Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mopeds
  • Stoner
    Free Member

While the biker gang are on the forum, quick Moped/Motorbike Qu from an ignoramus.

I got my car drivers licence in ’92, but had a CBT at 16 in ’91 on a provisional licence. The CBT lapsed after 2 (or 3?) years and I havent ridden a moped since.

Im considering getting something like a moped for a 15mile run to the train station – in the dark and wet mornings down country roads. Id like to be able to go up to c.60mph. Would prefer a moped design over a proper bike.

Qu1: how easy is it to get a licence – what would I need to do? and;
    Qu2: what kind of moped/motorbike am I looking for?

weeksy

http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-motorbike-forum/

Come ask over here, i don’t want to give you duff information. They have instructors etc who will answer your questions. It’s a bit of a lairy forum, so expect a bit of banter in with your sensible answers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A moped is under 50cc and limited to 30 mph – you don’t want one of them. You want a small motorcycle or scooter and for that sort of run I would suggest at least a 125 scooter so you need to do your full licence.

You could just do a cbt and ride a less than 125 for 2years.

so – to get a full licence the bet way is an intensive direct access course – take around a week and costs around £500.

You want a scooter. There are loads. My preference is for the European ones as they have a lot of common parts so spares are easy to get.

hora
    Free Member

Tyrewise how do they ‘cope’ with cold/wet weather (avoiding manhole covers) – i.e. can you buy winter specific tyres that actually make a difference?

Stoner I’d get a 125 if possible and one with really shabby looking plastics etc. That way when you lock it up at the station the thieves will pick shiny/resaleable/breakable looking decent bikes over yours.

Stoner
    Free Member

what about one of these?

can apparently be ridden on a car licence? And Im guessing two wheels up front makes for a safer ride ride?

EDIT

That way when you lock it up at the station the thieves will pick shiny/resaleable/breakable looking decent bikes over yours.

Hora, I dont live in the grim north where if it’s not bolted down some scrote will nick it. 🙂

weeksy

Tyrewise how do they ‘cope’ with cold/wet weather (avoiding manhole covers) – i.e. can you buy winter specific tyres that actually make a difference?

You can indeed, things like the Avon PXR (Pro Extreme Rain)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 iDave!

hora
    Free Member

Hora, I dont live in the grim north where if it’s not bolted down some scrote will nick it

Cough Travellers, cough transit van driving round areas looking for anything not bolted down…then sold on in a different county 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dan1980
    Free Member

I’m not fully understanding TandemJeremy properly, so my attempt at clarification (Having just been through a similiar choice – CBT “passed” Saturday!):

You’d want to be riding a minimum 125cc scooter or motorbike for that kind of commute (I’m not sure about the 3 wheeler thingy so I won’t mention anything about that)

If you need to do a CBT, which I think you do, you’ll have 2 options to ride wither a “twist and go”/”automatic” (also called a moped or scooter) or a clutch and geared bike. Regardless of which one you do, you can ride anything up to 125cc once you’ve got the certificate, although there’s little point in doing the automatic version if you’re planning on riding a clutch and geared bike.

Once you have your CBT you can legally ride anything up to and including 125CC on L plates but not on a motorway or special road.

Your CBT is valid for 2 years, and in that time you can opt to take a test. This test can be done in one of 3 ways:

[list][*]A light Motorcycle test – which limits your riding to something below 125cc (so basically a moped)[/*]
    [*]An A1 licence – Which allows you to ride something between 120 and 125cc, so a “learner motorcycle”. After 2 years it automagically upgrades itself to a full licence to ride any size bike[/*]
    [*]Direct Access – You have to take your test on a bike larger than 125cc but it allows you to ride anything immediately after passing.[/*][/list]

In terms of vehicles you might want to look at, if you decide to go the automatic route, then have a look at the Honda PCX. If you wanted clutch and gears, with the idea of a larger bike (or larger automatic) down the road then have a look at the Honda CBF125.

hora
    Free Member

I did my CBT etc on geared bikes.

At somepoint someone will say ‘get a geared bike stoner its better and you’ll want to get bigger bikes etc at somepoint’.

I say auto’s are great if its just a A-B no hassle, no fuss option and you don’t have much interest in motorbikes or an inclination to ride any really.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers dan.

I dont think im going to end up going into full on biking – not sure the wife would let me. Just need a twist and go to get me to the train station without piling the miles on to my campervan.

maybe a CBT and then work on the LM or A1 in due course, or just keep renewing the CBT until I no longer have a use for it I guess.

I like the look of the piaggio. The LT has a wide enough wheel track at the front to class as a car so can be driven on a car licence and the two wheels provide more stable grip. But they are pricey.

hora
    Free Member

I dont think im going to end up going into full on biking

Stick with auto’s.

Although why not buy a 2004 Fiat Panda? Newshapes are plentiful now and little more than a Vespa. Infact probably the same price and you don’t have to buy expensive waterproofs, helmet, boots etc etc – and don’t forget the weather…

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/fiat/panda/postcode/m154ld/radius/1501/sort/priceasc/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/2000

I’d rather do 15miles in one of those than your choice.

firestarter
    Free Member

If you need to do a CBT, which I think you do, you’ll have 2 options to ride wither a “twist and go”/”automatic” (also called a moped or scooter) or a clutch and geared bike. Regardless of which one you do, you can ride anything up to 125cc once you’ve got the certificate, although there’s little point in doing the automatic version if you’re planning on riding a clutch and geared bike.

I know its not really an issue for you but I’m pretty sure if you do a cbt on an auto you can’t ride a geared as it has auto written on your cbt and you certainly can’t do further training on a geared bike if you have an auto cbt

Stoner
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying Mark, but I dont want the clutter of another car on the drive, whereas I can put the moped in the shed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Might be a slow fifteen miles though…

allthepies
    Free Member

Oooo, mod that puppy!

D0NK

[Tangent]

Once you have your CBT you can legally ride anything up to and including 125CC on L plates but not on a motorway or special road.

whats a special road?

hora
    Free Member

Special road for special motorbikes?

hels
    Free Member

Thanks for info Dan1980

I have had my CBT for two years so I know I have to “refresh” it, but sounds like that A1 licence thing might be a goer. I am pretty confident now so might be better spending the money there, and just keep riding the 125 for two more years.

(As much as I want to get a Big Bike a) just bought a new car so the toys budget is shot b) I have no garage and even where I live (50m from the cop shop) not parking a nice bike on the street.)

dan1980
    Free Member

whats a special road?

They’re roads with unusual restrictions.

For info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_road

br
    Free Member

Just get one of these:

http://www.pulsemoto.co.uk/WY125T-74.php

TJ will come on and say they are crap, based upon a bloke at work who once bought a scooter made in China – but I got my son the 50cc version and its as good as, and (my son’s) rides well.

If I had a short commute like you’ve got then I’d be tempted with one, certainly wouldn’t want to bother getting my Triumph out.

And winter tyres on a motorbike…, that’s a new one on me

Stoner
    Free Member

Dropped into one of the local dealers and he showed me a s/h Yamaha for £1400, 3k on the clock. Very good condition 11 plate. serviced etc and not ragged.
    two seats, rear rack, and I can get a screen for it for £70ish.

will do 60mph eventuually, but MCN dont think much of them. Only needed for 15miles 2 or 4 times a week.

Or do I hunt down a maxi scooter or Honda PCX 125. I love honda engines, and they get well reviewed. About £2,500 new, but not easy so to find s/h.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mopeds’ is closed to new replies.