Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moral EBay Dilemma regarding fake goods – What would STW do?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

So,

I bought a case for my phone listed as “Official Apple iPhone 6 Leather Case”. It was a bid, not buy now, and it went for £25 with postage in the end, so saving a tenner on the RRP of £35 (outrageous for a case, I know.).

The thing arrived and it was clearly fake. The logo was on the piss, there was no Apple text on the inside, the quality of the leather and embossed buttons was crap, and it fits nothing like the real ones do based on photos from others online.

So I raised a dispute, and the shop quickly replied (Less than 24 hours) with the below:

Hello, We feel deeply sorry about the inconvenience, we will contact with our supplier. Is it ok, that now we return the money to you, and you also don t need to waist time and money to send it back. And could you please not leave us a negative or neutral feedback, when you recevie the refund? Asking for your understanding! Have a nice day:)

This tells me two things;

1: It is indeed a fake. If it was real they would request it returned.
    2: They knew it was fake before sending it out. From working in IT distribution I know you don’t “just” end up with fake goods.

Would people agree it is my duty to leave negative feedback warning others? Other buyers might not be so diligent.

My moral dilemma comes with the knowledge that some people’s livelihood relies on EBay. But selling counterfeit goods is a no no.

On the plus side, they were quick sending this reply, although I have not seen any evidence of my refund, yet. I’ll check my bank/paypal tonight.

What would STW do?

scotroutes

I’m failing to see the dilemma. Counterfeit goods get reported. In fact, your only decision is whether just to let ebay know or the Police too.

Legoman
    Free Member

My moral dilemma comes with the knowledge that some people’s livelihood relies on EBay ripping people off by selling fake crap on the internet

Does that help?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Refund and report to eBay trading standards and anyone else. That and negative feedback using words like fake and counterfeit.

MrGrim

Get refund then leave negative feedback. Sounds likely they knowingly sell fake goods but rely on the majority not to complain offsetting the lower minor percentage they have to refund.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ll look on the parcel. If it’s far enough away as to not get a brick in the window I will at least report to EBay.

zilog6128

As above, it’s a total scam. Selling counterfeit goods at just enough less than the real price so it still looks legit but is tempting enough for the greedy/gullible (no offence! 🙂 ) is the oldest trick in the book.

Negative feedback, report.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+ whatever; no dilemma. If it was a 5 quid cheap and cheerful chinese number then you expect it to be a “replica”, that’s been priced at genuine but bargain price so is counterfeit, intending to deceive.

Refund, negative feedback, report to eBay.

nuke

Get refund then leave negative feedback. Sounds likely they knowingly sell fake goods but rely on the majority not to complain offsetting the lower minor percentage they have to refund.

^ This

Gary_M
    Free Member

My moral dilemma comes with the knowledge that some people’s livelihood relies on EBay

Some people livelihood relies on selling drugs to kids, still wrong though.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There’s no honour amongst thieves. Promise themthe world, then stiff them!
    Just like the do to their customers.

lightman
    Free Member

I’ll look on the parcel. If it’s far enough away as to not get a brick in the window I will at least report to EBay.

The reply you got sounds a bit like they’re Chinese. Check out where the actual shop is because a lot of Chinese sellers have UK listed addresses/warehouses, so you are not likely to have any issues with bricks!

plyphon
    Free Member

haha, indeed. Finest Chinese English.

Yeah, Ill be fully reporting tonight. Moral dilemma over.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Funny that, never had a problem with counterfeits on Ebay until this last month. 1 x fake Michael Kors iPhone case and 1 x pair fake MBT shoes.

The shoe seller refunded immediately with no request for goods and the case seller requested the goods returned first.

I neglected to leave feedback for either as were both used items and both individuals (not shops) so there is of course a chance that they weren’t aware that the items were counterfeit. If they had been selling fake goods new as a commercial operation I would kick off.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’d let Apple know, thinking that they are more likely to take action.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moral EBay Dilemma regarding fake goods – What would STW do?’ is closed to new replies.