Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Moore's Valley – any info?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So I’ve seen it mentioned in the press and on the 1SW website that a short trail (7km) has been opened up at Moore’s Valley.

Presume it runs from the visitor’s centre out to the site of the old northshore at watchmoore and back.

Is that right? Easy to find? And how is it?

Looking for a suitable easy ride for when my shoulder is fixed (hopefully end of Nov)

Ashley
    Free Member

Yes, Very easy to find and easy to ride too. My kids like it.

From the visitor centre it is all well signposted. The whole thing is around 4.75miles in length and I believe someone has looped it in under 17 minutes, although I have struggled to get under 20. It is quite tight and the trees very close (so watch your shoulder!)

It doesn’t go right up to the northshore area though, but it is quite close by and easy to peel off if you want a drop or two.

Getting quite popular which is a good thing.

Lummox

Ashley which way is it ridden? anti or clockwise, read a few things saying it might be 2 way?

Ashley
    Free Member

It used to be 2 way – but sense prevailed and it has now been made one way. It goes Clockwise which is slower but I can understand why they have done it that way.

I have GPS recordings of it at home – which I must upload to bikely or similar when I get a chance.

It’s not worth travelling too far for – Wales it is not. My 11yo Son loves it though! It is designed as a hard family trail, and for most of them it will be harder than they get on the forest roads. But for a serious cyclist you will be disapointed.

Lummox

Cool, was fearful of 2 way. I’m Southampton based so not too far and a good spot to take the fiancée when it’s been wet for a while.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

a good spot to take the fiancée when it’s been wet for a while

I can’t believe you posted that on STW and it has gone unnoticed for over an hour!

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Ashley, Southampton based too, with inlaws in Ferndown so rideable from their door down the railway. Good stuff. Lets hope they build a few more near us.

dobo
    Free Member

oh i’ll have to give this a go

lucien

Dobo – i’m a bit unsure do you want to give “good spot to take the fiancée when it’s been wet for a while” a go or the trail?

Ashley
    Free Member

For DT78 – A map showing the route…

dobo
    Free Member

probably best not to take lummox’s fiancée.. i’ll give the trail a go though and maybe take my gf too..

mmb
    Free Member

It’s good for a quick bit of fun, i’ll be there tomorrow around 10.30 as the chain ferry is out for a month, did a night ride at the valley last week, just a couple of laps one the wrong way and one the right way as there was no-one else there and it was great fun swooping in and out of the trees in the dark.

keefus
    Free Member

Watch out for dog walkers….they think its for them as well! There are no signs to say its for mountainbike riders.

mmb
    Free Member

The problem is that is shown to be a cycle track only but at the beginning and nowhere else but is accessable anywhere along the route so if a pedestrian does not enter at the start point near the visitor centre they won’t know.

spooky_b329

I always wanted to ride the treetop trail 🙂 Anyone done it?!

Ashley
    Free Member

Yup – I have ridden the tree top trail. Your handlebars can fit through most of it without issue. SOme points you need to stop and bounce to get round without dabbing.

The signs roudn the trail are now getting better – but whilst they highlight it is now the cycle trail – there are no signs to stop other users and that is because they are allwoed to use it. They do have small no entry signs on the reverse route at every stage.

Rode it yesterday (and got a puncture somehow – but I think that was from Verwood Forest) and it is bedding in much nicer now.

Best at night though, but it will be good in the winter when everything else in the area bogs you down.

Like a lot of the riders, I live in the immediate area so can easily get there by bike alone whenever I want – which thanks to work & family is not very often 🙁

mmb
    Free Member

just got back from moors valley, had quite a nice ride and the track seems to drain quite well even after last nights rain. i would say it’s best as a night ride as it’s more fun in the dark and there’s no pedestrians on the track so you can ride at your preferred pace.

DT78
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the map Ashley. Fingers crossed I’ll get the all clear end of the month and give it a go.

Reckon I’ll definitely have a ride there on xmas day/boxing day when at the inlaws

Is there anything else interesting in Verwood woods?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Moore's Valley – any info?’ is closed to new replies.