Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Montrose Riding – Recent Immigrant
  • skindog
    Free Member

Hello,

I just moved close to Montrose and I’m looking for good local riding.

Was previously in Aberdeen so have ridden Clachnaben, Fetteresso etc. but never further south.

I’ve a hardtail 29 and a 150mm big bike.

All advice greatfully recieved.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Head for glen esk

arachnidlover
    Free Member

How close to Montrose?

Email me…….. arachnidlover at aol dot com

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Glen Esk is good for getting lost for a day, some good stuff there but can take a while to find. Clachnaben as you say and some other stuff around the cairn o’ mount – Kerloch is good and some DH type trails at Drumtochty castle.

Swanley near stonehaven is also good, a lot of variety in a fairly small place.

Stu661
    Free Member

Buy a road bike.

I moved to Montrose just over a year ago and there is not much good riding on your door step that I have found anyway. There is some stuff over in the woods past the aerodrome that will get you out for an hour.

You must have been to Scolty if not that’s the place to head, Bennachie is just over an hours drive and worth it but you must have done that before a well.

Forfar has some nice but short trails up in the old slate quarry and Coupar Angus has some DH tracks.

If you want good quality riding you need to travel.

skindog
    Free Member

cheers all, i guess the news is what i expected in light of the terain. I think it’s the road bike then for fitness rides and then big days out in the usual places.

Skindog

MS
    Free Member

Loads of stuff around Forfar if you are prepared to travel. Lots of different stuff and can easily make big routes. For big days Glen Esk (Tarfside) or Clova/Prosen have heaps of big routes.

highlandman
    Free Member

All short drives for you, sub 1 hour and away from what you may already know closer to Aberdeen-
    Arbroath cliffs and woods; Ben Tirran & Loch Brandy; Airlie monument ridge ride, Minister’s path & Prosen; Capel up Clova; Glen Isla munro circuits; Sidlaws has a wealth of terrain; Kilbo path; Cat Law; Tarfside loop, plus Keen, Fungle & Firmounth. Woodland circuit at Glamis. Alyth Hill- new mini-dh, jump track and pump track, plus a range of old skool singletrack on the hill.

paladin

Last time I was in Montrose I took the ships bike for a pedal round scurdie ness, down to usan, then back roads to ferryden for a pint in the esk.
    About 16 miles I think, nothing special but great views.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Montrose Riding – Recent Immigrant’ is closed to new replies.