go to Les Gets and clog those lifts up. They are the best. Its an established fact.

Does anyone know the opening dates for this year yet, want to go in June but looking at last years dates looks like it might be a waste as looking at two weeks and venturing further than normal.

godzilla
    Free Member

Would be nice if the Pleny closure was reflected in the lift pass prices, staying with Ride Morzine/Flow at the beginning of Aug, anyone else in the area that time?

I_Ache
    Free Member

There is a chairlift just to the left of the bubble, I wonder how much work it takes to make these carry bikes. There was certainly nothing attached to the top section that could a few weeks ago.

Edit: on the plus side I’m now looking forward to a new faster bubble for skiing next year.

legend
    Free Member

I_Ache are you thinking of the wee Cable Car? There’s no chairlift that runs up the Pleney beside the Gondola. The Cable Car might be an option, but it’s slow and too small to be of any real use

IIRC there’s 27 lifts open to bikes in the PDS? Don’t think they’ll be reducing the cost just because they reduce that by 1 for the summer (and put on a replacement service – probably)

shaggmiester
    Free Member

[/quote]legend – Member
    Yes definitely still worth going as the area is huge and the Pleney just makes up one small part of it. If you like you’re going very steep then you’ll miss not being able to access the unofficial runs on that hill, otherwise you’ll be just fine (assuming they put on a decent bus link to Les Gets, which I’m sure they will)
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah I like em very steep!! Is this the best part of morzine? If so, is it still worth going?

Blower, we can’t go to chamonix this July cos of the bike ban so decide to go to morzine and now they tell me the only lift to the best steep stuff is closed!! 😥

I_Ache
    Free Member

Look at the piste map, there is a chair lift that is maybe 100m to the left of the gondola (as you look up the hill) it stops half way up and there is another that does the top half.

On my piste map its listed as TS la Crusaz which leads onto the TS des Mouilles. And that stops just on the other side of the top lift house.

I thought the blue cable car was used exclusively for the Viking and kids ski lessons.

legend
    Free Member

You mean the right of the gondola when looking up the hill then, had me proper confused for a minute!

I stand corrected though, TS de la Crusaz is the luge lift isn’t it? so obviously runs through the summer already. The problem I suppose is whether they want to spend the $$ modifying the lifts for the sake of one summer

Yeah I like em very steep!! Is this the best part of morzine? If so, is it still worth going?

The concentration of steep trails is the highest on the Pleney, but it’s still certainly worth going to the area! Maybe base yourself in Chatel instead of the ‘Zine this time round?

nigew
    Free Member

Shaggmeister- There are steep tracks on The Super Morzine side too!

I_Ache
    Free Member

You mean the right of the gondola when looking up the hill then

Ha ha, I can’t believe I was that stupid to mix up my left and right. There was me getting all internet warrior about it and it was me being thick.

Sorry about that.

legend
    Free Member

No worries, I obviously reported your post anyway 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Deservedly so I think.

Blower
    Free Member

Shag super morzine and champery are steep well enough
    Like someone said there are 27 lifts to use yes 27!
    2 lifts in morzine to get out if morzine either side to get to the other stuff
    One is pleney which gets you to les gets which for me I don’t bother with there as not keen apart from that ridgeline so its pleney hillside itself were missing out on

My only gripe is super morzine lift will be far too busy but this lift takes you to all the other stuff plus the nice stuff on that hillside

Obviously shag spose to b riding wi ya n showing ya so why you say that to me in her I dunno why :mrgreen:

flap_jack
    Free Member

the luge lift doesn’t take you high enough IIRC, and is rather fragile.

the Les Gets bit of the passportes is going to be very interesting, that’ll be complete;y bottlenecked however they do it. We’ll be on XC bikes so shall be able to ride up the road, wouldn’t fancy it on a DHer.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Blower – Member
    Shag super morzine and champery are steep well enough
    Like someone said there are 27 lifts to use yes 27!
    2 lifts in morzine to get out if morzine either side to get to the other stuff
    One is pleney which gets you to les gets which for me I don’t bother with there as not keen apart from that ridgeline so its pleney hillside itself were missing out on
    My only gripe is super morzine lift will be far too busy but this lift takes you to all the other stuff plus the nice stuff on that hillside
    Obviously shag spose to b riding wi ya n showing ya so why you say that to me in her I dunno why
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Ok, u iz me guide!! Show me de lines!! 8)

supertacky
    Free Member

The majority of the steep stuff is away from the plenney anyway as people have already said.

