• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • More 'shizzle'. Multitool content.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    jam-bo

mines on its way.

andyl
    Free Member

When I opened the link I thought “meh”

But then I realised they are actually a very good idea – WANT!

mark90
    Free Member

I have been using a set of these….

Clever Standard makes quick work of re-using chain quick links

Admittedly they don’t store spare master links but having a pair of levers can be handy.

iainc

want…

roverpig

Thanks. Ordered 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I must admit they are quite neat but in what scenario do you need to undo a quick link on the trail?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

in what scenario do you need to undo a quick link on the trail?

…and can’t do it with your fingers?

andyl
    Free Member

chain twisted/jammed or RD damaged and need to shorten the chain. Can be tricky with cold fingers and 11/12 speed links are not designed to be undone (but can with brute force normally) and I find that using the correct tool means less chance of the links flying off when the chain separates and ending up 20m away!

jam-bo

9/10 spd maybe but 11 spd are a bit of a bastard.

I wanted a pair of quick link pliers anyway. these are pretty neat and weigh 38g.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can also do this:

Get the chain onto the biggest cogs on both the front and rear mechs (to create tension). Turn the crank to get the QR link at the 3 o’ clock position on the front cog; hold it there with finger pressure. From the bottom of the cog take up one link’s worth of slack in the chain and advance it anti-clockwise, up and round, until it is adjacent to the QR link at the 3 o clock position. If you’ve done it correctly the QR link and the link next to it (below it) should be pointing outwards in a ‘V’ shape; hold them both in that position by applying finger pressure to the links on either side. Then simply strike the apex of the ‘V’ with a small hammer or similar (obviously don’t be stupid about it) and the QR link will just come straight off.

Or use a bit of old brake or gear cable.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

9/10 spd maybe but 11 spd are a bit of a bastard.

Fair enough, I’ve broken plenty of 8/9/10 speed chains but I’ve never had to do an 11 and didn’t realise it was significantly harder so was speaking from a point of some ignorance.

christof
    Free Member

As above, cheaper, lighter and lest space taken in pack!

andyl
    Free Member

11 and 12 are supposed to be single use.

Re-using them may* lead to death**

*you will die anyway
    **or at least a major johnson to top bar/stem impact

iainc

ordered, will match my dropper remotes 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

As above, cheaper, lighter and lest space taken in pack!

You normally need to apply a little bit of a squeeze to the links with one hand to help them overcome the little lips, that seemed far too easy and possibly a well worn quick link. It was certainly not gunked up with old lube and grime.

I will try it though as will be useful it it works.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its decent/looks good but the price is ridiculous when you can just use either your hands or some old gear cable

Rik
    Free Member

You can buy one of these to go with it – https://www.spurcycle.com/products/tool

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘More 'shizzle'. Multitool content.’ is closed to new replies.