Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • More rubber questions (ie which tire)
  • andybrad

Hi folks,

Ok so the time has come for new rubber. The rear has worn out and ive been running 2.2 conti trail kings protection tires and I love them. However im also thinking that they are now a good few years old design wise and there may be other things on the market. I don’t want to go for less width than the 2.2 I currently have. Ilike everything about the tire appart from the weight. (trying the racesport versions were nice but I need the rock protection)

So im thinking of trying something like this for the rear
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/michelin-wildrock-r-26×2%2C35-advanced-reinforced-tlr-gumx-folding-449802/wg_id-241

or should I pop the trail king on the rear and get a 2.4 for the front? Or a magic mary or something? Or just stick with what im happy with.

Used all year round Calderdale.

Cheers

downhilldave

Calderdale based too, at the mo running a Shorty on the front and a Minion Dhf on the rear. Also use Dhf/Dhf combo and Ardent/Ikon for summer. All EXO 3C Max Terra versions. Found the side walls fragile and porous on Conti’s even their UST versions, racesport no good at all on Calderdale rocks. Tried a Mary but the nobs were tearing at the base. Maxxis seem to work for me, riding buddy loves Schwalbe Mary/Damph combo. The Michelin seems quite heavy

andybrad

Yea wouldn’t mind something lighter than the trail king but even hr are heavier

jonnyrockymountain

Bontrager XR4’s

fudge9202
    Free Member

Highly recommend Hutchinson Toro tubeless 29×2.35 front and rear, underrated but amazing all year round tyres, light and grippy. Or run the new Python II on the rear for more speed.
    Cheap at Acycles.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Front = Onza Ibex 2.4
    Rear = Bontrager XR4 2.2 or 2.35

Strong, light enough, reasonable rolling efficiency (ramped tread), decent grip and VFM Booooooooom

Just don’t buy the light 120 TPI XC versions and then expect no pinch flats! Unglamorous 60 TPI and you will be fine, dual ply if you want to smash rocks mainly downhill with impunity.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t pay 40 euros for a 26in tyre!

I’m just about to serve notice on 26in personally, drop me a line if you’re interested in lightly used bargains.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I run a Minion Dhf on the front and an Ardent on the rear and they’ve been faultless. Will switch to Shorty front and Minion Dhf on the rear when the mud sets in. Had a flint make a small hole that wouldn’t seal in the Ardent but stuck in a anchovy type thingy and it’s all good now. Live near Winchester so not rocky but very rooty in places with a few tracks that are littered with sharp flints, my previous contis puncture and torn so swapped to Maxxis. HTH

andybrad

minion is one heavy tire though

stevied
    Free Member

^8-900g’s isn’t that heavy for a a tough, reliable tyre. I’m running a 2.5″ 3C EXO which is 860g.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Heavy? 850g and thats for wire version? I have 2.3 DHF DHR2 great tyres as are HR2. A lot of people run DHR II on the front and HR2 on rear for winter. The DHR/DHF are lighter than HR2’s which is a surprise. Overal in the woods the DHF/DHR arrent so fast as the HR2 but are more sure footed

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-minion-dhf-275-review-2014.html

andybrad

thoughts of the baron tires?

Im just a bit skeptical abut going to maxxis. Dont know why. or poss the HR2

stevied
    Free Member

Im just a bit skeptical abut going to maxxis. Dont know why. or poss the HR2

Isn’t the HR2 Maxxis? 😕

andybrad

bit the bullet on a pair of hans damfs

andybrad

bit the bullet on a pair of hans damfs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘More rubber questions (ie which tire)’ is closed to new replies.