Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Morning after drink driving.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Over the last few days I’ve seen more police out on the roads than for a very long time!
    They are clearly doing as they said, and are looking to get folk the morning after.

SaxonRider

It makes one of those personal breathalyzers look quite appealing.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A copper I know told me about a driver he did. The drunk was sufficiently erratic in his driving that several others phoned in to report him. The copper found him parked in the middle of a roundabout. It does happen.

johndoh
    Free Member

A copper I know told me about a driver he did. The drunk was sufficiently erratic in his driving that several others phoned in to report him. The copper found him parked in the middle of a roundabout. It does happen.

Surely that isn’t ‘morning after’ drunk? That’s ‘drinking in the morning’ drunk?

jekkyl

yup there seems to be some sort of crack down on this I concur. There’s been a few out on the roads stopping random folks in the morning, my father in law got breathalysed.

peterfile
    Free Member
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah it was on the back of the earlier post that was a big wake up call. We’ve had a heavy weekend on the beer with gig Friday night, family do sat avo/night then wife’s works do Sunday night! Stopped drinking at 11 pm on the Friday didn’t move the car till after noon Saturday. Then Sunday it didn’t move till 2pm then it never moved at all yesterday! Got taxis and a lift home.
    Just not worth it!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Another good reason to ride to work.

This morning, I rode past half a dozen cops who were standing along an A road brandishing breathalyzers. Cars were being randomly beckoned into a couple of side roads. Squeaky bum for some I think.

spacemonkey

Another good reason to ride to work.

This morning, I rode past half a dozen cops who were standing along an A road brandishing breathalyzers. Cars were being randomly beckoned into a couple of side roads. Squeaky bum for some I think.

Can the old bill not pull cyclists over too?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Probably, but you’d not more lose your driving license for that than you would being a drunk pedestrian.

peterfile
    Free Member

Pretty sure you can’t be made to give a sample though.

nixie

Probably yes, but why would they when car drivers are an easier target.

nixie

Pretty sure you can’t be made to give a sample though.

You can’t be made to give a sample as a car driver, you just get the same/very similar punishment to what you get for failing a test.

nealglover
    Free Member

Probably, but you’d not more lose your driving license for that than you would being a drunk pedestrian.

Not true at all.

While it’s probably unlikely to be used, there is legislation in place that could be used to enforce a driving ban for being drunk when cycling.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Do you have a link for that?

Edit. The only link that I can find is from the Powers of Criminal Courts act but from what I can read that says that if you commit ANY crime, no matter what it is, the court can take your drivers license away.

Drac

http://www.drinkdrivinglaw.co.uk/offences/failing_to_provide_a_specimen_for_analysis.htm#What_is_my_legal_obligation

Not heard of a law having your driving licence effected when riding a bike.

peterfile
    Free Member

While it’s probably unlikely to be used, there is legislation in place that could be used to enforce a driving ban for being drunk when cycling.

Don’t think that’s correct. There’s certainly an offence of being “unfit” to ride due to drink, but that’s punishable by a fine.

zokes
    Free Member

In Australia yes.

In the UK, not unless the law has changed recently.

EDIT: clearly I stand corrected 😳

peterfile
    Free Member

Any court ever applied that provision to a cyclist or referred to its use in relation to cyclists? What did the judge say about its application? i suspect it would be in relation to something far more serious than being drunk.

CPS guidance suggests that it would be pretty hard for a cyclist to trigger! I wouldn’t think that simply being unfit to ride would result in disqualification.

CPS guidance

gonefishin
    Free Member

According to neal’s link, yes. Although that bloke was convicted of furious cycling and was riding on a pavement, knocked over and killed a pedestrian.

Drac

Now Neal has posted that I remember reading it before quite possibly it was Neal who posted it.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We got stopped a week ago, at 8.45am Sunday. My other half had had the last of 5 pints at around midnight, and the breathalyzer reading was zero. Phew!!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I was in the pub recently and some sanctimonious nause heard me refer to my bike as a ‘pub bike’. At which point he started crowing on about losing your licence for being drunk in charge, or something. Please tell me he’s not right.

nbt

given the amount of drivers still legally on the roads with 12 or more points thenks to magistrates and other judicial powers, I’d be flabbergasted if someone lost their licence for a cycling offence

binners

A couple of years ago, after an enjoyable evening touring the single malts in the Britons with WCA, I was so ‘refreshed’ that I actually rode into a parked cop car. While on the pavement. Oops!

He wasn’t that bothered about my ‘tired and emotional’ state, picked me up, poured me back onto my bike and sent me merrily teetering on my way. I suspect if I had been in charge of a couple of tons of metal, his attitude may have been slightly different. And that’s the rub. If you want to kill yourself with your own irresponsible silliness, then that’s your look out……

onehundredthidiot

I got stopped as a student, it was 3am, dark no lights and I was on the pavement, once they’d ascertained the bike was mine. They let my tyres down and sent me on my way.

Not sure it affected my cycling at all.

seavers
    Free Member

I got stopped as a student, it was 3am, dark no lights and I was on the pavement, once they’d ascertained the bike was mine. They let my tyres down and sent me on my way.

Buggers! I got caught as a student. No lights on a pavement. They slowed down in the car asked if I was a student to which I replied yes and they were on their way. Edit….I hadn’t been drinking though!

My dad was rear ended by a ‘morning after the night before guy’. he was stationary at a pedestrian crossing on the way to work and was hit from behind at 50mph. He was driving a Volvo at the time, not only did the crash mash the rear end but it bent the thing in an upwards V shape. He wasn’t badly injured thankfully and the person had crossed the road so they were OK but I still remember seeing the Volvo and being pretty shocked.

benji
    Free Member

Surely if in doubt don’t drive.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

So if two guys are pulled over for drink cycling, one has a licence and the other does not, we now know that the first guys licence can be affected but what happens to the bloke without a licence?

You don’t need a drinking licence to cycle on the roads do you.

edit: serious question, not a rhetorical. Bit unfair for one guy to get points/a ban and the other to get a fine just because he hasn’t coughed up to do lessons and a test.

nealglover
    Free Member

So if two guys are pulled over for drink cycling, one has a licence and the other does not, we now know that the first guys licence can be affected but what happens to the bloke without a licence?

A driving ban is effectively a restriction on “Holding or Obtaining” a license to drive.

So the ban would be the same in theory.

It would just mean more to one than the other.

thegreatape
    Free Member

And, as you pointed out from the start, unlikely to ever be used for someone convicted of cycling pissed. (So unlikely that it can almost be ignored!)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Surely that isn’t ‘morning after’ drunk? That’s ‘drinking in the morning’ drunk?

I’m no expert. I did drink solidly one weekend, to be still pished on the Monday, just the once. More likely it was someone with a serious habit, and we’re all of us a little safer now.

toby1

Binners, good work sir!

eskay

My dad was rear ended by a ‘morning after the night before guy’.

😯

hora
    Free Member

Binners you southern Manchester shandy-drinker

aP
    Free Member

An organisation that I do some consultancy work for, which has fairly a strong D&D policy, states 7 units in the previous 24 hours, with the last unit consumed at least 8 hours before entering their property.

poly
    Free Member

I assume those citing s146(1) of the Powers of Criminal Courts Act didn’t read as far s146(3) ? I don’t believe the SoS has authorised such use of section 1.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t believe the SoS has authorised such use of section 1.

Why don’t you believe it ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Home Office circular 059 / 2003 says it has

*waits for a more recent circular rescinding that one*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Morning after drink driving.’ is closed to new replies.