• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • More steelness
  • juan
    Free Member

Ok is there steel option in between scaffolding tubed on-one and overpriced cotics?

It is realistic to get a "nice" steel frame for around 200-250£ mark. Most of people on here seems to think that unless you buy a cotic/chromag/indy fab there is not much else to buy.
    I now stw is nichastic land and no one is on minimal wedge here. But what for normal people? Or for what matters people that actually still want to be able to fill the fridge after buying a bike 😀

(From the top of my head I can think of Genesis, siruis, alpine but IIRC they are rather pricey bike)

P.S. Frame as to come in 16"

druidh
    Free Member

Blue Pig?

househusband

Maybe, just maybe you have indeed come to the conclusion that you either pay what you deem reasonable for a 'scaffolding tubed' frame – or what you consider too much an 'overpriced cotic'..? Unless you go down the second hand route.

theboatman
    Free Member

Sanderson breath would be my choice, or merlin 853, or a little more a dialled pa.

http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/article_Sanderson%2BBreath%2BFrame.001/Sanderson-Breath-Frame.html

dobo
    Free Member

Orange R8 or this Kinesis_Decade_Virsa_Prestige_MTB_Frame

kinesis

willej

Another vote for the Sanderson Breath here.

Mine's a 16". Feels like my old Explosif, only slightly heavier but more fun.

juan
    Free Member

Thanks I shall dig eat and start eating more potatoes. When I say 16" I mean real 16" for shortish people. Will that be the case for the sanderson and the blue pig?

MrSmith
    Free Member

725 prince albert

julianwilson
    Free Member

3rd for sanderson. Can be found for about £250 and they are ace. Nice welds and dropouts if you like that sort of thing, and not too heavy. I think their small is 16" and 21"-ish top tube.

…didn't you have a perfectly good Cove for that sort of thing Juan? …..just get another on second hand?

juan
    Free Member

Julian Bike won't be for me 😉 I am planning her next bike (I know stupid she just got her first ht a bout 15 days ago).

And I thought that a softer ride might just please her even more 😉

Candodavid
    Free Member

pipedream sirius???

takisawa2

IMO Having ridden both I'm afraid the +£300 for a Cotic is best spent elsewhere.

[runs & ducks for cover]

😉

willej

The 16" Breath has a 23" top tube. I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg. The 16" is perfect for me. Picked mine up new for £225.
    More details HERE.

Chisel
    Free Member

If your looking for an alternative to the standard steel choices i'd recommened a Genesis Alpitude mine has been absolutely stunning it's a bit weighty as a race bike but for everything else it has been stunning. It'll take the ride to bouncy bikes on the downs and just loves playing in the woods. Its good as an all day bike in polaces such as the Peaks and the Alps climbs up techy climbs soooo well but really is jsu so much fun on the downs. I run mine with Push'd Pikes and a Gravity dropper post and it is a hoot!!!

Northwind

Not Enough Time: "Orange R8"

Yep, that's the solution if a Soul's too expensive, something even more expensive :mrgreen:

I'd be looking at Genesis or Dialled I guess, though I wouldn't buy either, I'd buy another Soul- to me it's 100% worth the extra money though, it's light and it rides better than anything similiar that I've tried, and is superbly finished to boot, but ymmv.

The other option is a Scandal, which isn't steel at all but rides a bit like it is, and is very very good indeed if you want a short travel fork. Not very good if you don't. But often overlooked, I have absolutely no idea why anyone would buy an Inbred since they started making these tbh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And I thought that a softer ride might just please her even more

And I thought the French were zee best luvvers, non?

😉

Blower
    Free Member

You said it mr smith!
    Dialled prince albert.

i'd say the blue pig ride's better than a Soul imo..

juan
    Free Member

Well looks like I may need the info on this thread earlier than I though 🙁
    Which one of the list is close to an HJ in terms of ride (feeling and geometry?)

Cheers

Kit
    Free Member

A Handjob? I picked mine up 'nearly new' for £250ish with seatpost and headset. All mint.

juan
    Free Member

Kit thanks mine is craking I'll see if I can get it fixed otherwise it's going to be :'(

jim_1980
    Free Member

ill second Candodavid's Pipedream Sirius?? got one myself and its a great ride.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I doubt you'll find a 16" but I got a 15" Rocky Mountain Blizzard for Mrs Fascist a couple of weeks ago for half price (OK, still about 350 quid). Merlin and Wiggle have restricted sizes

Alternatives;
    around 300 iirc;
    Dialled
    Singular
    Pipe Dream Sirius
    Rock lobster 853

or the joker in the pack;
    Handsome Dog Talisman at 60 quid 😯

of the above I could only recommend the RM or the Dialled, I've not ridden the rest but they're all quality steel bikes (and mostly light) for less than Cotic money (although the fact that Cy constantly seems to be selling out might tell you something)

Hammo
    Free Member

I'm with MrSmith on this one.

I spent a bit of last night polishing my purple Prince Albert.
    Second hand off of here but I'm already deeply in love with it. It's the 520 version and it's great.

I've always lusted after a Singular, though, I don't have the budget.

mugsys_m8

Une Sobre?
    C'est un On One pour le francais non? http://www.sobre-bikes.com/
    Mais, je ne sais pas le prix.
    A+

tron
    Free Member

The Cotic Soul seems to be a whole half pound lighter than an Inbred. I'd hardly call that scaffolding.

juan
    Free Member

Mugsy funny that I was on this website 30 minutes ago 😉 price is around 380€.

I'll try to get mine fixed first.
    Cheers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘More steelness’ is closed to new replies.