The only issue I fear are the huge ques likely to build up at the Super Morzine bubble in the mornings.

Were heading out in July and I cannae wait!

Braapp

robbieclay

Le Pleney closure annoying for DH sessioners on the Morzine/Les Gets circuit, and late announcement doesn’t help, but…….for riders who want to venture out on the awesome high XC and AM stuff further afield, Super Morzine and particularly Prodains up to Avoriaz are better bets anyway. (Cheeky plug in the face of others’ adversity but that’s why our chalet is near the Prodains lift http://www.wildbike.co.uk . Check it out)

BoardinBob

An update!

http://mymorzine.com/summer-mtb-in-morzine/

Further steps are also being examined to safeguard Mountain Biking in the Pléney area, and improve the flow capacity of the lift links between Morzine and Les Gets, by way of the the “Crusaz” and “Mouilles” chairlifts. More information will follow on this subject as soon as possible.

hora
    Free Member

On my last visit – last year I had to push up to the top of Monte Cherie as the second lift was closed to bikes/walkers only. Pity as the run along the top of the ridge to the back of Les Gets was/is good and so is the run down from the top of Monte Cherie (second half still there).

What will the armchair international DH Gods do now with Pleney shut? 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

Clog up the other lifts I imagine…

andytherocketeer

On my last visit – last year I had to push up to the top of Monte Cherie as the second lift was closed to bikes/walkers only

It’s a ye olde worlde slow 2man (or 4man?) i think?
    I rode up the gravel track that kinda zigzags up. Bit of a slog, but worth it.
    Nice ST at the top along the ridge, and a nifty bit thru the trees about 4inches wide on the backside of Mont Chery.

dashed
    Free Member

robbieclay – Member
    (Cheeky plug in the face of others’ adversity but that’s why our chalet is near the Prodains lift http://www.wildbike.co.uk . Check it out)

I thought prodains lift was shut in summer anyway? It only goes to Avoriaz anyway, so you’re no better off than staying in Morzine… Apart from the fact you’re in the middle of nowhere 😆

hora
    Free Member

TBH its time a new venue was given business. When beers etc etc start to cost a small fortune the place is no longer reaping the benefits/getting good business put their way off-peak but royally starting to take the piss.

I’d rather ride somewhere where there aren’t queues for lifts etc etc. I didn’t even bother going over to the new stuff as I’d heard how busy it was. I like the ‘out there’ feel- just like you get on a very early morning Peaks etc ride.

andytherocketeer

Only queues I remember were Pleney. Might have had to wait 3-4 chairs for Chatel Bike Park and Chavannes lift at Les Gets, which tbh is barely a queue.

Biggest queue was Perrieres, but then it was French Championships, and we were peds that day so skip the queue 🙂 (every 4th chair has no bike thingy iirc).

But yep, I’ve skied PdS 6 times, and MTBed there once, so that’s that ticked off for now, and need to try somewhere different.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I sometimes wonder where the image of the “Pleny Warrior” comes from. I know the lift is intrinsic in linking Les Gets to the wider PDS, but it’s a long, slow, baking hot bubble – I could maybe do a few runs of the Pleny tracks of a n afternoon, but after a while the lift would become very tedious.

The Pleny has some decent riding, the trails don’t seem to suffer half as badly from braking bumps as they’re reputed to, certainly nothing like as bad as Les Gets.

Morzine/Avoriaz is possibly the least VTT friendly resort in the PDS – they don’t seem to have enough trail crews, they don’t produce a detailed map, they often close earlier in the season than Les Gets and Chatel. I’d be surprised to see them come up with much in the way of a solution.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Morzine Pleney lift shut this summer – confirmed!’ is closed to new replies.