Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • moon / planet! (excited geek with cheap telescope)
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

i don’t know what planet that is next to the moon right now, but it’s got rings*, and moons!

🙂

(*maybe, maybe not, my telescope is cheap, it doesn’t focus very well, and it’s all a bit wobbly)

druidh
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ahwiles
    Free Member

ok, it might be a fuzzy looking death star, with a few smaller fuzzy baby death stars all lined up next to it…

(thanks Druidh!)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yip it’s definitely jupiter. If you look roughly 10 degrees east of it and 2 or 3 degrees lower you’ll see uranus also.

Markie
    Free Member

Cool!

I can recommend checking out slacker astronomy if you’re into space but not all that schooled in it, neat podcasts and stuff about near space, and tricky stuff explained in neat ways!

Also, if you have a smart phone, there are great apps that tell you whats in the bit of sky you’re looking at… Amazing!

CountZero

Yes to the moons, lots of them, but Jupiter’s rings are very, very faint. All the gas giants have rings, but Saturn’s are the only properly visible ones. You can see five of Jupiter’s moons with binoculars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5 of Jupiters moons? I have never seen more than the 4 Galilean moons.

Its fantastic when you see this stuff for the first time with your own eyes

kimbers

its jupiter my xmas present is outside cooling down im off out now!!!!!!!
    i saw 4 of the the moons on my first attempt the other night

edit of you have android phone goggle sskys very useful for us
    beginers!

clipper68
    Free Member

Just been out there and had a look through my scope. Got a nice view before the clouds appeared….

Northwind

Google Sky Map is a fantastic little app…

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Aye, Jupiter is cool…

…first clear evening here for a while (yes I live in Manchester…)

Venus low in the south as it got dark, plus the ISS and a very bright Iridium flare.

Nice to find a few more astrogeeks on here 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I don’t know if it was just me but Sirius looked brighter than I’d ever seen it t’other night.

scaredypants

I’ve seen sommatorothers off the shoulder of orion – anyone else ?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Stellarium (pc, mac, android, iPhone) is worth a look too.

muddy@rseguy

What you really want to do if your telescope can do object tracking is plug a webcam into where the eyepiece goes on your telescope, take about 200-300 frames of, say, saturn or jupiter and then use something like Registax to compile the images together….telescope power is more about light gathering than magnification and this basically means that you get seriously good detailed amateur astronomy pics 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘moon / planet! (excited geek with cheap telescope)’ is closed to new replies.