Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Montane or RAB Lightweight Shells
  • gazza100

Anybody have experience of the Montane or RAB range of lightweight shell. Use a Gore-Tex top at present but always boil up, so I’m looking for a pertex or similar type material. Budget is £80 max.

mudpup
    Free Member

Go Outdoors currently have Montane Event jackets in Dk Red on sale at £59 instore. BARGAIN.

Trekster

I have one of these, can be found in the sales atm if you search about a bit. Reckon could be best jacket for your budget, I now have a redundant Endura jackket 🙄montane velocity

epicyclo

I like the RAB VapourRise. With a merino base under it it can handle a wide range of riding conditions.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mudpup, is that an instore only deal as I can’t see it on their website? Which store?

djflexure

Got the following by Montaine:
    Prism – lightly insulated jacket, windproof, quite waterproof folds down small. Really versatile. Wear to work on cold mornings, packs into its own pocket to stow when riding in the hills (for stops or if gets cold).
    Extreme smock – use a single garment when out with the dog or fell walking. Quite waterproof plus breathes well. Change into it at the end of long rides before driving home. Definitely winter wear. Really comfortable but probably not that versatile.
    Featherlite smock – windproof, repels water, folds up to the size of an apple. Bit like a bin liner. Used all summer. Great to carry as so light.
    Event cycling jacket/shell – works fine – carry it on big days out in case of downpour. Used more when I commuted on the bike. Don’t particularly like the Gortex or Event stuff for days out on the bike – non of it breathes that well. Other stuff works better for me as windproof or light waterproof.

Lite-speed meant to be good – packs, breathes, hood etc.

matt_outandabout

Montane is becoming a favourite / staple of our instructors outdoor kit – particularly the insulated jackets and pertex all round things.

druidh
    Free Member

Get the Prism cheap from Montane direct and some of your money goes towards Mountain Rescue.

gazza100

Prism looks a bit heavy for biking in. Was looking at something like the Featherlite Smock or the RAB VapourRise (not keen on the hood though)

djflexure

Prism looks a bit heavy for the biking in.

Yes – meant more for stops.

I use windstopper stuff as a cycling shell; it breathes better. Some have arms that come off so you can get use out of them in warmer months too.

mudpup
    Free Member

The £59 jacket is this one [url=http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_montane-event-venture-jkt_0_0_22995_1.html]Montane Event Venture jacket[/url] and it was instore at Harlow, Essex. They had about 3 of each size hanging on the clearance rail. Seems like no one has cottoned on locally yet cos they were there about 2 weeks ago too. I only noticed because i was in the market for one a few months ago, tried one on and found a Rab was a better fit for me. The Montane is quite slim and unfortunately i am not 😥

jamesb
    Free Member

RAB VapourRise; smock hood om mine can be tucked / rolled away into collar OK, a bit bulky though at collar (7 year old model). Excellent piece of kit, good into spring for cycling etc and a base layer under will put it into use during zero C temp times too

doom_mountain

Montane Featherlite is great – dead light and fairly weather proof.
    Not very tough though, both elbows are duct-taped on mine.
    I heard elbow patches were back in….

Windstopper or Powershield tops are good, water resistant, windproof and they can take a bit of stick.
    +1 for zip-off sleeves – makes a top much more versatile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Montane or RAB Lightweight Shells’ is closed to new replies.