Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Mortgages – who's on a repayment and who's on an interest only mortgage?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just asking because a friend just told us they are going to move from their already pretty substantial house to somewhere bigger, they both have nice cars and both have multiple personal trainer sessions each week (amongst other fripperies) despite not being in particularly well-paid jobs (not low paid, but not silly money either).

Then I just found out they only have an interest only mortgage and plan on doing the same again. Is it just me or is that utter madness these days?

legend
    Free Member

Depends, are they also piling money away to pay it all off one day?

djambo
    Free Member

Daft in my opinion. With rates so low in my opinion it’s a good time to pay down capital.

With low inflation mortgage debt isn’t being inflated away like it used to be. And of course rising prices ain’t going to last forever!

johndoh
    Free Member

Depends, are they also piling money away to pay it all off one day?

They could be, but judging by the money they seem to spend on other things I can’t see how!

solamanda
    Free Member

How old are they? Some people don’t plan further than a few years ahead.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i would say so.
    saying that my other half has 60k of hers as interest only as that got her in the flat she wanted at the time. that could be paid off now but its going on an extension which is actually a better thing to do as the numbers make sense and she ends up with a property worth well north of 500k and 60-70% equity in the property.
    me personally i don’t like the idea but thats nowhere near as dodgy as what your friends are doing (all IMHO)

dooosuk
    Free Member

How does the interest only mortgage repayments compare to the rental price for similar properties?

Seems odd to me. We’re overpaying like crazy on our mortgage.

johndoh
    Free Member

How old are they? Some people don’t plan further than a few years ahead.

Early 40s

He has just bought a lovely Defender and is about to have it Twisted though so I can see why he wouldn’t want to spend all of his money on little details like a home 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

We’re interest only as I prefer to have control over my asset investment exposure.

We have investments in over 20 different assets the house being just one of them. We have amortised our mortgage from surpluses over the years to a point at which I don’t want to reduce it any more but rather invest surplus now into other assets at a better rate than the current interest cost on our outstanding loan.

The LTV on our mortgage is sufficiently low that I have no concerns about the security of our home.

jekkyl

you say they’re planning on doing so again? they might come unstuck if they can’t prove a repayment vehicle.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Interest-only/offset mortgage here.

What I like about it is that I can see my offset savings account (don’t specifically have to have one but I do), and at the start of the month I put anything left over from the previous month plus a chunk from this months salary after all the various payments go out.

I put a reasonably ‘aggressive’ amount from this months money in and then try to make it to the end of the month without pulling any of it back, so it is ‘gamifying’ my saving, a bit like resetting the mpg figure on the trip meter at the start of a trip and then trying to achieve a high mpg figure for the trip.

But if I have a bad month I might have to pull some money back into the current account.

I am about to get divorced so am moving to a cheaper place to free up some money for settlement whilst porting the same mortgage, and will have to spend some of the offset savings on doing this next place up as it is in a bit of a state. Having the money readily available in the offset savings account has therefore proven useful.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Unless your doing something like Stoner, interest only is madness!
    FiL has found that out to his cost as was IO for at least 17 yrs, having many good holidays and pandering to MiL’s spending habits (fridge that always resembled Fortnum & Masons) etc until his business went down the pan and the taxman caught up with him. He was going to pay it off and slightly downsize BUT housing market fell to bits at the wrong moment and he’s had to sell up and massively downsize as well as equity releasing.

LMT
    Free Member

Someone will tell me ive been an idiot but we got our first home about 3 months ago, rented all the time before hand and we went for a repayment as we wanted stability, we pay £600 a month on a £125k mortgage over 25 years, the interest is crazy in my eyes, its about £55k in interest. But its cheaper than our rent was and we have a 3 bed house and a garden compared to a flat and we finish paying just before we plan to retire so it suits us. I thought it was being sensible and gives us the ability to plan the rest of our lives.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ours is and always has been repayment. Luckily out bank wouldn’t let us take more than 3x salary so we made do. We’ve been over paying as on 0.5% over Bank of England base rate tracker.

