Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Morzine
  • marco
    Free Member

Well, just got back from a week in Morzine and can honestly say it is the best place I have ridden a bike. Some of the most awesome downhill stuff ever!
    The end

justatheory
    Free Member

It is pretty darn amazing isn’t it.

JEngledow
    Free Member

We’ll be there in 2weeks (my 3rd visit) and I can hardly wait 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep. That’s why we keep going back. Tried other places and considered lots more but Morzine is hard to top.

thegman67

Love Morzine. Their in two weeks for my third visit.

micos145
    Free Member

We are first timers going next week, if you had to choose a few best places, what would you recommend to start on and progress to. We pretty comfortable at Antur, up to the black drop off and doubles!

duff
    Free Member

I’m going next Sat – spending a small fortune on bits and kit!! Fingers crossed it’s not as wet as is forecast this coming week.

What trails really stood out?

weeksy

Im here now. Its rubbish lol.

johnhe

I love Morzine. My wife and daughter, who don’t ride bikes, say it’s their favourite place in all the world.

marco
    Free Member

micos145 and duff
    My faves are the 2 blues and black from the Pleney.
    Also the link up between Pleney and Les Gets is really fast and flowy. Anything in Les Gets is awesome.
    In fact even the green from Les Gets to Nanchette (?) is ace.
    Also Le Canyon black is very good – just be careful with the roots!!

micos145
    Free Member

Thanks.

godzilla
    Free Member

Did you get over to Champery & Morgins? I’m always surprised how many people never make it past Morzine and Les gets.

Fat-boy-fat

It’s a bit damp at the moment. Really felt for the guys doing the ppds today. Miserable.

moniex
    Free Member

Anyone there with youngsters in tow 2-9 august at all?

Simone

hofnar
    Free Member

Totally soaked today not too many survivors by the time the sun broke through.

poonprice
    Free Member

One thing not to like about Morzine, they make you wear budgie smugglers in the pool.

Everything else is awesome, your can’t beat.. mountain chalet, fresh pastries, all day gravity riding and evening beers.. All the place needs is a few coach loads of attractive women to dilute the man-ness.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Yep Man-zine does tend to be a bit of a cock-fest, but that does help me to get the pass from the wife!!

moniex
    Free Member

I love the morzine pool 😉

Spin
    Free Member

I thought it was soulless and dull but everyone’s different aren’t they?

weeksy

The pool was soulless?

nickjb
    Free Member

Not the one in Avoriaz. Rubber ring half pipe!!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Haven’t been for a few years now, but it used to be our favourite place. I think we did 7 riding trips, think maybe there is better riding elsewhere, but it’s by far the liveliest Alpine place I’ve been to in the summer.

Maybe a trip back next year, see how it’s changed!

Speeder

I haven’t been since they turned the open bit into a BMX track but I’d recommend a few laps of the Zore lift going into the woods as a warm up if it’s dry then head out over to Linderets/Chatel and see what takes your fancy.

I’ve only ever been over there on a big bike to ride the DH stuff but really quite fancy taking my 150mm and having a bit more of a big day of riding kind of holiday. I always felt like I was missing loads of stuff just riding down mostly marked or cheeky Dh trails.

Hope anyone that goes this year has a great holiday.

zedz
    Free Member

Thanks Speeder, We are off to find out what it’s like, leaving Friday. Weather looks like lots of thunderstorms according to forecast, whilst the UK basks in a heatwave 🙄

Speeder

It’s unlikely to be very accurate this far out. It’s the mountains and will change hourly. The good news is that even if it’s wet it can dry out enough to be pretty rideable in hours and bone dry in a couple of days.

Hope you get dry & dusty trails.

Oh and I have good experience of that in August (not that that’s any help)

weeksy

We had Fri, Sun, and Mon forecast as rain/thunder.

It was lovely on Thurs, Fri and half of Sat.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

With it being a fairly low resort, you do get a lot more rain there than other areas.

But it dries fairly quickly, although it can be pretty slick when it’s wet, begin mostly clay based, rather than the rock you get at higher resorts.

Normally it’s just the English out riding when it was like that, I guess we’re used to it 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Try this for forecasts – much more accurate for local forecasts as the big models don’t cope with the variable conditions in the mountains:
    http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Out in 2 weeks – can’t wait 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weather. It’s the mountains and can be quite unpredictable and quite localised. First PdS I did we had glorious sunshine whilst 10km away in Villars there where hailstones the size of 5p pieces.

Once you’ve ridden the roots and rocks of the Alps in the wet you’ll not complain about UK trails being slippery ! Everything is “bigger” including the weather, its all part of the adventure.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

what is the best way to get from Morzine to Chatel bike park?

last year we rode along a pretty flat green trail from the top of the Zore lift then pedalled up the main road through Avoriaz to the top of the Lindarets lift, down under that then up and over into Chatel….

was hoping we missed a turning onto some amazing connection trail…??

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Has no-one on this thread ventured outside Morzine?

It is very good but I’ve ridden in places I’d consider better, even just because they’re less crowded.

BoardinBob

.what is the best way to get from Morzine to Chatel bike park?

last year we rode along a pretty flat green trail from the top of the Zore lift then pedalled up the main road through Avoriaz to the top of the Lindarets lift, down under that then up and over into Chatel….

was hoping we missed a turning onto some amazing connection trail…??

Don’t head all the way to Avoriaz. The PPDS route opposite a restaurant halfway along the flat bit drops you down to Lindarets bowl

LoCo
    Free Member

Hopefully get down there for a weekend next month testing with the Project enduro 4 wheeled DH bike, first time for 12 years 😯

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Nice one bob!

Pimpmaster – this thread is called ‘Morzine’ why would we talk about anywhere else?

godzilla
    Free Member

this thread is called ‘Morzine’ why would we talk about anywhere else?

Because the lift system you pay for to ride the Pleney all day actually takes you to other awesome places?
    Because some people refer to Portes du Soleil as “Morzine”?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pimpmaster – this thread is called ‘Morzine’ why would we talk about anywhere else?

😆

Because other places have cheaper beer!

jambalaya
    Free Member

what is the best way to get from Morzine to Chatel bike park?

@jaejoffer – as above don’t go to Avoriaz. There are some really nice red trails down into Linderets from the Morzine side. It is quite easy to ride past them if you are not paying attention. Look for large wooden gate entrances on your left when on the gravel road. From Linderets just take the lift up to the top (Chaux/Fleurie) then round Green trail Panoramic to middle of bike park or ride the red down from the top.

Map Here

jambalaya
    Free Member

EDIT: jaojoffer – there isn’t an “amazing” trail when riding from Morzine to Linderets. The pedal up from top of Morzine is OK and the red sections under the lift are the highlights.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Has no-one on this thread ventured outside Morzine?

By this do you mean other parts of the Alps or just other areas within the Portes Du Soleil?

If you mean the former then we go to Morzine as it has so many DH runs in a relatively small area.

If you mean the latter then I always presumed that everyone tried to ride as many different trails as possible, we use Morzine as a ‘base’ for riding the DH runs in the whole region and not just the Pleney (although I do like the Pleney)!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

cheers jambo. figured we must’ve missed a turn. so are the gates along the green path from Zore or actually on the main road opposite that restaurant? ill be looking out for em now anyway…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Morzine’ is closed to new replies.