Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • More Job stress – retrain?
  • scunny
    Free Member

So it looks like my contract isn’t going to be renewed in March, it’s not come as a complete shock and i’ve already managed to squeeze one extension out of it, but the money has finally run dry. I’m not particularly upset about this, more annoyed that i’m going to have to go through the whole process of finding another job.

I work as a Team Leader in a Substance Misuse Service. I get paid reasonably well (£27k, not loads but enough), and the hours and autonomy is nice. The obvious route is to find a similar job using the usual recruitment agencies/direct applications. Currently work 1 miles away from my house which is great for getting back to let the dogs out, but i’ve given myself a commuting distance of 50miles when looking for a new position. If anyone works in the same industry and has any leads, please share.

The real reason I’ve posted this is I know there have been a few threads about people retraining. My girlfriend is encouraging me to do this, I’m not really in love with my job and would love to be doing something more practical, she earns enough to cover most costs if i was to spend 2 years relearning (college/uni/apprenticeships) whilst working part time. I’d be very interested in hearing from people that have retrained in plumbing or electrics in their late 20’s. What did you do? How did you do it?

I know that apprenticeships for mature students are like hens teeth unless you can get a foot in through friends/family, so I’m looking at college courses unless i get lucky.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

slightly different approach, every job I have done has been different to the previous one.
    Make a list of what skills you have – not in a role specific way but in a generic way, ask colleagues or friends and get a picture of who you are and what your skills are. When I was looking for work when I moved to Oz I summed up my various experiences in one phrase – problem solver.

It might not be the answer but it might give you some other ideas of things you can do and skip the retraining part.

epicyclo

First, marry your girlfriend now. She’s a keeper if she’s prepared to back you for 2 years. Return the favour.

Second, avoid working with people with blighted lives, it may feel good for a while, but eventually their darkness can suck the light out of your life.

Thirdly you’re intelligent and literate, consider starting a business. It may take a couple of years to be worthwhile, but you’re not making anything while at college either. I have a friend who started a property empire with one lawnmower.

You like bikes, presumably the outdoors, and you like dogs, sounds like a good place to start.

scunny
    Free Member

Second, avoid working with people with blighted lives, it may feel good for a while, but eventually their darkness can suck the light out of your life.

I agree. Whilst I still feel like I’m good at my job, it is draining to deal with other peoples shit all day long, i’ve lost a lot of the compassion/sympathy.

I’m pretty result’s driven and know that if the amount of effort I put in had an impact on the amount of money I bring home each week then I’d feel a lot more fulfilled (maybe richer/maybe poorer, but happier).

Thinking cap time.

mikey74
    Free Member

You’re lucky: Retraining in your late twenties is likely to be far easier than retraining in your late 30s, like I’m considering doing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

…or 40s…

jools182
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member 
    …or 40s…

+1

batman11
    Free Member

Well first off I wish I was in my late 20’s :-).
    But sadly early 40’s, kinda gone through the same thing hated job for some time/years shift work lose of weekends ending up with depression and and such, but sadly the kinda guy that just puts the blinkers on and takes the pay check at the end of the month.
    Having spent the last year or so doing the same thing as mike suggested above skills a valuation etc it seemed from my point of view that I’d spent 20 odd years cleaning in various forms!
    Thankfully work came to a head at the beginning of December and I was forced to leave my mistake at the end of the day, but a blessing in disguise.
    So while on suspension my partner kicked in to hi gear looked at and sorted finances out, and we got on with what we had talked about on and off over the last year plus.
    So van bought, sourced gear and bought and van being fitted out with machine this coming week, cross fingers I start cleaning windows in the next 10/14 days.
    Scary stuff but you know what I’m looking forward to being my own boss, own hours and best of all no more weekends unless I choose.
    So to get the point go for it,you seem to have support from a great partner(like myself) also you want to do it, and the only thing holding you back is you! Get your thinking cap on figure out skill set or what it is that you want to do and either train or just go for it if self employed, there is nothing worse than wasting your life doing what you hate for people you don’t want to do it far, I’ve probably wasted 8 plus years of my life just being an angry drone and to some degree made my self unwell which in turn has effected my life outside of work to quit a high degree.
    So in a nut she’ll go for it and don’t look back.
    Bats.

Marin
    Free Member

I retrained in my late 30’s after a varied life lots of it overseas. Went to college for City and Guilds decorating. I enjoy it and was making a decent living out of it. The recession has knocked the crap out of it for domestics and other trades have had a similar knock but I do live in the North West and we are not the most affluent. The college course was mainly stupid kids who were attending for learner grants with no interest in what they were doing. However the 4 of us on the course who wanted to be good(I was the youngest) have since[*] all been in pretty regular employment as we all wanted to work and have a brain despite the fact we all work with a paintbrush! I would say being a tradesman isn’t the easiest life by far but luckily I like all the people I work with, the cash is enough for me and I do like to see a result for my days endeavours. Just collect as many friends and phone numbers as you can it is all who you know. Try social housing providers for apprenticeship’s you may tick some of their boxes for recruitment. If you end up college based I’d say you need to get practical experience in the real world whilst on the course or you may be unemployable at the end.Theres lots of people with certificates and no experience out there.Good luck.

takisawa2

Shouldn’t post salaries on here.
    You’ll have all the salary trolls crawling out from under the bridge.
    🙂

My Wife did her very first shift on a hospital ward yesterday, as part of her Nursing Placement towards a degree.
    She’s…well that’s telling, but she’s had 20yrs of working in Finance till redundancy forced her hand.

Go for it. Do it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Whilst I still feel like I’m good at my job, it is draining to deal with other peoples shit all day long, i’ve lost a lot of the compassion/sympathy.

I was going to mention the Prison Service till I read that bit.

scunny
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice. i’ve spent the weekend writing a few different CV’s, so i’ll send those round and see what turns up. In the mean time i’ll start thinking about how i can make my millions on my own.

crikey
    Free Member

Looking into the future is always difficult, but remember you’ll have to work for a long, long time. Think how old the oldest working person is that you know, then think about working when you are 55, 65 and so on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘More Job stress – retrain?’ is closed to new replies.