• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ski.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monkey Tree Dilema
  • RagTi
    Free Member

Hi All,

Life or death here!…

I have always loved monkey trees, probably because there was a huge one in a very posh garden next to my junior school. We have just re-landscaped our garden and I said to the wife I want to plant a monkey tree in it, lets go to Riggs on Saturday and buy one.

She replied “OMG how 1980s!, no way”

So, are monkey trees out of fashion and so 1980s?.

Like I said, life or death dilemma

Cheers

funkmasterp

Monkey + Tree, what’s not to like? Trees are trees, you don’t see Woodland getting cut down every three years because fashions change.

sbob
    Free Member

New tree, new patio, what’s the problem?
    I’ll be over with the beers as soon as the BBQ is lit.

RagTi
    Free Member

Exactly, if they are retro I could always buy an old Klein and lean it against it!!!!

slackalice
    Free Member

Monkey Tree – yes

Leylandii – no

Sorted

bruneep

Just tell her that you have listened to her and will get a Chilean pine instead.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Don’t really like them myself… so can see her point of view (how about a nice native tree instead 😉 )

But if you do go get one just a couple of things to think about…
    They get BIG, so make sure you’ve got plenty of room.
    They are easily killed by cold wet winters while they are young – so might need some protection.
    They are relatively expensive to get one big enough, if you get one under 3 ft then it will do better in a pot for the first couple of years.
    Good luck!

RagTi
    Free Member

Cheers all,will try the Chilean pine route !

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you don’t succeed, maybe a Wollemi Pine would have the right social cachet?

CountZero

Monkey Puzzle trees are lovely, there used to be a really big one in the front garden of a house that was part of a local park, it was big when I was a wee lad, so must be all of 100 years old, so not exactly an ’80’s thing’
    Go for it: http://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/evergreen-trees-conifers-c26/araucaria-araucana-tree-p374
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_araucana

Araucaria araucana (commonly called the monkey puzzle tree, monkey tail tree, Chilean pine, or pehuén) is an evergreen tree growing to 40 metres (130 ft) tall with a 2 metres (7 ft) trunk diameter. The tree is native to central and southern Chile and western Argentina.[1] Araucaria araucana is the hardiest species in the conifer genus Araucaria. Because of the great age of this species it is sometimes described as a living fossil.

ski
    Free Member

They need well drained soil they don’t like getting wet feet much 😉

We have some huge ones in the park I work in, which look amazing but not sure I would want one in my garden?

What about a family apple tree on a dwarf root instead?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monkey Tree Dilema’ is closed to new replies.