Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • morning Australia – bike rack question
  • antigee

Sorting stuff to pack for move to Melbourne

Towbar mounted Thule bike rack

? legal in Australia
    ? will it mount ok – i know US ball size is different to Europe
    (provokes question about how big are balls in Aus’)
    ? Will electrics work – not sure if towbar electrics are Europe only

thanks

antigee

Bump for today STW won’t fail me I’m sure

2hottie
    Free Member

Have you looked on the Thule, website to see if they have info regarding this. As for the legality I reckon it will be, IIRC I read a review of one in a local bike mag recently.

The towbar’s here appear to be the box section ones like in the US and then you can add whatever attachment you require to it. Seems a good idea.

fandango
    Free Member

IIRC there is an Aussie law limiting how far a rear rack can extended the length of the car. I believe it is a fraction of the vehicle’s wheelbase… but for the life of me I cannot remember the rule. I’m sure it only becomes a problem if you have a short car and a multi-bike carrier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Legal yes.

Lots of tow bars don’t have the ball but you can buy that.

Not sure on electrics but you can convert anything.

Give it all a good wash – get ready for a wait – excited as my stuff gets here next week 🙂

bigrich

wait until you find out how much cars cost here!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Click linky here for Thule Aus

spanners
    Free Member

Hi from Adelaide, SA.
    My towball looks the same size as the one I had on my UK car but there are 2 differing electrical plugs. There is the round type as per UK and a flat type (approx 6cmx2cm). My car has the flat one but my trailer is round – you can get adaptors for around 15 bucks.
    As per the UK, if your bike blocks the number plate then you’ll need one on the carrier. Assuming VIC is the same as SA, you can only get new plates from the Aus version of DVLA. The police are very strict about traffic laws so its worth getting a plate. There is a bike carrier specific size. I’ve never seen anyone with lights on their carrier.
    Make sure your bike and any spare tyres are spotless before they are shipped.

2hottie
    Free Member

Mike our stuff arrived this week. No bike but a couple of boxes of items that are important to us. It’s been fun opening them even tho I packed them I couldn’t remember what was in them!

Spanner, I’m based in Adelaide too, Woodville area “when” I get a MTB again we could head out for a ride if you like?

Scott.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2hottie Was it through Bournes in the UK? Our container landed 10 days ago and got cleared this week!

2hottie
    Free Member

We shipped with 7seas. It left our UK house on the 30th March and arrived in with us Wednesday which is around the time frame we were given. Nothing was damaged including my golf clubs so I’m happy. Customs however charged me $176 for the privilege of inspecting a couple of the boxes. Cheers.

Anyway it’s like Christmas when it arrives and you’ll be smiling for days!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No news from customs yet…..

Looking forward to seeing the bike stand and some pans

antigee

thanks some useful stuff to check out, not impossible and some issues

working cleaning bikes as well as packing other stuff,,,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From some previous threads on shipping etc. I air freighted the bikes (about £150 per bike box up to 32kg) here within 10 days. Quicker to the mainland I reckon.

Stick new tyres on took so long to try and clean mine I gave up

Air freight boxes were unopened by customs.

NZCol

Top tip: wait until its realy wet and go for a ride on the tarseal then scrub tyres clean.

Kuco

My Thule rack is adjustable to fit various size balls i’d imagine yours probably is.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘morning Australia – bike rack question’ is closed to new replies.