Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)
  • More progress on sexism in sport – haters form an orderly queue in 1972
  • theocb
    Free Member

I’m not sure objectification is outdated Metalheart.. it’s so bleeding complicated 😕 I’m not convinced objectification will ever be pushed under the carpet and perhaps it shouldn’t.. I am convinced we can progress to an equal society quite easily though.

Sorry to hear about your youngster.

ransos
    Free Member

What is lost by not having podium girls?

This is the key bit. Even Formula 1 managed to ditch this antediluvian practice some years ago.

giantalkali
    Free Member

The use of pretty Grid Girls isn’t sexist, but it is vulgar and outdated.

Bringing in youngsters associated with the sport is more beneficial, imagine a tiny Lewis Hamilton presenting Senna with a garland.

Rockape63
    Free Member

This is the key bit. Even Formula 1 managed to ditch this antediluvian practice some years ago.

Another reason I hardly ever watch F1 anymore!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    Another reason I hardly ever watch F1 anymore

Lol that made me almost spit my tea out!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hmmm! Challenge accepted! Right…

Women objectified based on physical attributes, largely for the pleasure of men

Women, ‘choosing’ to earn money by using those physical attributes.

Find both distasteful and think they are products of male hegemony, often justified by the fact of choice.

Nope, can’t see a difference yet, maybe you can help now. Perhaps first tell me.if you think prostitution is OK, and explain

chewkw
    Free Member

The day has finally come at the Santos Tour Down Under, with the state announcing its major events will no longer use women as decoration.

I think everyone should be treated equally so in sports everyone should participate regardless of gender or physical ability. No separation at all because that is discrimination.

Therefore, you should have men, women, steroid users and disable people etc competing in the same event.

The winner is the one that can beat everyone regardless of who they are.

theocb
    Free Member

Of course prostitution is okay 😕
    Just because things have been skewed by male dominance for so long, it doesn’t make those behaviours wrong. And yes choice is a fair justification. Progress must bring more open mindedness not more narrow minded behaviours.

Chewkw. I find the podium system slightly outdated, I would prefer the top 10 to be drawn from a hat at the end of the event as it’s the taking part that counts.

chewkw
    Free Member

theocb – Member
    Chewkw. I find the podium system slightly outdated, I would prefer the top 10 to be drawn from a hat at the end of the event as it’s the taking part that counts.

That’s a good idea too then let them share the price money. 😀

DrJ

STW earlier today …

fin25
    Free Member

DrJ – Member
    STW earlier today…

Wat?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hmmm! Challenge accepted!

You don’t look as though you’re really giving it much of a go.

maybe you can help now

No.

Perhaps first tell me.if you think prostitution is OK, and explain

At the risk of walking off down your cul-de-sac, I will respond. If by prostitution you mean a person charging another person money for sexual acts, then, yes, I do think it’s OK. That some people exploit or coerce those who are desperate or feel forced into making such a choice, I do not think is OK.

ampthill

I was going to let this lie but I’d rather not leave this thread with my opinions incorrectly explained by some one else. Although I have to describe an attempt to defend the status quo by sugestion that the rights of podiums girls needing defending as “herioc”.

The Tour De France is the third lagest sporting event in the world and the largets annual sporting event. The issue, to me, is not about the exploitation of the girls on the podium. They probaly aren’t exploited. I imagine them being in the last year of a phd and needing a bi of cash to get them through to the end before they star their careers as Astophysicists or whatever.

The Tour is male sporting event. Most sporting events are. That won’t change and we are along way from a female version having equivalant status. IMHO it would be better if the media images were are all rather than the status quo which seems to be all male plus podium girls.

The problem, which i have just added to, is pictures like this being a major part of the Tours media ouput. They contribute to a negative image of gender roles.

I’ll confess that I had to have this pointed by a female colleague. But once it was pointed out it seemed pretty clear what the problem was.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The blonde on the right looks well fit.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yep, third place clearly won. She’s beautiful.

Im yet to see why beautiful people of either sex being paid to stand around and look attractive is sexist. I’ve no doubt that it isn’t what we’d want for our sons or daughters but that says more about our prejudice about what counts as a worthy job as opposed to what is actually a denigrating role.

Also, as of yet, no one can give a good reason as to why they are the white knight s saving these girls from something they don’t necessarily want to be saved from but are still doing the right thing.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Go on 3 fish give it a go, cos at the moment, you look like you don’t know

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt that it isn’t what we’d want for our sons or daughters

I dunno it would beat a zero hours minimum wage job all day long.
    Use whatever you’ve got to get ahead, why not?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Go on 3 fish give it a go, cos at the moment, you look like you don’t know

No man, that’s you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

it’s because they have nice teeth and tits.

True – largely

the women have no say in it,

Untrue

Personally, cant see why we need podium girls but that’s for them to decide.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

To add to my earlier comment – that I still stand by – I worked in marketing the the 70s and 80s. I’ve seen this crap and had thought it had gone apart from a few small holdouts.
    Thursday a client asked for t-shirts with a company logo on. It appears that we will have ‘totty’ giving out stuff and doing PR in the new year.
    I pointed out that the streets of England are not the place to be wearing a t-shirt in January. And the concept is 30 years out of date.
    Totally ignored by the management. Their dicks are probably sooo hard thinking about choosing the girls.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Has anybody ever asked these podium girls what they think?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

This misses the point by a country mile.

