• This topic has 33 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Simon.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Montane Krypton replacement
  • Simon

So, I’ve somehow managed to lose my Montane Krypton jacket. It was my favourite, most versatile and most used jacket, I’d had it a few years and only paid 40 quid for it.
    What is there on the market that’s similar (Pertex outer, brushed wicking lining)?

Simon

Bump for the daytime crowd.

matt_outandabout

I am in exactly the same position – much loved and over used Krypton lost in the last month, somewhere….

Edit: I think it will be a Rab, but they are short on me – body length.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Marmot Driclime?

ElShalimo

Driclime is a good shout but less fitted.
    Buffalo Fell and Teclite are worth looking at too.

morebikes

The Mountain Equipment Ultratherm gets good reviews and fits a bit snugger than the Driclime.
    Outer is probably a bit more weatherproof than the Krypton.
    They can be picked up at a good price if you are a bit smaller or larger than average as well.

aldo56
    Free Member

Rab VR Lite Alpine is excellent.

footflaps

+1 for Rab VapourRise

They have three different thickness’s of VapourRise jacket. I have the standard and the winter one – both excellent.

obelix
    Free Member

Any specific reason you’re not going for another of the same?

Simon

They don’t make it anymore.

Rab VR lite looks good but I’d like hand warmer pockets.
    And all the suggestions are a bit pricey, I’m a stereotypical Yorkshireman – show me some bargains!

Mugboo

Did you lose it last weekend in the lakes? Maybe somebody else took it home by accident?

Simon

No, it came home with me, definitely had it on the Monday but it’s vanished. It’ll probably turn up when I buy another jacket….

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

There’s a Krypton for sale on UKC at the moment…

ElShalimo

I find Rab VR a bit chilly compared to Montane Krypton or Duality. Pertex Equilibrium is not as windproof as Pertex Microlight but it is more breathable. I guess its up to you which is more important

footflaps

I find Rab VR a bit chilly compared to Montane Krypton or Duality

They now have three weights of VR, whereas there used to be just the one (which is quite thin).

Spin
    Free Member

Have they stopped making them? Gutted if they have as they were perfect for all sorts of activities.

matt_outandabout

The Dyno and Krypton are now not made.

Bang goes 80% of the best jackets ever. 🙁

Simon

Looks like the Rock Guide is Montane’s replacement for the Krypton but with a Pertex Microlight Stretch outer.
    Anyone know how windproof Pertex Microlight Stretch is compared to the Pertex Equilibrium used on the Rab VR stuff?

Simon

Went to Go Outdoors yesterday hoping they’d have some jackets to look at.
    Tried on a medium Vapour Rise Lite, body /arm length was OK but the general fit was too loose. Small was too small.
    Also tried a VR Guide but fit was even looser and it was too thick and heavy.
    And having read some reviews I think I’d be disappointed with the windproofing of the Pertex Equilibrium on the VR.
    They didn’t have a Montane Rock Guide or Mountain Equipment Ultratherm on display.
    All the other softshells were single layer material, I’ve tried that sort of thing before and I run too hot for them.

Anyway I’ve done some Googling and I found a medium Krypton at a German shop for £65 so I’ve ordered that.

footflaps

And having read some reviews I think I’d be disappointed with the windproofing of the Pertex Equilibrium on the VR.

I find VR fine for hill walking, but cycling to work, the wind just cuts through it (that’s the summer weight one, not tried commuting in the winter weight version yet).

ElShalimo

Simon, you can get tech details per fabric on the web. Backpacking Light.com is pretty good. Buffalo’s website used to have this data for the Pertex 5&6 fabrics

Simon

I thought there might be some technical data on the Pertex website but I couldn’t find any.
    I’ve got Dyno made from Pertex Equilibrium Eco and it’s noticeably less windproof than my Krypton was.

ElShalimo
    footflaps

That doc seems to give all Pertex variants the same wind resistance….

ElShalimo

from another web trawl
    Equilibrium CFM 5.0 (Air Permeability)
    Quantum CFM 0.1 – Quantum is very similar to Pertex Microlight but I can’t find anything for Microlight stretch though

I think the 3 “weights” of Rab VR are related to the inner material or combinations of materials. Pertex Equilibrium remains the same in all weights as the outer material, the liners tend to vary not equilibrium

Simon

Cheers, what does CFM stand for?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

The Dyno is back in Montane’s range – no sign of the Krypton sadly.

delmarco
    Free Member

I found this page because I too am searching for a replacement for my beloved Krypton. When I first got it years ago I detested it as a new replacement to my Mammut Windstopper Softshells (My 2000-2010 decade was filled with fleeces and Softshells-most notably the Mammut Clime which was a favourite) Since 2009 all the current Mammut Softshells, and Softshells in general, have become extremely pricey for what you often get. Modern day soft shells are just marketing tools that have no real business in the rough outdoors.

After a many years of world wide adventures in wet rainy spring, unpredictable hot summer weather, autumn and ice cold snowy winter backpacking I’ve come to love the Krypton as a hard wearing, getting-it-done, serious piece of kit.

The Krypton’s sheer simplicity, the thing that bugged me the most before I got to know it, is what I love. It wears easy, breathes well, keeps the wind and rain out, and dries in a hour. There are no bells and whistles to the Krypton.

