Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • moral dilema – what would you do??
  • steveotomo
    Free Member

thought i would throw this out to the forum

i ordered a macbook pro from apple at the beginning of the week… just one, base model…

took delivery today, and low and behold, they have sent me 2!!??

i cant decide what to do, do i inform them of the mistake, or ignore it and sell one on??

really cant decide…

answers below

PiknMix
    Free Member

Tell them of their mistake IMO

sc-xc

I would let them know. Similar thing happened to me (albeit in an LBS) and I don’t think I would have enjoyed living with the ‘what if they find out’….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

They did the same to me and within 3 days had called me and collected the second one.

Its theft and not worth the fallout.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not actually a moral dilemma at all is it?

steveotomo
    Free Member

guess thats decided then lol…. phone call to apple in the morning

sweepy
    Free Member

Hold on, isn’t there some law that says if you are sent something unsolicited you can keep it?

athgray
    Free Member

I disagree with early posts. It is up to you to ensure that your Income tax code is correct, so as far as I am concerned it is up to the vendor to ensure they send out the correct order. It’s their mistake. I would hang on to it for a bit and see if they ask for it back. You could sell it and put the proceeds in an offshore bank account. Nothing immoral about it. I am sure Apple would agree.

CountZero

Hold on, isn’t there some law that says if you are sent something unsolicited you can keep it?

IIRC, if you notify them, and they fail to pick it up, after a period of time you can claim it as yours.

steveotomo
    Free Member

would they even know i received an extra one?

invoice and order clearly state 1 x mbp

CaptJon
    Free Member

Your first mistake was buying it from Apple, not a retailer who pays proper UK tax (e.g. John Lewis).

freeagent
    Free Member

Personally I’d stick it under the bed and forget about it for a while – if they ask for it back I’d surrender it immediately, otherwise I’d hang onto it.

Nobody is saying you have to do the same.

riiich
    Free Member

They gave it to you – don’t see how it can be theft.

muckytee
    Free Member

Careful now, if you don’t send back the extra laptop then the loss incurred by apple might force them into bankruptcy.

I’d keep it for a month, if it’s all quiet then sell.

richmtb

I wouldn’t sell the second one. I’d return the first one for a full refund under the Distance Selling regulations instead

johndoh
    Free Member

Its theft and not worth the fallout.

How on earth is it theft? If someone came to your house and left their expensive watch, did you steal it?

samuri
    Free Member

tell them but it’s up to them to collect it. If they don’t, it’s yours.

It’s the right thing to do. When you talk to them, point out repeatedly that you’re doing the right thing.

scaled
    Free Member

I wouldn’t sell the second one. I’d return the first one for a full refund under the Distance Selling regulations instead

You sir, are a genius!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Do you have a delivery note or a copy of the delivery note you signed does it say one or 2 on there?

steveotomo
    Free Member

says 1

johndoh
    Free Member

And I have a rule – if Mrs Miggins local shop gives me the wrong change, I’ll give it back. If McDonalds do, tough, I’m having it.

piemonster

It’s probably illegal

I, however would keep quiet. Leave it boxed up and return IF they ask for it.

Their screw up. They need to rectify. They’d be paying for collection too.

I’d also be checking my bank account to see what I’ve been charged for.

piemonster

Not saying that’s the “right” thing to do. Just what I’d do.

steveotomo
    Free Member

It’s probably illegal

I, however would keep quiet. Leave it boxed up and return IF they ask for it.

Their screw up. They need to rectify. They’d be paying for collection too.

I’d also be checking my bank account to see what I’ve been charged for.

already checked cc statement… only been charged for one

piemonster

I’d be practicing responding to a phone call with, “oh yes, I was wondering when you where going to collect that”

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d be saying ‘nope, I got the one I ordered and is stated on the delivery note, prove otherwise’.

maccruiskeen

How on earth is it theft? If someone came to your house and left their expensive watch, did you steal it?

Theft by finding or some such

d45yth
    Free Member

To be honest, you should never have posted this. You never know who might see it now. The fact your username is close to whatever your real name is and your email is in your profile doesn’t help.

EDIT: Remember if you do sell and the buyer ever returns it to Apple for a repair, things could start to get interesting.

longj
    Free Member

If you buy something from an independent then obviously fess up and return. This happened to me once and they gave me 10% off forever for my honesty ! However in your case you are dealing with ghastly Apple. Clearly it is your moral duty to keep it.

oink1
    Free Member

Orange did the same to me some years ago with a new phone – conscience got the better of me so I rang and told them. Guy at customer services told me ‘As far as we are concerned Mr Oink – we have only delivered you one’ Result, sold on the ‘Bay for £150! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Did he actually say ‘mr Oink’?

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks Mac. That cleared it up. Well as much as by saying the law isn’t clear

OP – just keep it.

teadrinker
    Free Member

If it was me, I’d probably keep it for a while and if they hadn’t chased it up then sell it on eBay as a 50% charity listing with £0.99 starting price and no reserve. That way make some money for yourself and give some to a charity.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

How is keeping it not theft! It’s obviously a mistake!

steveotomo
    Free Member

If it was me, I’d probably keep it for a while and if they hadn’t chased it up then sell it on eBay as a 50% charity listing with £0.99 starting price and no reserve. That way make some money for yourself and give some to a charity.

might just do that… hell, worst that could happen is that i get charged for the second one.. at least i would have done my bit for charity 😉

maccruiskeen

Thanks Mac. That cleared it up. Well as much as by saying the law isn’t clear

The finder must take reasonable steps to locate the owner

Seems clear enough – the instances where larceny wasn’t upheld were where un-labelled/ untraceable items such as money were found in public spaces, where nothing about the item or the location gives a lead as to who the legitimate owner might be. Cases where it was upheld were where things are found relating to customers, or transactions or identifiable premises. In your case theres no question where the laptop came from – its got their name on it and arrived in a package with their return address on. So you don’t even need to take a reasonable step.

As a contrast. We received a package with some wheel trims in last week. Unknown name but my address (a named house rather than a number and our full address and postcode so its not a typo). Left at the door by the courier, no consignment note or return address, unbranded items in unbranded packaging. I know all my neighbours here, so I know its not for any of them. So theres a limit to what reasonable steps I can take to identify either the intended recipient and no steps I can take to identify the vendor.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Karma?

ninfan
    Free Member

Post them an empty envelope with post office proof of posting, then keep it

if it ever comes to anything, you point to your proof of posting as proof that you wrote to them and informed them of their error, but they failed to pick it up – lack of dishonesty, ergo no theft charges.

konabunny
    Free Member

Theft doesn’t require dishonesty.

eBay the second one, donate proceeds to tax man to offset Apple’s missing tax dues.

toys19
    Free Member

Its unsolicited goods see here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘moral dilema – what would you do??’ is closed to new replies.