Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Montane Prism Jacket – Any good?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Like the look of this, lots of warmth, without too much bulk.

Anyone on here used one for a while or can recommend an alternative?

Clink

I like mine, but it’s not very warm. Great standby jkt; wind and showerproof, good hood, moderate warmth, packs down well.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I looked at the Prism but bought a Rab Generator jacket instead – more fill and warmer for similar money, still packs down small for a camelback but no hood.

richpips
    Free Member

Fireball smock, lighter and packs smaller.

scotroutes

Fantastic.

I now have two!

Special_ized_Jamie

Never been a fan of smocks,

Rab looks like a good option, anything else out there?

richpips
    Free Member

….Patagonia Nano Puff which comes in a colour for every occasion.

Phatman
    Free Member

Great jacket, used for past 3 years. Serves as my insulating midlayer under a Rab Neo Jacket. Good to -15 when skiing (just about). Comfortable, good cut, wired peak, packs into it’s own pocket for storage at the bottom of your bag for days on the hill. Will get another one when this one dies (if this one dies).

carlphillips
    Free Member

Had mine ages, its my go to jacket. I find mine very warm.

mark90
    Free Member

To paraphrase Nipper….

I looked at the Generator but bought a Prism jacket instead – more robust outer material for less money, still packs down small for a camelback and it has a nice warm hood.

Also seriously looked at the Rab Xenon but again the robustness of the Pertex Quantum fabric was a concern, and besides the Prism fit me better.

I really like my Prism, but it is at the ‘cooler’ end of the insulated jacket warmth spectrum. Which actually means I find it very versatile and it gets loads of use.

For low activity in the really cold months I’d be looking for something a tad warmer (or more layers), maybe 100-130g fill.

jfmc
    Free Member

I have a Prism (in fact I also have the original model which is bulkier and only has a thin hood – the newer version is lighter/smaller and just as warm). It gets used for lots of things, but mostly either as a standing around jacket for work or as a belay jacket when winter climbing. It’s great as an extra layer which will pack down reasonably small, and has survived three seasons of scottish winter climbing with only one small tear, so is pretty robust. I run pretty warm, so wouldn’t ride wearing it but definitely good for sticking on over everything else when stopped.

fatyowls
    Free Member

Had mine for around 5 years now, so yes they are very good depending on how cold it is. Great for keeping you warm when huddled cooking behind a cairn. Montane quality, if you can get hold of a technical’s primaloft jacket can’t recommend them enough packs down too, gave mine to my son he’s growing out of it so will get it back soon :D.

passtherizla
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Fantastic.
    I now have two!

And me.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Like mine a lot, packs down small. Seems quite robust.

hora
    Free Member

What temp can you wear it down to comfortably as a ‘pull out of car/walking about’ jacket?

scotroutes

Depends what you are doing, what else you are wearing and how windy it is. I wear it over a thermo bike jersey a and a base layer when camping and bivvying in sub-zero temperatures. It’s usually the first thing I grab when I stop for the evening and I’ll keep it on until it is pressed into use as a pillow.

mark90
    Free Member

For just ‘walking about’; I’ve been wearing mine over whatever I’m wearing (usually a t-shirt and micro fleece jumper) for the morning and evening plod round to the childminders, down to around freezing it’s fine. Also over just a t-shirt for walking to the pub, bit chilly when I set off if it’s around freezing as it has been lately, but after a couple of mins brisk walk I’m toasty warm.

For proper hill walking over just a base layer works well down to few degrees below, dependng on activity level.

Standing around in sub zero temps I’d be looking for something a little warmer, or adding more layers. That’s the beauty of the Prism it works well as an outer or mid layer.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yes my favourite jacket.

I’ve a Prism and a TNF Redpoint, both are very good but the Montane fit is a bit less ‘american’

I’d suggest the Prism only be used on cold walks under 5 degrees or you will be too warm.

dragon
    Free Member

Haglofs Barrier III is a good jacket. You can choose with or without hood. It’s warmer than my Rab Vapour Rise, although they were bought for different purposes, Rab for active stuff, Haglofs for more static. Hood on the Haglofs is much better than the Rab, although it doesn’t fold away on the Haglofs if that’s important.

househusband

I’ve also got two Prism jackets! One orange one – and one limited edition version they sold directly with half the price going to Mountain Rescue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Montane Prism Jacket – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.