I have a friend however that had 248k on a 250k house on a self certification, interest only mortgage 8 years ago and still in the same position now. God knows how he sleeps at night.

footflaps

Are you still able to get large interest only mortgages without proof of how you can pay off the capital? I thought the BoE had clamped down on that.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Footflaps – not really. You can get interest only BUT max loan to value in the region of 50%, minimum equity of 150k, lending limited to max 25 years or 65th birthday minimum income of 50k single name or 75k joint

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

And a repayment vehicle / plan BUT selling the home can be accepted

stumpy01

Repayment here….no way I could handle having that lump sum hanging over me. I know you are supposed to invest/save in the mean time to pay it off, but I would be worried about having enough to pay it off.

I don’t understand most of what Stoner wrote…. 😆

anagallis_arvensis

don’t understand most of what Stoner wrote..

Me too, I reckon it means he’s minted and only has a tiny mortgage

rone

Me too, I reckon it means he’s minted and only has a tiny mortgage

In simple terms; (my) mortgage is 1.50% . My savings are at 3%. So no point in paying the debt down with savings if the investment is returning more. His is more complex.

Drac

Stoner is very quiet (polite) about the fact he is comfortable financially, he has mentioned it before, which is the nice way to do it. It means he is in a very different position to Joe Average though but good for him.

I’m repayment very fortunate that I bought a house when prices in this area were extremely low, I have a lot of equity so going to look at extending the house by borrowing more but still saving each month.

Might as well get something out of Brexit.

Stoner
    Free Member

With the ease of access to ISAs that exists there’s no reason any home owner can’t be more efficient about their mortgage / investment arrangements. Its not a matter of wealth, it’s mainly financial literacy.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’m on a repayment. 3 year and 3 months to go, not that I’m counting. It’s a massive amount monthly as I had to put money into my business in last recession to keep going….. It’s a heavy repay but in just over 3 years I’m debt free and mortgage free. Can’t wait. Oh yes… Age 53

Drac

With the ease of access to ISAs that exists there’s no reason any home owner can’t be more efficient about their mortgage / investment arrangements. Its not a matter of wealth, it’s mainly financial literacy.

Not everyone can afford investments or ISAs.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

What stoner has done

windyg
    Free Member

We are on repayment, we bought when the house prices were low, fixed rate ended just as the base rates dropped, we have been overpaying for a good few years now.
    If the rates stay as they are my mortgage will be paid off around 6 years early and before i’m 55.
    We have always timed house moves just right and stuck some of the profits into ISA’s and partly lived off of those.

br
    Free Member

I go for the low risk approach to our home. We own it, not someone else.

But I can see why folk would have interest only for a few years, if needed.

mudshark
    Free Member

With rates so low in my opinion it’s a good time to pay down capital.

Nah it’s a good time to use the cheap money to invest – long-term…. Done me well but I’m borrowing at 0.49% above BR.

djc1245
    Free Member

52 and paid my mortgage off. It’s a lovely feeling

djglover
    Free Member

As per Stoner, had interest only mortgage and held other investments, including shares, ISAs & cash offset that could have paid it off. Then we decided to move and do a renovation. If I had always been a slave to the capital repayment this would have been much harder to achieve. I have taken out 0% credit cards to put in ISAs before. The banking system can be gained from.. if you can be arsed

agent007
    Free Member

Think the key either way is not over stretching yourself with the purchase price in the first place (yes easier said than done with today’s prices). We were offered a loan of nearly £400k but rather than max this out as many friends seem to have done we decided to look for property below the stamp duty threshold (the old £250k threshold). Observing the local market for over a year whilst renting we knew the place we bought was good value before getting another £10k off the asking price on negotiation. That £10k saved payed for a new kitchen, flooring, decorating and furniture throughout.

Reypayment mortgage over 15 years means total interest payed, despite us fixing for 5 years at the wrong time (interest rates were supposed to go up) is not that much. Overpaying every year too so hoping to have it all cleared in 10 years.

