Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Montane featherlite smock
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

How resistant is it to water?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Pretty good but paper thin so quite prone to rips

About as waterproof as blotting paper.

I find it very handy to take on a ride though in case it gets chilly.

Stuffs in the back pocket of a jersey and weighs next to nothing.

gamo
    Free Member

Always found mine pretty good, has kept me dry quite a few times!

cp

It's not bad at all actually, in fact I love mine! Only had it a week, but used twice – once in a light shower for 30 mins or so – no water penetrated, and I found it very breathable [EDIT – though I ewasn't riding particularly hard at the time!]. I went for a featherlight velo from here for 23.95 posted, with bonus free pint-sized mug:-

I'm a nats over 6ft, fairly slim build, 38-40 chest, but it fits a treat, and the back and arms are a perfect length.

Hang on a mo….

ROFL is talking about the lightest of the Montane range.

I've got another one which is Pertex treated but is slightly bigger (Jetstream). That is slightly better, OK in drizzle but not a proper waterproof.

BTW the stormlight e-vent jacket is amazing.

grumm
    Free Member

It's only showerproof – will keep you dry from a quick drizzly shower or maybe persistent light drizzle. If it lashes it down you will get wet pretty quick.

It does enough to keep you warm though, which is all you really need imo. Great bit of kit.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I've got the Montane Featherlite Vélo Jacket and the Montane Stormrider Jacket, just don't wash them in the washing machine, hand wash them in clean water and they are perfect, if a little smelly.

cp

daveatextremistsdotcouk – yep, I'm talking about the featherlight! 30 mins of light drizzle and I didn't get wet on my upper body 🙂

I've got an altura extreme for when things turn nasty, but for a windproof, showerproof jacket I can chuck in my back pocket on the road bike, or stash in mini-camelbak when mtbing or running, it's great!

OK I expect it came with some water repellent treatment when it left the factory.

I always wash mine with Grangers but I never class it as a waterproof.

Still a decent item though.

cp

no, agreed, it's certainly no 'waterproof' but I think it's a cracker, and if you can fit in the medium, that deal through amazon from sports direct is cracking!

SiB
    Free Member

sticks to skin like clingfilm after the 1st mile……but in a cosy way!!? Never quite sure if its the rain coming through or the sweat staying in though – only ever wear it in light rain/wind. All sounds pretty negative but it didnt stop me buying the smock, velo jacket, trousers and gilet all in featherlight as I like it and its so light and small when packed (bargain prices at TK's helped too)

samuri
    Free Member

Mine is ever so slightly showerproof, it's main attribute is blocking the wind, not the water. I have a storm jacket for when things look really bad. I bought a large I think, it's too big for me and so flaps around a lot, especially on the road bike. Get the tightest you think you can get away with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Montane featherlite smock’ is closed to new replies.