Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • More CX wheel chat, apologies! Fulcrum R5 vs Ultegra 6700
  • 13thfloormonk

I’m about to take delivery of a CAAAAAAD X 105, and plan to immediately swap the wheels out for something a bit lighter.

My choices are:

The basic Shimano R500s off my racer, and put some new Ultegras on the racer.

New Ultegras on the CAAD X

New Fulcrum R5 CXs on the CAAD X

I can get the Ultegras as cheap as I can get the Fulcrums, and am drawn to them by the UST rim, but something still attracts me to the Fulcrums, probably that I had R7s before and they seemed stiff and bombproof.

Anyone got any experiences of either?

Cheers

mattmbk
    Free Member

I’ve had my CaadX 105 for a few weeks and have been really pleased with it ( apart from an appalling noise from the seat post, cured by dismantle, grease and rebuild ) I read the reviews about the wheels and was expecting the worst but can’t honestly say I’ve noticed any weight issues whilst riding. They wheels survived today’s lap of the Cli-machx mtb trail. I did change the tyres from the semi-slicks to Mud2’s. Enjoy you’re new bike.

GregMay
    Free Member

Tubs

13thfloormonk

Cheers matt, must say I’ve only got one review to go on, so might be being a little hasty. I felt I could get a worthwhile amount of cash for the stock wheels if I sold them split new, thats why I was thinking about replacing them from the word go.

Might just geek out and weigh them to see if there’s significant weight to be saved. Not really worried about sturdiness, I can wield a spoke key fairly well…

Greg, I’m neither that pro or that rich unfortunately 8)

JRTG
    Free Member

Evans have some roval pave sl on sale from £300 to £180 which are about 1650g so pretty light! I think tjts cheaper than the fulcrum r5 cx’s.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hope pro 3s on Mavic Open Pros will be my next CX purchase.. 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

teetosugars, but they are not cheap or particularly light, cx wheel choices are fairly hard tbh, i’m tempted to go the tubeless route, works great on mtb so should be ok for cx.

currently using some pro-lite merano which are surprisngly light stif and strong and picked em up for just over 100 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘More CX wheel chat, apologies! Fulcrum R5 vs Ultegra 6700’ is closed to new replies.