Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Monsal Trail – clear?
  • alanl
    Free Member

I said I’d take the OH out to a trail centre this week. Due to snow and ice, we’ve not bothered yet. Today Cannock was reportedly a mudfest, I’d presume Sherwood will be similar.
    So how are things between Bakewell and Buxton?
    I could take her on the Monsal trail for an easy couple of hours, if it is clear of snow.Tomorrow is looking good, 9 degrees and <10% chance of rain.
    Any locals know what its like?
    Thanks
    Alan.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

We rode from Great Longdale yesterday, only a few hours but headed north towards Eyam and back around in a loop.

Snow and ice was present on the tops, lots of runoff water everywhere else. We did stick to the bigger more aromoured trails as it was evident the less well travelled stuff was boggy. Overall very nice day out and all in good winter condition with no horror stories.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Rode from Matlock to Hassop Station today and it varied from compacted slidey snow to slushiness.

I would expect wet and slushy at worst by tomorrow……and loads of dripping in the 6 x tunnels 🙂

jekkyl

I doubt very much if Cannock willing be majorly ‘muddy’ the trails are very well armoured these days so there will just be some puddles. Although not likely that bad as we’ve not had loads of rain recently. I’d take any part of Cannock over the total boringsome of the monsail trail any day. 😀

ianfitz
    Free Member

It’s about 2c just over the hill and forecast to be warmer tomorrow.

This mornings snow has got slushy and diminished quite a bit.

I’d say there’ll still be some tomorrow but likely it’ll be wet rather than ice

alanl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, she’s now said she doesnt mind getting muddy, so Cannock it is.
    I like the Monsal Trail, we usually do it once a year, out of season, as it can get far too busy in the summer. Nice gentle trip out – it makes a change!

jekkyl

Mix it up? Do the dog out to the long blue and back again rather than go over the road to the monkey. Or just explore….. I might be over Cannock myself tomorrow. Forecast looks good.

There’s some reasonable tech not too far off the monsall trail btw.

alanl
    Free Member

And what a great day. Only did the Dog. She enjoyed it until she kept falling off!
    It was a bit muddy, but a sloppy mud, so no real problems.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Monsal Trail – clear?’ is closed to new replies.