Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Moon Shield 60 – best rear light or is there better
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

self contained that is for over all visibility (day and night time use on the road of course)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. Made of mental so nice and tough. Very bright daytime mode. I’m happy. 🙂

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-drive-rear-led-light/

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s the best by miles Rob.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I have to say that my Moon Shields are the best I’ve used to date. Light, waterproof, bright and able to vary the setting easily, USB charging, and a really simple, but solid mount.

Highly recommended.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so nothing else comes close?

althepal

“Made of mental”??

ndthornton
    Free Member

Wow £40 for a flashing light!
    What does it do other than flash??

Mine cost £12 and it has 5 times as many LED’s!

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/l-ld600rearlight/?gclid=CMDZvbTG8LoCFWVNpgodnxEADA

billytinkle
    Free Member

Best I’ve used so far too. Would buy another if it ever dies.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ndthornton, it is waaaaay bright

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s very bright, I have mine facing down so not to dazzle other cyclists.

ndthornton
    Free Member

It’s very bright, I have mine facing down so not to dazzle other cyclists.

So hang on – you have bought an expensive, super bright light…..
    and then point it down so as not to blind people?

I’m sure I am plenty visible with my cheapy option.

There are not “levels of being seen” a driver doesn’t see you more with a brighter light – you are either seen or you are not seen. You may piss him/her off more with a brighter light but that’s a different thing all together.

Just my opinion – worked for me for donkeys years.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

surely brighter = being seen from further away/through trees etc though?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I combine a moon comet with an exposure flare.
    Comet is really bright and the pulse on the flare grabs attention.
    Cars give me much more room with this combo, than with just the comet on it’s own.

nedrapier

I think if you’ve got an urban commute, brighter beyond a certain point isn’t better. There are a few I’ve followed that I’ve thought “that’s a bit much!” and have to keep my eyes away from it. 2 lights is probably better than one really bright light, especially if they’re in different places one high, one low. Then max out the reflectey stuff – get some of those reflectey ankle strip snap bands, which highlight the fact that you’re a cyclist.

Less urban commutes with higher speeds, trees, hedges etc and is where I’d want a really bright light.

sefton
    Free Member

very good, mine lasted two weeks and became faulty.

however high on bikes sent another right away. and the people at moon shield got back to me right away too.

I have read the exposure flare/flash are temperamental too.

its well made and the fastening strap is simple and robust.

it was a long warranty so I’m going to stick with them

zilog6128

I have this light, it’s good. VERY bright. I like the fact it’s USB chargeable. If it broke or I lost it I’d definitely buy another.

drlex
    Free Member

Note of caution/anecdote time:
    Mine has
    1. Broken clip, although only ever used in its mount. Now araldited into mount.
    2. Developed “leak” so that it will discharge over a couple of days inactivity.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Anywhere cheaper that £31?

eyerideit
    Free Member

So hang on – you have bought an expensive, super bright light…..
    and then point it down so as not to blind people?

Yes I point it down not to blind cyclists behind me out of coutesy more than anything else. It also creates a big pool of red light behind me and reflects of my mud guard.

I don’t see what your problem is, if you’re happy with your sh*tty little lights so be it, let people ‘waste’ their money on what they see fit. I’m sure you could find another thread to troll if you’re that bored.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

touche 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t see what your problem is, if you’re happy with your sh*tty little lights so be it, let people ‘waste’ their money on what they see fit. I’m sure you could find another thread to troll if you’re that bored.

And stay down!

🙂

SimonR

The Moon lights are great (bright, compact, good mount, good battery life & quick charge) but only if you can keep them relatively dry. A bit of moisture doesn’t bother them but a good solid soaking (normal winter commuting conditions!) didn’t do mine any good at all.
    Going to try the Exposure TraceR this winter – supposed to be a bit more weather resistant.

Kryton57

eyerideit – Member

Jnr still keeping you awake at night? 😉

zilog6128

Mine is on it’s second winter now, used daily for the commute in all weather and is absolutely fine at the moment! Still get about a weeks use out of the battery between charges.

The clip does seem a bit flimsy but unlike the chap above mine has been fine so far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, one of mine is on to a second (or is it third?) year of use. On the helmet, so not protected by mudguards/anything and in all elements, all year round. Faultless.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Jnr still keeping you awake at night?

He’s actually starting to sleep through, so pretty happy on that front.

But my capacity to tolerate bellendry seems to have diminished considerably – not sure if this is baby or age related.

tonyd

Will it fit onto the rear horizontal bar of a pannier rack? I’m in the market for a second (/third) rear light but would like one that will fit on to my rack (ooh err).

Rack doesn’t have one of those light attachy plates though. Currently I have a cateye on there with the zip tie-esque attachment pulled up really tight but I’m not convinced it’ll stay there (most likely rotate and point up/down).

zilog6128

Not without some bodging. I was going to experiment with that, I think I found a rack mount (cateye?) online that looked like it had a similar clip, but I never got around to ordering it as I just kept it on the seatpost.

tonyd

Shame. Anyone tried one of these?

Edit: I think it attaches to the rear of the rack and emulates a seat post for standard light attachment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FWIW, before my Brompton, I used to run a Holy Hand Grenade of Cateye on my rack, using the frankly excellent rack bracket from Cateye. If your rack has reflector mounts (Two holes, basically), get one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bright rear lights I mostly get.

rear lights pointed down I don’t get.

front lights that almost blind you – as a pedestrian, rider or driver, I don’t get.

ndthornton
    Free Member

But my capacity to tolerate bellendry seems to have diminished considerably

You must struggle to live with yourself then
    Just trying to save you all a bit of cash and introduce a bit of common sense and you get all on the defensive!
    I can see how insecurity and feeling the need for super powerful lights may be linked though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rear lights pointed down I don’t get.

Not dazzling others, massive pool of light behind you, etc.

I run two lights, both Moon Shields now. One on helmet flashing, one of seatpost constant, slightly down angle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Not dazzling others, massive pool of light behind you, etc.

Buy a less bright light and mount it properly, whoTF sees lit tarmac above a well-aimed light?

Still don’t get it.

zilog6128

Anyone tried one of these?

Edit: I think it attaches to the rear of the rack and emulates a seat post for standard light attachment.That looks like it would work. A clip that attached directly to the rack via the holes would be better though.

GrahamS

I’m using a Lezyne Zecto Drive at the moment:

£26 from http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-zecto-drive-rear-led-light/

Good little light. Nice and visible. USB rechargable. Fuel guage.

I also use a Fibre Flare on the seatstay (plus a suite of reflectives etc).

stevious

Graham – how does the weatherproofing seem on the Zecto? I’m growing weary of replacing rear lights after they get wet.

I guess the same question stands for the moon light too. I went through a few comets that couldn’t cope with some weather – is the shield better proofed?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have one of these coming, completely waterproof (even encased in ice)

http://www.seesense.cc/#sthash.B09uy95Z.dpbs

GrahamS

Graham – how does the weatherproofing seem on the Zecto? I’m growing weary of replacing rear lights after they get wet.

Seems okay so far. My first winter using it.
    The only possible ingress point is the USB port which has a nice big rubber bung in it. The rest seems well sealed so I expect it to be fine.

It sits on the light loop of my saddlebag and has survived a couple of heavy showers so far without any issue. (I do use a rear mudguard though).

GrahamS

No one fancies the new Blink light then??

A bargain at a mere £115 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Moon Shield 60 – best rear light or is there better’ is closed to new replies.