Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • More question re 1×10
  • bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Following on from my earlier queries….

I have ordered a Hope 34t chainring to bolt to my XT triple cranks in order to try a 1×10 set up. I’ll have a 36-11 cassette on the back, will this combo be ok or should I go to a 36t chainring? Suppose it all depends on the terrain?

Also how many bottom bracket spacers do I need to fit to a 73mm shell to ensure the chain ring is central relative to the block?

Can I put the chainring in either the outer or inner position on the cranks?

Ta

docrobster
    Free Member

34t is fine. unless you only every ride in the 11t sprocket at the back and you spin out
    one spacer on drive side
    chain ring in middle position

pudd
    Free Member

Only put it on the middle ring. Why a 73mm BB? is that the size of your frame? It don’t really matter what size chainring you start with within reason as you’ll change it if you don’t like it.
    What chain device are you using?

pudd
    Free Member

Also if your changing your cassette are you replacing your chain? If not expect some serious skipping.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Yes changing chain, cassette, shifters and chainrings.
    73 is the BB width
    I was looking at using a Superstar XCR chainkeeper

pudd
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got it sussed young lady.

Good luck and god bless yuh.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes changing chain, cassette, shifters and chainrings.

Suggests you’re going from 9 speed – you know you’ll need a rear mech too.

Northwind

I use 32T front on my 1×10 bike, with an 11-36 cassette. Might be slightly too low, still getting used to it but I’d rather too low than too high. Also pedalling fast makes you look well pro.

I did have 34 on the previous build and I know it’s adequate- did a few known Orrible Climbs with it and it wasn’t too bad at all. But so far the 32 hasn’t been as much of a drawback as I’d expect it would.

Superstar XCR is a perfectly decent bit of kit, but I’d suggest if you can, spend a little more and get the MRP 1X- it doesn’t work any better but it’s quicker and easier to set up- has very simple chainline adjustment that can be done with the cranks in.

But, also I’d mention that a top-guide alone, unless combined with a clutch mech, isn’t quite up to the job. I used to tolerate it, on an older build, but it did drop the chain more often than you really want.

cnud
    Free Member

You need to work out where the middle of your cassette is and space your crank accordingly
    Linky

Scamper
    Free Member

I now get away without a bottom device, but that’s with a bash and short cage saint to help the n gear jump stop.

oxym0r0n

A friend was just saying today that he is fed up with his seat tube mounted superstar whereas I have had far less problems with my, albeit more expensive, ethirteen…

Northwind

Oh- yeah, the seattube mounted one is pure mince.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t forget to order short chainring bolts!
    Charleithebikemonger sells them.

pudd
    Free Member

Don’t buy the ethirteen single chain ring bolts; you cant put more than 5 nm of torque into them without them stripping. Just doesn’t seem safe to me.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep the seat tube superstar I could not get on with either. Difficult to adjust with useless grub screws.

wrecker
    Free Member

Stronglight brand bolts have been fine for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘More question re 1×10’ is closed to new replies.