Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Morocco
  • Nainosliw
    Free Member

Anyone ridden there? I'm thinking of a guided holiday something like the "Trans Atlas" or similar.

Thing is I've heard
    a) it's not that much singletrack
    b) the ST there is is very technical and
    c) the distances are big – by which I mean a day's riding can be +/- 70 miles which if on genuine techy ST will be a long way day after day.

Anyone able to speak from experience?

And Merry Xmas one an all 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

depending on the grading the distances are big, the riding is not very technical but have gone back three times and would go back at a moments notice. Loved the whole experience of wilderness, culture and sense of adventure. I know of a very good guide the called charlie – look up epic morocco and drop him a line to get a customised trip for a lot less than exodus or the hideous KE Adventure.

rickmeister

Ian, we have been on bike trips there for the last 4 years and loved it. I had an article in Singletrack (kindness of strangers) about one day there. 2 trips with KE Adventure, 2 with Exodus. Best was KE atlas traverse. A fantastic mix of bike and culture.

Our gide made the trip, Jose, who I met at Ciclo Montana. Living and working in Marakech. PM me for more info…

Anthonyl84
    Free Member

Was there in November with Freeride Spain, we were in the High Atlas around Mount Touchal and that region.

Well – we rode a LOT of singletrack and it was pretty technical on the whole, there was a good mix of really fast tight stuff and also the very naughty bits. When it got tricky it was very tricky indeed.

What I'd say is that it probably doesn't have an 'average technical' level as high as say Spain – but the riding in Morocco has waaaaay more consequence. Nothing like riding tyre width singletrack with a near vertical 500-1000 foot drop to sharpen the mind.

I can see how if you didn't go looking or have someone who knows about it you wouldn't find much Singletrack, but we had some local knowledge and we went looking and there was a shedload of it.

Morocco = Bloody Awesome.

Can't wait to go back.

spoon
    Free Member

My Uncle runs some tours.. if your interested …TonyG Maroc

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Gosh – thanks for so many responses. Here's a bit of background that might narrow down the options –

1) Reasonably fit – commute approx 30 miles a day in UK
    2) Ridden in French Alps (but XC mostly, not Les Gets DH stuff) and the Sierra Nevada.
    3) Not a mountaineer – too much fresh air presented vertically causes me to pucker. (One ride that I DIDN'T do in Fr required you to hike-a-bike along a Via Ferrata!)
    4) Ride regularly in UK, mostly natural ST although trail centres (7 Stanes mostly) when the weather is too poor.
    5) In my 50's (so no spring chicken then)
    6) Ride a hardtail and been MTB'ing for about 5 years (bike riding all my life)

Will follow up various options as suggested and any further recommendations, comments, advice, contacts gratefully received.

mwleeds

This Oct/Nov I went to Morocco with Flowmtb. We all had a fantastic week. It's basically a lift assisted xc week. There is a bit of climbing but it's really all about the singletrack downs and the moroccan culture. As has already been mentioned if you know where to look (and have some experienced drivers) there's lots of ace sometimes very flowy, sometimes technical trails, a lot of which are often very loose, rocky or off-camber and occasionally with a little bit of exposure. A lot of the riding is on mule tracks, which as you can imagine aren't in anyway similar to the footpaths or bridleways we have in the UK. For this reason there are sections that everyone walks regardless of how skilled you are. This combined with the fact that you're always riding within your abilities, helps a long way away!, means that the trails are fun for a surprisingly wide range of skill levels.

Strangely the riding was perhaps the most "xc" I've ever done despite being some of the hardest stuff I've ridden and with very little up. I guess in the UK and when I've been in the alps, it least for me, it's all about getting to the bottom of the hill as fast as possible, and I guess taking risks. Morocco is more about going with the flow, enjoying yourself and occasionally trying to ride down some silly stuff, whilst getting heckled by small children walking to school!.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

me and the missus went to agadia this year in sept and i got 2 days of fun in the mountains and have to say it was great dry dusty trails that come to hair pin turns with big drops iv'e never been so scared and thrilled in all my life on a bike it rocked 8)

just go for it and have fun get loads of pics and load them up so we can all see the cool terrain

beej

I did the Atlas to Desert trip with Skedaddle – and the aforementioned Charlie was our guide (well, main guide – two others, plus two drivers and a cook!). Brilliant trip, can't recommend it enough. Not super technical for the most part but load of great culture, food, scenery and jaw-droppingly good places to stay – from mud houses, tents, and outside in the desert to oppulent kasbahs with swimming pools and bath houses.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I've been talking to a friend recently about this very thing!

He's been a number of times now, and has said that his favourite way of doing it is with a cheap flight, bike and tent, and a map; which is my favourite way of seeing somewhere new.

So, next November, it's up up and away!

Going slightly off course, http://www.horizonsunlimited.com is a really good site for whetting your adventurous whistle 😉

mwleeds

He's been a number of times now, and has said that his favourite way of doing it is with a cheap flight, bike and tent, and a map; which is my favourite way of seeing somewhere new.

Hmmm, maybe if you have a lot of time to explore. Otherwise you'll definitely need a guide. Imagine trying to navigate across the BW's of the peak district with an AA road atlas!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Morocco’ is closed to new replies.