Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • More tubeless thoughts & a bit of ramble…
  • PrinceJohn

So new bike, 3 rides with tubeless so far, got my first tubeless puncture today – clipped a rock at high speed, put a hole in the tyre that was too big to seal… so spend 25mins faffing to get the tyre off, get the valve out, dealing with wheel spunk. Get a tube pump it up, off I go, less that 1 min later hear a horrible scraping noise, think to myself that sounds expensive – wtf have I done?! Stop, back tyre is flat again as I’m taking the wheel off the bike to repair the puncture I spot the cause of the 2nd puncture….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ant the thing is the first one would have taken a tube out and the second would probably have held tubeless. Depending on the rubber some a really easy to fit and remove.

PrinceJohn

Where I got the first is a section where I have had more punctures than I can remember…all snakebites…

br
    Free Member

When you got the first hole, you should’ve put one of these in and just pumped it back up.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/weldtite-tubeless-tyre-outside-repair-kit-/250/811

And you can leave the ‘worm’ in for the life of the tyre.

andycs

+1 for the weldtite kit. Easy to use permanent repair.

timwillows
    Free Member

Pulled 8 thorns out of my tubeless tyre this morning, all had penetrated to the air chamber – all sealed themselves with a quick spin of the wheel. None gave any issue on the trail – I like tubeless

eddiebaby
    Free Member

+1 for the Weldrite kit

PrinceJohn

I was going to ask if there were any tubeless repair kits out there…

chrispo
    Free Member

FWIW my experience of the weldtite kit is that
    (1) it’s near-impossible to use (threading that sticky strip through the eye of the needle is hard enough with tools in the workshop, I wouldn’t want to try it up a mountain in the rain)
    (2) it only works if the hole isn’t very big
    (3) if you are a tight bugger like me and only use half a strip they do eventually work their way out

eulach

I thought you were supposed to put glitter in with the latex to deal with big holes?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 weldrite – never seen one nail, let alone 2 in my tyres! Where you riding, local tip?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

FWIW – my experience of the Weldtite kit:

1) I always cut the strips in half as I’m tight like that – and I have never, ever, yet had a failure. Some of the tyres that have repairs in them are several years old now.
    2) Threading the needle thingy is a piece of cake, even in cold weather.
    3) they will seal holes maybe 2-3mm across – but when they get that big you do need to let the glue go off really well before re-inflating the tyre.
    4) If you’re a tight bugger you can buy the sticky strips in bulk off Ebay – marked up as wheelbarrow puncture repair kits. We split a purchase among several people.

PrinceJohn

never seen one nail, let alone 2 in my tyres! Where you riding, local tip?

It was only one nail, the second pic is just to show how long the nail is…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

ah i see, my bad sorry. Bloody big nail

creamegg
    Free Member

Used the weldite repair kit once, found it very easy and effective

andycs

Never tried to thread one into the tool, just use tool to stuff it in the hole!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you push it through with the tool then pull it back through the same hole making 4 bits of it sticking out. Its easy then to unhook the tool. Cut and your finished.

PrinceJohn

I’m going to try & hunt down some repair strips tomorrow…

PrinceJohn

Well the repair strips seem to have worked… unfortunately the first puncture that was a pinch against a rock has caused me some problems – where it pinched against the bead it left a small hole which I’m having massive problems sealing.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to get this work & if I can get it to work I’m hoping that this will be hunky dory & everything will be peachy from now on in..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘More tubeless thoughts & a bit of ramble…’ is closed to new replies.