Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Morzine
  • chrispuppet

Hey all.
    Planning a trip to Morzine next year and have a few questions.
    1) are there some lifts open before June 10th or should we wait til then?
    2)any ideas of where to have an overnight on the way down? We are driving down and thought we might have an afternoon ride on the way
    3) any tips or stuff we need to know ? First time heading there

Much thanks folks

P-Jay
    Free Member

1) sometimes they open early, soemtimes they don’t – I wouldn’t gamble on going before, you can climb of course, but sod that.

2) no idea, it’s a shit drive, I’d rather get it done with. Leave before dawn, get there for dinner.

3) There’s loads of threads, but:

Try not do drag brake down the trails, it cooks your brakes and eats pads.

It rains a lot, sometimes you’re lucky, sometimes it rains every day. Take clothes / tyres to reflect that. If you’re new to steeper stuff, take lots of brake pads.

Try not to bin it on day 1, spending days sulking around the digs whilst your mates ride sucks, done it twice.

Get some gravity experience if you don’t have already, it a lot steeper than the UK by and large, the trails are longer.

nickdavies

Wouldnt bother with an afternoon ride, just a bit of a ballache. Get a late ferry, hotel f1 an hour or so from the coast and then crack on get the drive done and be in morzine late afternoon. If you really want to ride elsewhere the saleve cablecar is the best bet but it’s only an hour and a bit from morzine. If your taking trail bikes the Jura is a lovely place for a couple of days riding.

Here’s your lift dates: https://www.morznet.com/lifts/summer-dates

Otherwise searching will give plenty of opinions on the place, will usually be a bit of rain so don’t just take summer gear. Riding is super varied so what your after might help a bit.

kiksy
    Free Member

Strong DH tyres.

Also do a bit of research of what kind of trails you want to ride beforehand and get some names/rough locations. The sign posting is patchy at best, and the best trails can be tricky to find.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for not bothering with breaking the journey for a ride. The motorways are fast and easy to drive on, just get the miles in, and its a dull bit of countryside. We normally stop at an f1. Leave after work, drive until late, bed, get up and get there. Works well. Where depends on timing but I think we’ve stopped at most of them over the years. Reims and Troyes are probably the most common. Limited food options though. Packed lunch, motorway services, or mcds.

I wouldn’t go before all the lifts are open. Even if a couple are open its not a patch riding there fully open.

Speeder

kiksy – Member
    Strong DH tyres.

+1 – You won’t notice the extra couple of pounds of weight and the extra grip and puncture protection will be a god send especially when you realise you should have taken some with you when you see the in resort pricing.

nigew
    Free Member

Get some gravity experience if you don’t have already, it a lot steeper than the UK by and large, the trails are longer

Good advice!

mattkkitch

2) France is great for very cheap motels near motor way exits, they’re often open 24/7 and don’t have staff, you pay with your card on a machine. Having said that depending where you set of from it’s doable in one go, especially if you have two drivers.

3) Take a day trip to Pila, especially if there’s a few days of rain in Morxine.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Definitely go with the lifts fully open, even one of the link ones down means a long slow climb instead of a long, fast descent!

We stayed in a Hotel F1 Reims, about 2-3 hours from Calais and 19 hours from Glasgow (horrible M6 and stupid sat nav diversion), was very basic but perfect for 4 hours sleep and a shower. Left around 5 hours to Chatel the next day feeling half human. Fairly sure it was around £30, booked it not bothered if it got cancelled.

chrispuppet

Cheers all. Sound advice. I will be booking very soon. Sorry for delayed response I was supposed to be biking in Wales all weekend but it seemed to turn into a boating trip! Very damp. Think the hotel and get there plan sounds a winner. The guy I am borrowing truck from does that each March. Thanks again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Morzine’ is closed to new replies.