Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • morale dilemma (sort of).
  • racefaceec90

basically have paid £70 to my local bike shop on 25/11/11 (was planning on saving some cash to buy upgrades for my bike).the problem is that since then,i have saved up/bought a new squier tele guitar.the thing is that i don’t currently have an amp for it.am planning on getting a mustang 1 for £120 from a localish shop (where i bought the guitar from).now my dilemma is that i could really use the £70 to help pay for the amp.i do feel guilty though,asking for the money back from the shop (i haven’t actually ordered anything yet from them).i was going to tell the truth about what i wanted the money back for (i haven’t ridden my bike for a few months),as they are great guys in the shop (the manager has helped me out with buying bikes from him interest free/even though i am unemployed at present).i do plan on paying the money back to them (and doing what i originally planned,upgrading stuff on my bike). sorry for the long winded post,but would be appreciate you thoughts on the matter.thanks 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Am I missing why you gave them £70?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

+1 for Singlespeed Shep!

racefaceec90

sorry,i have done the same in the past.i prefer giving the money to the shop (when saving for bike stuff) 1. it stops me spending it and 2. it makes me ride my bike to the shop to pay it in/have depression/motivation issues with riding my bike (stupid reasons i know 😳 edit am about to run out of internet allowance (until sunday) apologies if i don’t reply before then 😳

Woody
    Free Member

It’s your money, so no problem and I’m sure the shop will be happy to keep you as a customer for future purchases.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If they are happy for you to use them as a bank then go get it back. Don’t forget your interest!

tomhoward

Isn’t that what banks are for? Oh, and press the space bar after punctuation. Please.

In response to your question, you might feel a bit silly asking, but it’s not like you have actually bought anything so there is no reason why they won’t give you the money back. Unless it’s a deposit for something?

meehaja
    Free Member

check local cash converters etc for a cheap amp.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

are you 15?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

are you 15?

Are you?

Oh, and press the space bar after punctuation. Please.

I dunno, I could make out exactly what he was talking about. racefaceec90 is a really nice member of the forum and contributes lots about gaming, guitars and biking…and has been open about some personal issues he has. What do you do other than dole out unwanted advice about typing skills?

bobbyspangles

it will be ok for you to get your money back from the bike shop, dont worry.

Davesport

Why don’t you just ask them nicely for your dosh back again 😀 along with a brief explanation. I’m sure they’ll understand.

Good luck.

D.

druidh
    Free Member

Think long and hard about asking for your money back. You are using the shop as a way of stopping you spending your “bike” money on other stuff, and now you are going to take it and spend it on an amp. It is all about priorities and you need to make sure you have it right.

Also, if you get it back off them this time, it is possible they will not want to do this for you in future. Is there anyone else who could help you by keeping a hold of some money for you so you need to really think about spending it?

RustyMac

druidh make a very good point. You have put that money there for good reason – to prevent you from doing things like this.

Is there any way you could scrape together enough for a cheap fender or marshal practice amp to tide you over till you can afford to save up for the one you really want?

I don’t really know anything about amps apart from these name i have seen on bands amps at gigs. My thought was everyone has to start somewhere and if you get a 2nd hand brand name/popular amp at a price you can afford now you would more than likely not loose any money on it when you came to sell it to pay for the amp you really want.

Maybe if you have some internet left you could pop up a wanted add for a cheap amp or advice on a good budget practice amp to look out for on ebay or the likes to tide you over.

leffeboy

I love sensible answers first thing in the morning – great start to the day 🙂

and great for your morale too 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Put it in a building society account with a 60 day notice period.

RustyMac

My reply was not ment to come accross as condcending or demening to the op, just trying to offer another option of a way to go to get what he wants. If it does I sinceerly apologise.

hora
    Free Member

In this climate a shop could fold and the first you’d know about it is its not open. Plus what if you saw the item(s) cheaper online? In straightened circumstances don’t you make your money go longer?

Sounds dramatic but if I was unemployed I wouldn’t be placing my money anywhere but my own wallet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would ask for the £70 back and put it towards a shift key and space bar.