It cost me under $90 USD back in 2010/2011 and I’ve worn it on every outdoor excursion since and it stills wears and looks brand new (ice cold Nikwax detergent washes ONLY). It was a great bargain for what I got which is an all around general use mid weight jacket.

However I cannot believe Montane discontinued it and have since replaced it with an unsavory line of pricey impractical Softshells.

I wrote a letter to Montane this morning pleading with them to re-release the Krypton for the Spring 2017 or Fall 2017 season.
    Hopefully they will do so.

However, what have you guys found to be a decent replacement to the Krypton?

I’ve search the internet end to end and have not found a jacket like it.

I only need these simple practical features.
    – Pertex shell outer or medium-hard shell outer that is water/wind resistant (it doesn’t have to be fancy waterproof Goretex/eVent fabric)
    – thin breathable polartec fleece lining
    – zippered pockets with ventilation mesh
    – a helmet compatible wire-brimmed 3-way cinch hood that allows the jacket to pack inside it.
    – a belay zipper
    – light weight (not having pit zips and a ton of interior/exterior pockets made the Krypton super light weight)
    – slim fitting for the size (not baggy or over sized) to be a mid layer.
    – cost is no biggie but would love it to be priced UNDER $200!

Here is my video review of the Krypton from several years ago:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCK2ohEA6VY[/video]

delmarco
    Free Member

I found this page because I too am searching for a replacement for my beloved Montane Krypton Pertex Jacket.

When I first got it in 2010/2011 I detested it as a replacement to my worn out Mammut Windstopper Softshells (My 2000-2010 decade was filled with fleeces and Softshells most notably the Mammut Clime which was a favourite) Since 2009 all the current Mammut Softshells, and Softshells in general, have become extremely pricey for what you often get. Modern day soft shells are just marketing tools that have no real business in the rough outdoors.

After many years of worldwide adventures thru wet rainy spring, unpredictable hot summer weather, autumn and ice cold snowy winter backpacking I’ve come to love the Krypton as a hard wearing, getting-it-done, serious piece of kit.

The Krypton’s sheer simplicity, the thing that bugged me the most before I got to know it, is what I love. It wears easy, breathes well, keeps the wind and rain out, and dries in a hour. There are no bells and whistles to the Krypton.

It cost me under $90 USD back in 2010/2011 and I’ve worn it on every outdoor excursion since and it stills wears and looks brand new (ice cold Nikwax detergent washes ONLY). It was a great bargain for what I got which is an all around general use mid weight jacket.

However I still cannot believe Montane discontinued this great all-around jacket and have since replaced it with an unsavory line of pricey impractical specialized Softshells (by specialized I mean Montane’s marketing department has figured out how to get consumers to buy 5 of Montane’s jackets each serving only one purpose. If you are going to bike on Saturday you wear jacket A, if you are in the rain on Sunday you wear jacket B, going canoeing Monday wear jacket C, etc….). I feel this is where Softshells have become useless to me.

I wrote a letter to Montane this morning pleading with them to re-release the Krypton for the Spring 2017 or Fall 2017 season.
    Hopefully they will do so.

However, what have you guys found to be a decent replacement to the Krypton?

I’ve searched the internet end to end and have not found a jacket like it.

I only need these simple practical features.
    – Pertex shell outer or medium-hard shell outer that is water/wind resistant (it doesn’t have to be fancy waterproof Goretex/eVent fabric)
    – thin breathable polartec fleece lining
    – zippered pockets with ventilation mesh
    – a helmet compatible wire-brimmed 3-way cinch hood that allows the jacket to pack inside it.
    – a belay zipper
    – light weight (not having pit zips and a ton of interior/exterior pockets made the Krypton super light weight)
    – slim fitting for the size (not baggy or over sized) to be a mid layer.
    – cost is no biggie but would love it to be priced UNDER $200!

Here is my video review of the Krypton from several years ago:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCK2ohEA6VY[/video]

matt_outandabout

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is a Rab Vapour Rise in some form or other.

I picked up a Patagonia softshell as a replacement, cheap in sales, and regret it. It’s going to be replaced as soon as I can.

Spin
    Free Member

I just sent a link for this thread to Montane. We’ll see if they come back with something. I picked one up a bit after they stopped making it so it’s got plenty of life left but I’d stock up if they re-released them.

Spin
    Free Member

The answer is a Rab Vapour Rise in some form or other.

Rab stuff just doesn’t fit me.

benp1

Rab vapour rise alpine lite is excellent

Stretchy soft shells are good too – montane dyno stretch and mountain equipment super chockstone

All 3 here, all different, all good

Simon

Holy thread resurrection!

I’m still using the Krypton I managed to find last year for walking and general outdoor stuff other than riding.
    I’ve also just bought a Rab Vapour Rise Flex to try for biking. Much like the other Rab VR stuff I tried on last year the fit is looser than my Montane clothing. I wore it tonight with a long sleeve synthetic baselayer for a mountain bike ride in temps between 0 and 2 degrees. Started of cold but once I’d pedalled hard up the first hill I was warm enough.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Montane Krypton replacement’ is closed to new replies.