Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • More than 1 child………….selfish??
  • GrahamS

Lets all save the planet. And slowly wipe out the human race in the process.

Was humankind near to extinction 50 years ago when we only had a third of our current world population?

sofatester
    Free Member

Lets all save the planet. And slowly wipe out the human race in the process. So why did we save the planet?

🙄

I think you should replace "slowly wipe out" with, "reduce to a manageable and sustainable number".

Why do people get so defensive about such an obvious solution? (Not aimed at your MF just a general statement).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lets all save the planet. And slowly wipe out the human race in the process. So why did we save the planet?

Only by not "saving the planet" as you put it we're slowly wiping out the human race by depleting available resources? Planet will live on, we need to reduce our damage to it in order for US to survive, not it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But if there is a control on procreation there will eventually be a steady decline…

For example (say there was a 1 child limit) and only 70% of the adult population actually want children. Of that 70%, a further 20% cannot conceive (current stats say 1 in 8 couples struggle). By the second generation of such a rule, of the remaining 50% another 70% don't want children and another 20% struggle.

Now I am not too hot at the math, but it won't take long before there is a critical mass of decline.

ahwiles
    Free Member

6ish billion (and growing) isn't sustainable as a worldwide population.

60ish million (and growing) isn't sustainable as a uk population.

a reduction is inevitable, this growth cannot continue forever, we can choose to control this ourselves, or wait for natural pressures to do it for us (famine/ war/ disease).

this guy is very wise:

Dr Bartlett knows the score

GrahamS

But if there is a control on procreation there will eventually be a steady decline…

A steady decline of population for a few generations would actually be a GOOD thing – even at the extreme levels you are talking about.

convert

Big picture – aside from the environment sustainability isssues, who would not like the whole of Britan to have the population density of Scotland across the whole of the UK (Scotland less than a sixth the density of England and a quarter of the UK as a whole)? I can imagine it would be a far more pleasant place to live for all of us (that were left!).

organic355
    Free Member

Only read the 1st and last pages of this thread, but my neighbor is on her 5th kid (devout catholics). I wouldn't normally have a problem, but they are making noises about extending above their garage to make another bedroom. This is going to completely block my view of the water and rolling hills. I may have to object to their planning permission, if that will even make any difference. ❓

organic355
    Free Member

Scotland less than a sixth the density of England and a quarter of the UK as a whole

thats down to the better education system 😯

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This is going to completely block my view of the water and rolling hills. I may have to object to their planning permission, if that will even make any difference.

Unfortunately you have no right to a view (I say unfortunately but in our case we blocked our neighbour's view towards Stainburn Edge and the edge of the Yorkshire Dales when we built our extension) 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

Unfortunately you have no right to a view (I say unfortunately but in our case we blocked our neighbour's view towards Stainburn Edge and the edge of the Yorkshire Dales when we built our extension)

😆 … 🙄

ton

just been reading about the bloke in the paper……….

i think i agree with him now, and cos i have two kids, i think i am now a selfish sad f*uck………. 😉

and i am on the lookout for a brompton.

sofatester
    Free Member

Welcome back the melee Ton!

ahwiles
    Free Member

or, as FKN news puts it:

"the planet is fine, WE 're fncked, it's our fault, and it's getting worse. have a nice day"

Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘More than 1 child………….selfish??’ is closed to new replies.