• This topic has 33 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by unfit.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • More transit custom woes!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s back in the garage. I’m presuming it’s now the other 3 injectors. It was shuddering and juddering like a 30 year old damp petrol engine on a frosty morning yesterday. Talk about a “friday afternoon” motor, 5th time it’s been for warranty in 18 months. Fuel economy down to 26mpg and I genuinely hadnt realised how sluggish it had also become till I jumped in the 40 brake less courtesy van and it shot out of the junction like a scolded cat in comparison. Really hope they get it sorted this time….

boombang
    Free Member

How have you found the dealer and (if contacted) Ford’s customer care?

We have a 9 month old 3k mile Fiesta that has been in twice for rattles from inside the dash (more than one and not the sort you can just turn up the radio and ignore) and is due back in again for the same in new year, the gearstick is sticky (clue is in the name?) which will be done then too, and today it appears the steering rack is failing (Ford Assistance have put in writing we should not drive it) which can’t be looked at until Monday 23rd.

The dealer has been ok and hopefully can fix it all but Ford customer care don’t appear to care (clue is not in the name?) and basically keep referring us to the dealer. The dealer suggested Ford Assistance should be providing a courtesy car and to speak to customer care, then start again.

Worst bit is you can’t seem to complain to anyone about the issues with the car, whether to speed up resolution or in our case see if can get a deal on a replacement, Ford customer care can only log that they have spoken to you and speak to the dealer.

Wonder if this is just me, if I am speaking to the wrong people, or if it just how it is.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Never dealt with customer care. I’ve always gone straight to the dealer I purchased it off. Service manager is a nice bloke, helpful and apologetic in the right measures and is also a mountain biker so that might help.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Needed something out of my van today so nipped to the garage to fetch it. It’s not **** moved from where I left it. Not a happy bunny!

Tracey

We dropped ours off for a service this morning at 7.45 at the local dealer. There wasn’t a parking space available due to them been full of vans waiting for the parts, some look like they have been there a while. Never seen as many stressed up staff, think they are taking all the grief from irate tradesmen. Not a lot the garages can do with the size of the problem.
    Im told ours is OK, not part of the bad batch, however will need to wait and see. Might just be fobbing us off.

wrightyson
    Free Member

@Tracey

It’s a **** joke, ford have known about this problem for ages. I questioned a couple of months ago when they only changed just one injector on my van. At the time the service manager said his hands were tied because if the diagnostic computer didn’t pick up any fault they couldn’t change the others. Apparently now they are checking the batch numbers on the injectors and if they are deemed to be of the bad bunch they are being changed whether currently faulty or not.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and to top it off, the courtesy van I’m using for the exact same type of journeys with the same kit in etc is returning 10 mpg more than mine was!

Tracey

Have to agree with you. Would have thought that Ford UK would have been on the ball by now. I was told that ours didn’t have any of the faulty batch numbers fitted which makes me think that they now have a good idea which vans are affected. I don’t think the garages have the extra resources to sort it out quickly. Ideally they should do a recall to put every one at ease but not sure if they have the parts in the country to do it. Let alone all the other country’s affected
    Ours is 170 auto and averaging 30 mpg which is less than we expected but garage reckons its about right.
    It also takes around 7 to 8 miles to get up to temp which they also reckon is right

transition1
    Free Member

Mines a 170 manual pre facelift 18plate went in for 1st service plus warranty work, oil dilation plus brake servo sensors or something had all updates but they didn’t change the oil so just paid for fresh oil & filter as had done 14k miles, am not waiting till 26k for 1st oil change old vivaro used to get oil down every year. No injector issues so far does drive well but if below 2k revs & floor it nothing happens 😂 but does pull like a train if change down. Old van 10 in 1st 20 2nd 30 3rd etc new van 70 in 3rd

wrightyson
    Free Member

@transition1

That is the same as mine, 18 plate dciv sport.
    18months old 14k.