The point is not whether the people who do it enjoy it. The point is that the custom of podium girls contributes to a culture, in sport and in wider society, where men are the heroic “do-ers” and the women’s role is to just stand around looking pretty.

Podium girls don’t offend me. Nor would I like to see them “banned”. But I’d like the organisers of sporting events to make the free decision to end practices in which women are promoted as “eye candy” in male-dominated fields.

DrJ

Maybe the podium girls could be replaced by plain looking middle aged women with nice personalities.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Tell you what. Why don’t we ban the major cause of this crap? Women’s magazines.

ampthill

Also, as of yet, no one can give a good reason as to why they are the white knight s saving these girls from something they don’t necessarily want to be saved from but are still doing the right thing.

I’ll I can say is that to me and many other on here, they are good reasons.

PS get the picture on your phone and pass it round the staff room Monday lunch time. Ask people what they think. Ty and include a few women under 30. Of course they all might agree with you, but give it a go

cinnamon_girl

Fascinating thread. 🙂

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Actually, it’s both of us. But given that that was my point,I’m happy that you provide support for it.
    Thanks

fin25
    Free Member

This is getting silly now.
    Who here thinks women have equality?
    In an equal world, podium girls are no problem at all. But of course, for a lot of you guys, the world does look pretty equal, because you may never have faced real discrimination, therefore podium girls are just fun.
    In an unequal world, where women can not even dream of achieving the same success or recognition as their male counterparts, podium girls are a personification and perpetuation of that inequality.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Actually, it’s both of us.

No, you’re either asking people (like me) to explain something you don’t understand or trying to manipulate them to explain it for you by way of arguing with them. Well, I’m not doing your legwork for you – that’s my point. You must think I was born yesterday…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not yesterday, but not much before. Nevertheless, it does look like it is something you cannot explain.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    This misses the point by a country mile.

Why? Aren’t they entitled to an opinion? Do you think because they are beautiful they don’t have the intelligence to have a say in the matter?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Nevertheless, it does look like it is something you cannot explain.

etc.. etc..

Clover

Actual female person here. I cringe every time I see podium girls.

Also if I’m watching racing I want to see women race. Cyclocross in Belgium is getting it right – you get to see the women’s race and the men’s on Eurosport. Televisation has made a difference, ask Helen Wyman.

Road racing and road racing culture makes me see red. I had a go at it but you can’t even race all the races in the calendar as a woman.

Also, I’m not shit. I could give most of you lot a run for your money in a 24hr solo. I never knew I had it in me until my 40s. Wish I’d been encouraged a bit more a bit earlier. Bah humbug.

If I had a daughter I’d be telling her to go for more! Not to be aspiring to be a podium girl. Aspire to be great. Your looks fade, but skill, training and determination you have for life. So yes, I think it’s great to have young cyclists handing out the prizes. It’s a chance to reinforce that inspiration.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Mmmm… men claiming it’s ok to have women used as pretty objects. Ok, I’ll believe you it’s ok and ignore all the women around the world who have a major problem with it. What do the women know anyway…they’re just good for looking pretty right… 🙄

cinnamon_girl

In an unequal world, where women can not even dream of achieving the same success or recognition as their male counterparts, podium girls are a personification and perpetuation of that inequality.

fin25 – not really seeing it as inequality. More and more women are enjoying competitive sport but the numbers are still considerably less than men. I’m not convinced that you’ll ever see an equal split, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Women aren’t actually being exploited by dressing up as podium girls, thanks to Katie Price it has become the women who’re doing the exploiting and importantly on their terms.

But if you start talking about body image and young girls then it’s a different argument alltogether.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Why? Aren’t they entitled to an opinion? Do you think because they are beautiful they don’t have the intelligence to have a say in the matter?

Oh don’t be stupid.

fin25
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl, you’re right, I don’t think that podium girls are necessarily being exploited, but their existence in sport is seen by many women as a bit of an insult, given the amount of barriers they may have faced. Things are rapidly improving though and huge progress is being made in women’s sport, so much so that podium girls are starting to look a bit silly to a lot of people.
    Totally agree with you on body image, but surely inequality plays a part in that too?

gray

I think very few people are really thinking that exploitation of the individuals is the issue here. I would assume that the individuals are making a free choice to do this for money, knowing exactly what they’re doing.

Equally, nobody is claiming that anyone will see a scene such as the above and say “Oh right, so that’s how it works then, the men are th important ones and the women are there to do nothing except look pretty.”

But in the context of there being so much crap like this around, and the historical (and current) inequality in roles and perceptions, it’s an unnecessary contributor to the perpetuation of those unfair, unhealthy and also downright stupid ways of thinking.

To my mind this is a kind of casual sexism. As has been said before, in an ideal world it would be so trivial that it just doesn’t matter, but we’re still a long way from there.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘More progress on sexism in sport – haters form an orderly queue in 1972’ is closed to new replies.