Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Monksie: Velodrome to velodrome Big Bike Ride done and dusted!
  • crikey
    Free Member

I’ve had a bad week at work, and my faith in my fellow man had taken a battering, until today.

Monksie rode it all, setting off at 6:10 this morning, doing 223 miles and finishing in Manchester this evening.

He’s not an Olympic athlete, he’s not a celebrity, he’s just a good bloke who had a great idea to raise some money for a deserving charity cause, and he did it with style and grace.

Brilliant.

(He seemed to think that the idea of doing it again next year was something he’d have to think about for a while…)

Jamie
    Free Member

223 miles? Crikey!

Well done that man.

Monksie, FIRE UP THE WHEELIE BINS!

mintimperial

Fantastic, good show that chap!

jameso

Congratulations! That’s a big ride.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

he can do my Edinburgh to Stockport area ride next summer 271 miles in a day 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Fantastic stuff. Been thinking of him today, and followed some progress on Twitter, but thanks crikey for letting us know the lad’s back safe and sound.

It’s a terrific effort Steve – and something to be really, really proud of. I’m chuffed for you.

[EDIT]

…and he did it with style and grace.

Are you sure about that? Wasn’t someone else you saw out riding a bicycle? 😀

crikey
    Free Member

No, with style and grace!

He never complained, he never moaned, he rode as well as anyone could after that distance, and finished with a smile on his face and a kiss from his wife.

He did have a toilet stop near Buxton and i was concerned that if he needed some paper, I only had £20 notes, but he just had a wee…

crikey
    Free Member

…and we seemed to be blessed with careful, considerate and patient drivers from Matlock all the way back to the Velodrome, particularly along the A6, which was nice.

MartynS

genuinely brilliant.

you should feel really chuffed Steve.

good job

Trampus
    Free Member

Fantastic! Well done, Monksie. I believe the weather down that there London way was pretty atrocious,too. Chapeau!

lipseal
    Free Member

monksie
    Free Member

Cheers Crikey! What a day. I’d have packed it in if it hadn’t been for meeting you guys for the second half. Christ, I was getting on my own nerves!
    A little late getting to Luton, a good pace to Leicester and then meeting Jon and a monster tempo with me wheel sucking all the way to Matlock and I went with a pop! That hideous climb up Taddington Moor was nearly the end of me.
    Now then……early summer 2013….end to end, 4 days?
    ps, If I’d known it was going to be £20 notes….

crikey
    Free Member

I’m in. Need plenty of notice for dates so I can get my hair done, but I’d be keen to be a part of that.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Well done Steve – hope you’ve slept for most of today! I’m impressed at the “style and grace” too – top stuff! 🙂 Chapeau old chap.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks Duncan. The early fast pace was counter productive. An hour in front at Derby. 45 minutes behind at Manchester. I was OK until I got to the slightest incline.
    I’n so grateful that the lads were there to help me finish it.
    I am style and grace personified, I am although when Crikey was discussing the next challenge I nearly went native 🙂

Bunnyhop

Hooray, well done my old friend, well done indeed 😀

monksie
    Free Member

Waited an hour for you Bunny, outside Bicycle Smithy, what happened?
    Speaking of which, funniest part of the day was watching Jon dropping like a stone down Long Hill ‘cos he was going to be late for a party and then he was stood outside Soldier Dick in Furness Vale supping a pint like butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Monksie having a wee.

crikey
    Free Member

Post wee.

crikey
    Free Member

Wagons rollin’

monksie
    Free Member

hahaha! Mate! The sentiment was thanks for being here, the actual words that came out began with an F (I think you can guess) 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

🙂

I’m still well impressed, it’s a long, long way. The farthest I’ve ever ridden is 150 miles with a local touring club, and that involved breakfast, dinner and tea!

Flash
    Free Member

Brilliant Monksie, well done!

Sorry I couldn’t ride with you.

monksie
    Free Member

Thank fu- the heavens it’s all over!

DSC_0011 by nichola.davidson, on Flickr

ps. the camera really does make things look wider. doesn’t it? It’s not kind to us sprinters 🙂

Thanks Adam. I wouldn’t recommend it…fancy the end to end next year?

woody2000

Good effort monksie, well done sir!! 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you woody.
    Prize draw at some point this morning.
    The tension is building….possibly.

IHN

Just goes to show, even the lower classes can achieve anything if they set their mind to it 🙂

Well done sunshine, well done.

monksie
    Free Member

Draw has been drawn. Winning numbers will be announced after my dinner (or if you’re posh and Poynton’ish like Nettles – lunch dahling).
    New challenge has also been conceived. Also to be announced. All daft enough are invited.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Monksie: Velodrome to velodrome Big Bike Ride done and dusted!’ is closed to new replies.