So far 2 oil changes due to oil dilution, 1 injector eventually deemed to be over fuelling on crank and ignition and causing the problem so 1 injector replaced, brake booster replaced (hill start thingy sticking on), clutch judder being looked at along with injectors on this visit. Fuel economy is an on going gripe as it’s been as low as 24mpg, definitely got worse the longer I’ve had it.

transition1
    Free Member

Yeah think mine was brake booster. It’s a 170 limited with conversion to seats in back & twin sliding doors etc. Have noticed my fuel consumption go down was around 35 when got it but seems to be better at 60 in 5th than 70 in 6th but think can get obsessive with the fuel onboard more accurate to fill up & calculate. When went to Morzine was around 28mpg but avg 130-145kph on way down

jamesoz

Ford warranty has been a problem since we went to Ford in 2013. Always a big wait, seem to not look at the vehicle till the end of the day then declare a part needs to be ordered that will take a month to get hold of etc.
    For the moment we’ve been lucky with the reliability compared to VW and Vauxhall.
    The Toyota Hi aces were brilliantly reliable and dealers very good but that was a long time ago now.

Almost forgot, they wanted me to hang around at 5pm while the ford tech made a little video of what he’d done. No tradesman has time for that crap.

revs1972
    Free Member

. No tradesman has time for that crap.

Course not, the pub is waiting 😜

robbo1234biking

Not directly related to Ford’s commercial vehicles but I found their customer service to be awful. I got a brand new Mondeo as a company car back in 2010. 2 days later it broke down. The alternator had failed. This was a new type of alternator and there were no spares available in the country. I think it was off the road for about 3 weeks in the end.

Customer service just weren’t interested (I suspect because it was a lease car). My local dealer helped me out a couple of times with a car of the forecourt when I was really desperate but I could understand why he didn’t have a courtesy car for me as he wasn’t even the supplying dealership!

jonm81

Ours is 170 auto and averaging 30 mpg which is less than we expected but garage reckons its about right.
    It also takes around 7 to 8 miles to get up to temp which they also reckon is right

That seems a bit low Tracey. My Tourneo Custom 170 auto is averaging 37.9mpg across 33k miles. I agree on the 7-8 miles to warm up though.

Ours has been in 4 times for oil dilution but has been fine for the last 12k miles so hopefully that is solved now. It has also been in for a complete fuel rail replacement and the known timing belt tensioner spring failure.

Other than that it had rusting scratches down to the metal all around the windscreen where it had been replaced before purchase. I noticed on picking up the van from English Ford in Poole. They were absolutely rubbish in sorting it out (in fact sorting anything out including paid for services!) and it had to go back in several times to have the poor work redone. Ford customer care were a joke when I complained about the dealer response and quality of work and just referred it back to the dealer who couldn’t give less of a s**t.

Now it seems to be sorted it is a really nice van to drive and hopefully it will stay like that for the next ten years.

Tracey

Thanks for that, ours had some recall stuff done yesterday along with the service. We have done 12k.
    Will keep an eye on mpg and may need to go back and challenge them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still heard nothing. Left a moody message earlier about lack of info. My back is starting to get up a touch…

Tracey

I think the size of the injector problem is probably too much for the average garage. The guys working on them at our local are working flat out and the receptionists are getting flack from opening to closing.
    The easy solution for Ford would be to open the Transit centres 24/7 and staff them up accordingly at least until they have cleared the backlog, especially for those who need the vehicles for a living.
    You may need to camp on the forecourt. 😉

tthew

The easy solution for Ford would be to open the Transit centres 24/7 and staff them up accordingly at least until they have cleared the backlog,

Rustling up hundreds or even thousands, (Europe or even worldwide issue?) of competent, (i.e. Ford qualified) mechanics at short notice for a limited time to clear a backlog wouldn’t be an easy task at all. That’s assuming you can suddenly ramp up injector production to meet demand because all the ones that have been contracted will be for new vehicles, plus a contingency for spares at a normal failure rate, which this isn’t.

wooobob

I’ve got an early 17 plate Tourneo Custom, done about 18k. Had it in twice for software recalls and the garage said the oil was OK. Drives fine. I’m in Turkey although it’s a UK vehicle. Should I be worried?

May give Ford a call, although it doesn’t sound like they’ll have much advice.

