Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • More Hifi – anyone using Tannoy DC6's?
  • RustySpanner

So……
    Which amp?
    What did they replace?
    How far from the walls?
    Do you like ’em?

Ta…..
    🙂

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Not heard them but the reviews are good. I am a Tannoy fan as have a set of Eyris 2’s with centre speaker running with an Arcam 400

Hope it works out for you…..I bought mine without listening to them and they are fantastic

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m using dc6T’s as my stereo/fronts, with dc6’s as the rears in my 7.1 system. I really like them. Need a mid to large room to get the best from the dc6T’s, and they sound best at higher volumes. Used the dc6’s as my stereo/fronts for a while and they were very easy to position, get the best out of, and probably were superior at lower volumes. I had them in corners, around 30cm from each wall, and they were great. Can get them cheap now, so are good value.

They are on my second system (used for both home cinema, and music), but the above relates to my experience using them to play 2 channel music. They do a fine job for movies too.

angeldust
    Free Member

If such things concern you, they look aesthetically great for the money too.

ojom
    Free Member

Had some old Definition 600’s run by a pair of Meridian monoblocks. This was about 10 yr ago I think. Meridian 506 and 501 up front.

Smooth and holographic type sound. Made the room walls disappear and had an ability to play loudly and cleanly that was only bettered by a pair of Meridian DSP5500’s.

Always loved Tannoy.

RustySpanner

Hmmmm, popped into Richer Sounds this afternoon for a quick listen.

Not ideal conditions, demo room, but the speakers were perched on top of some floorstanders, facing a glass wall.
    😐

Tried the Monitor Audio BX2’s first off –
    The bass was awful (no definition) and the top end sounded very harsh – fatiguing and unnatural.

Then the Tannoys – the treble was much, much better, well integrated vocals, smooth and believable.
    But where was the bass?
    Just nothing there, not even the ill defined mush of the MA’s.

It must have been the room and the haphazard nature of the placement.
    I’m tempted to go back and try and get a proper demo – both speakers have a great rep, I can’t believe they could actually sound that bad.

As it was, neither sounded a patch on my old Mission 700’s – a decidedly budget offering which never received the best of reviews even when new.

Thanks.

angeldust
    Free Member

Base is limited on the dc6. I used them with a good hifi sub, and they worked really well. The DC6T’s dont really need a sub for music.

angeldust
    Free Member

Demo sounds like a waste of time if they set them up like that.

RustySpanner

angeldust – Member
    Demo sounds like a waste of time if they set them up like that.

Yup, pretty much.
    Buuuut, Saturday afternoon in Richer Sounds & I hadn’t booked – I wasn’t really expecting much more, tbh.

Base is limited on the dc6. I used them with a good hifi sub, and they worked really well.

Not great on their own then?
    I can live with limited bass, if it’s well defined and accurate.
    No bass I just can’t cope with.

Damn, I was hoping these were going to be bargain of the century at £200.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

You really need a sub with any speaker and that includes tower speakers

angeldust
    Free Member

For music alone, I could live very happily with the dc6 stand mounts without a sub. For £200 they really are very good. I guess if you only listen to base heavy dance music, they willnot be ideal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘More Hifi – anyone using Tannoy DC6's?’ is closed to new replies.