Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • More Power upfront: Hope E4 > V4 Caliper or 180 > 203 rotor swap.
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

I currently have a Tech3 / E4 combo upfront with a 180mm Centreline rotor.

Wondering how much difference replacing the 180mm with a 203 front rotor will make in terms of power / ease of application?

Also if it would make more difference just to swap out the E4 for a V4 caliper?

No issue being over biked for the UK / carrying a few extra grams, if I can just jump on and hit a black in the Alps.

I like the Hope modulation / ease of service, would just love to have a little more power on tap, a little easier over multiple days riding.

honourablegeorge

I’d definitely go rotor – if only because it’s easier and quicker.

JackHammer

And cheaper

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s a Hope chart which illustrates this exact point. I think either increasing the caliper spec or rotor size gives the same result. Depending on frame and fork, I did this same Hop up to both ends for the cost of one adaptor and one rotor.

soundninjauk

I’d go for Hope floating rotor. Mainly because they look so awesome.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got E4’s with 203 floating rotors up front. love them, plenty of stopping power.

jamesoz

Used E4’s with 203 uber bike floating rotor with the cooling bits on the front in this years Mega. Plenty of power, no fade. 100kg rider.
    I boiled a set of Zees to the point of failure in last years Mega, same size rotors used. Although I did get stuck behind a Skinny brake dragger and standard Zee Rotors.

SirHC

203 rotor, should be more than enough stopping power.

sillysilly
    Free Member

203 rotors it is, thanks all 😀

davewalsh
    Free Member
    sillysilly
    Free Member

That is super useful.

I tried out the E4 in the car park before buying, pulling the odd endo and it seemed plenty powerful. Very happy riding my usual UK locations but all changes once your confidence improves and you want to hit downhill every day.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I swapped over to v4 and 203 last year. It’s now a real problem as the other bikes in the fleet are e4 183 or less and that feels pants in terms of power.

203mm will help a lot, but v4 with the vented rotor is stunning.

Now about that new hope 6 pot hope thing and 220? Rotors spotted on the World Cup circuit……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘More Power upfront: Hope E4 > V4 Caliper or 180 > 203 rotor swap.’ is closed to new replies.