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

anus – Member

are you 15?
    Are you the forum anus?
    As with most things, do you really need the amp? Will you be allowed to play the guitar plugged in? Or are the neighbours likely to complain? Rendering it an expensive coffee table. Is it possible to play and learn the guitar ampless? You’re a relative novice on the axe, aren’t you?
    If the amp can be converted into an investment, that is you’ve got some gigs lined up, then go for it. If not keep the money to one side as the bike is going to be more beneficial for keeping your head clear for all those computer games!! 😉

iDave
    Free Member

mini amp and headphones for now while you’re at the ‘smoke on water’ stage?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

at the ‘smoke on water’ stage

Do you think he will have ANY idea what that is? 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

mini amp and headphones for now while you’re at the ‘smoke on water’ stage?

There’s another stage?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I guess you’ve got a computer, so could you not just plug the guitar into that for now? I’m sure there must be a free equivalent of Garage Band out there that will do whilst you save for the real amp, and will probably have a lot more effects on it too (if that’s your thing).

As for the original question, don’t worry about the moral side of it. If you decide you do want/need the money back I really don’t think you should feel any dilemma about asking, but I do agree with what druidh said.

With all that said, I’m sat in my office with a Squier SP-10 amp that probably gets turned on a couple of times a year. I’m wondering whether I should be selling it so I can buy new bike bits…

BoardinBob

So if I’m reading this correctly

You gave money to a bike shop to hold for you
    You’re trying to save money but you want to splurge it on an amp
    You’re unemployed

Cheers. Gave me a right good chuckle this morning.

Get your money off the bike shop and put it in a restricted access savings account. If you’re skint and unemployed, don’t go spunking cash on a £120 amp. If you really must have an amp, scour the classifieds and pick up a second hand one.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Does the amp go up to 11?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Here’s my serious advice:

1) Ask for your money back – there should be no problem. If there is tell them that all of Singletrack thinks they should give it back.

2) Never pi$$ them about again because you will find yourself persona non-grata.

3) Get a bank account and keep your money there.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

raceface – I’m more than happy to start looking after your money for you. I’m a qualified accountant with letters and everything.
    I also live further away from you than your bike shop so the rides to deposit your cash would be massive. I’ll even give you a cup of tea before you start your journey home.

Fill yourself with win, start saving with The Saving Yeti.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyway back to the question.
    If you want to spend the money on the amp you shouldn’t feel guilty about asking for the money back. Your bike shop sounds really understanding, and if you’ve had this arrangement before, then they’ll totally understand the situation you’re in, and won’t think negatively of you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get the money back off the bike shop, why support their cash flow, I bet they wont be giving you a nice discount when you eventually do buy some thing. As above what happens if they go bust tomorrow?

Being unemployed is not nice and I think its good to keep doing things you enjoy, as when I have been out of work, even for only a matter of weeks its an awful feeling and can lead to depression all too easily.

However, don’t take this the wrong way, but you really need to get priorities right, if your strapped for cash why buy a new amp when second hand will do, and get some self control when it comes to finances, it will only work to your favour in the longterm.

Oh yeah and the Q, well ask for the money back, its yours, you dont have to justify it. If its a good LBS they will be happy to do it and hopefully will just say come back when your ready. If its a bad LBS they will get in a huff and then loose your business for ever…(this appears to be the shorted sighted approach of many LBS owners)

thegreatape
    Free Member

start saving with The Saving Yeti.

TSY – the bank that likes to say Yeti.

😕

racefaceec90

well my monthly internet credit has just replenished (monday/not sunday as i said 😳 deadlydarcy thanks for the kind words 😀 and to everyone else also,thanks for your advice. the good thing is that the shop i go to (they are a great bunch of guys) they know my situation (both financially and mentally) and they have helped me out a lot with buying bikes e.t.c.the manager is a really decent guy and i know that he won’t mind to be honest (i will be buying bike stuff off of him as the weather gets better/i ride my bike again). p.s apologies for my scrunched up posts,but i do not know how to put spaces in them (when i try and put spaces,it gets scrunched up when i send it 😕

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘morale dilemma (sort of).’ is closed to new replies.