5lab

interest only can actually be a really good idea. Lets say the interest rate you pay is 3% and you have £1000/month to pay on a mortgage.

If you have a standard 25 year repayment mortgage, that’ll get you £210,000 loan, so a £250,000 property with a £40k deposit

With the same figures, an interest only loan would get you £400k, so £440k with a deposit.

If house price inflation over the 25 years is 3% (not an unreasonable figure), house 1 is worth around £525k. House 2 is worth £925k. At this point, you could sell house 1, buy house 2 instead, pay off the loan with the remaining money (£400k).

So, if you do house 1 or house 2, the net impact after 25 years is the same, however, if you bought house 2, for those 25 years you’ve been living in a nice, big 4 bed detached house for the duration, not a small 2 bed terrace (looking at examples near here).

now obviously this is a gamble, if house price inflation doesn’t get to 3% a year, you’ll end up short on cash (although, if it was higher than 3% a year, you’d end up with a wedge of cash, tax free). but its a gamble some people would be very willing to take considering the up side (note: this isn’t the direction I’ve taken, but I wouldn’t consider someone who does take it ‘stupid’)

FuzzyWuzzy

I originally bought my place with an interest only + endowment, the endowment should have been worth £40k on maturity but is looking more like high 20’s. I added a second mortgage just over 10 years ago as a repayment. Fortunately I still have a fair bit of equity in the house and am now looking at remortgaging to one repayment mortgage and then will use whatever I get from the endowment when it matures to pay down some of the balance.

I didn’t go through the whole miss-selling thing though as it didn’t become apparent how much of a shortfall I’d have until after the complaint period had passed and I’d also been warned it was riskier (it was a bit cheaper at the time which mattered most to me back then…). Mind you had the adviser warned that there was a realistic chance it could end up being £10-20k less than it should be I’m sure I’d have gone with a repayment…

jimdubleyou

I’ve always been repayment, I don’t have the patience to manage the investments needed to pay it off. I’m wary of endowments for obvious reasons (a 25% shortfall like fuzzy above would be ruinous).

It’s my intention to have it paid off 10 years early through overpayments – though I’m tempted to get some more cheap cash and build that loft conversion now Brexit is here…

Flaperon

Fixed last month at 2.39% for five years, repayment and mortgage will be paid off by end of the term.

dave661350

The banking system can be gained from.. if you can be arsed

And IF you have a pretty numeric way of looking at things. An artist mate of mine is brilliant at what he does but away with the fairies when it comes to finance, does he listen to a mate ? A financial advisor who has his or her own interests at heart ? Its sometimes not as easy as saying that folk are just lazy

mudshark
    Free Member

I created a spreadsheet for helping people to understand how mortgages work. If interest only you can take the monthly capital amount and invest that or if you have a flexible enough mortgage over pay by that amount and treat it as a repayment mortgage.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cLH5NU8s4ghbiB7wlc_a1obAcjXdY59TZuW5jhStqjc/edit?usp=sharing

the-muffin-man

I’m currently on a 50/50 mortgage.

We’ve just come to a stage where we are able to overpay on the interest only part of the mortgage but I’m sure sure which way to go.

We can either…
    • Overpay to get it all cleared within 10 years.
    • Re-mortgage and get it all on repayment over 10 years.
    • Or put the overpayment money into ISAs and other savings.

We are currently on a tracker at 1.25% above base rate for the life of the mortgage.

footflaps

Stoner is very quiet (polite) about the fact he is comfortable financially, he has mentioned it before, which is the nice way to do it. It means he is in a very different position to Joe Average though but good for him.

What Drac is trying to say is that Stoner owns most of Worcestershire as well as a Château and vineyard in France and a Caribbean Island etc….

poly
    Free Member

I know someone who is in their forties, both only children, both only one surviving parent and their repayment “vehicle” for latest house is to inherit. Sounds odd at first, but why be cash poor for 25 yrs in the prime of your life and inherit and become cash rich as you are about to return.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Mortgages – who's on a repayment and who's on an interest only mortgage?’ is closed to new replies.