Tracey

Assuming that the injector production has been ramped up and the time span that they have known the problem its a more sensible idea than the head in the sand which is still happening.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2019/ford-ecoblue-diesel-injector-failure/

Two months down the line from the official statement and they are still running around like headless chickens.
    Anyone had the official recall yet.

transition1
    Free Member

My service was done at a KAP garage didn’t even know they did ford servicing. Said they had been doing 6-10 a week with injector issues over summer. I know my fuel consumption isn’t great around 32 but runs on 20s & don’t drive like an old woman…..

jonm81

I’m in Turkey although it’s a UK vehicle. Should I be worried?

The dealer told me all the UK tourneos and transits are made in Turkey anyway so your at the same risk as everyone else unfortunately.

Tracey

Got home today and I’ve got a £40 voucher arrived in the post valid for 12 months of my next service. Hope its not a bad omen. 🤔

wrightyson
    Free Member

I never recieved the call today that I was promised. Unfortunately for them I’m very quiet at the moment so may pay them a visit. If my van is still parked in the same spot and as I left it then there might be a bit of fuss at the service desk.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Finally managed to speak to ford. All four injectors now changed.
    I should be happy yes , but I’m not, pissed me off as it’s been in so many times for this problem and Im almost certain its cost us in extra diesel consumption. Anybody know if I would have any grounds in pursuing them in that matter? Its been recorded on paper about my mpg concerns and I have video of the engine playing up most recently and it shows the mpg down at 26.
    I feel a bit sorry for the dealers as it would appear ford just wouldn’t fess up to the fact the injectors are failing in so many vehicles.

mashr

but I’m not, pissed me off as it’s been in so many times for this problem and Im almost certain its cost us in extra diesel consumption. Anybody know if I would have any grounds in pursuing them in that matter?

Consequential damages aren’t covered i’m afraid

wrightyson
    Free Member

@Tracey, I’ve also had that letter today , got sent a copy as it had been sent to the office.
    40 quid off next service also. Something smells dodgy!

tagnut69
    Free Member

What have trading standards got to say about the matter

tthew

What have trading standards got to say about the matter

IIRC, trading standards would take action against the local garage if their service was seriously lacking, which it doesn’t seem like is the case from Wrightyson’s description. If you wanted after Ford, then it would probably be some kind of class action like the VAG Dieselgate thing, but what are you suing for? A few quid’s worth of increased Diesel use doesn’t seem like the kind of issue any lawyer would get excited about and then if you don’t return the £40 service voucher you’ve probably vicariously accepted compensation. Yeah I’d be pissed off with all the messing about too, but the vans have been repaired eventually, I think that’s satisfied the consumer act, or whatever it’s called these days.

frankconway

Not quite in the same league as Whirlpool washing machines and tumble driers – is it?
    Unless there’s a provable legal issue – and a lawyer to take it on as a class action – accept the voucher and call it a day.
    You want to push it? Might as well go outside to shout at the moon – similarly pointless.

PePPeR

My 67 plate 130 auto has been brilliant over 60,000 miles apart from the steering wheel wobbling up and down and dropping down over a week or so, I have it extended out.

I average 35mpg and I’m fully loaded at 2.9t.

Tracey

I would just put it behind me. You eventually have four new injectors.
    You can’t really blame the garage for a problem that Ford have created. They are trying their best to appease customers as best they can.
    By the time comes round for our next service we would have probably forgot about the voucher.
    We just have to take their word for it that ours don’t have any injectors from the faulty batch. Not sure how to check otherwise.

unfit
    Free Member

My Transit custom has less than 7500 miles on the clock. It’s had the ECU reprogrammed 3 times/ oil changed twice/ parking sensors corrected/ Bad water leak in between back doors/ very annoying rattling in dash/ injectors changed 4 times. All four injectors each time/ side door rail removed because of rubbing on the body work/ paintwork corrected to side. Last time the local ford garage told me I had to take the transit to another ford garage. This was due to them having over 40 transit customs waiting for warranty work. Ford Transit the Back Bone of Britain😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘More transit custom woes!’ is closed to new replies.