Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Monkey Trail Litter
  • weeble
    Free Member

Been round the Monkey Trail today, not been for a while very disappointed to see loads of gel and energy bar wrappers lying around. We stopped and picked some up but come on, if you can take it with you you can bring it back and it won’t affect your strava times

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh the serious racers are far too important to pick up their own litter. It’s been pointed out on here a number of times.

rOcKeTdOg

surely they must have done 10 laps to actually need energy bars/gels on the monkey?

it’s a sad state of affairs that riders litter the trails with energy products & on such a short trails surely by the time the “energy” kicks in they are back at the car park

emac65
    Free Member

surely they must have done 10 laps to actually need energy bars/gels on the monkey?

#

Some of us don’t just ride the MT/FTD trails,over 40 miles today…..But I do take my litter home with me….. 8)

tacopowell
    Free Member

Hear Hear!!!

zbonty

Trail litter pisses me right off. We stopped last week to collect some gel/haribo wrappers in the local woods. Also kicked a few dog eggs into the bushes near the car park, but thats a whole other thread.

belugabob
    Free Member

Coincidentally, my wife just collected a whole bag of litter from the parking area for our street. Considering that she also cleared it last week, that’s pretty disgusting.

Some people are just lazy, untidy and inconsiderate. 👿

rOcKeTdOg

Some of us don’t just ride the MT/FTD trails,over 40 miles today…..But I do take my litter home with me..

do you have an altar us mortals can kneel at? 😉

emac65
    Free Member

do you have an altar us mortals can kneel at?

Make your mind up cupcake – one minute you’re a pro rider who doesn’t need to eat,drink or even pedal on a lap of “such short trails” & the next you want to drop to your knees for me…….
    Which really aint my bag,but I’m sure there are places you can find on the internet for such behaviour…

rOcKeTdOg

emac65 – Member

do you have an altar us mortals can kneel at?

Make your mind up cupcake – one minute you’re a pro rider who doesn’t need to eat,drink or even pedal on a lap of “such short trails” & the next you want to drop to your knees for me…….
    Which really aint my bag,but I’m sure there are places you can find on the internet for such behaviour…

suggest you read my post, no one mentioned being a pro rider, I’m not the one waving 40 miles about on the thread

happy to read it to you for a cupcake though

please also research “smiley” emoticons before considering a reply

wordnumb
    Free Member

Trail litter pisses me right off.

Amen.

In fact any littering pisses me off, but you have to especially pointless to want to ride in a natural environment and at the same time spoil that environment.

emac65
    Free Member

suggest you read my post, no one mentioned being a pro rider, I’m not the one waving 40 miles about on the thread

happy to read it to you for a cupcake though

please also research “smiley” emoticons before considering a reply

Some people 🙄

xterramac
    Free Member

I’m with you guys, I hate trail trash!!!

A great campaign run by Surfers Against Sewage, is Return To Offender!

You can easily follow the principal and take it to the trail as I’m sure there is room in your pockets or pack to carry out trash.

details below

We are encouraging all our supporters to take action to become an active part of SAS’s award-winning anti beach litter campaign Return To Offender. The campaign has sent over 2000 items of identifiable marine litter found on UK beaches back to the manufacturers, challenging them to:

Step up the anti-littering message on your products.

Look at using less harmful packaging to ensure products can be broken down naturally without putting wildlife at risk.

Promote recycling and/or reuse wherever appropriate.

Support community beach litter initiatives or anti-litter projects.

Since launching in 2006 the Return To Offender campaign has gone from strength to strength, along the way winning the Coast award for Best Blue Green Campaign in 2009. More recently Haribo have responded directly to the RTO campaign challenges, increasing their anti-litter messaging on packaging by replacing the universal Litter Man icon with a far larger anti-littering icon more appropriate for their customers.

With your help this campaign can continue to make a real difference to what we find on our beaches, you’re not only an environmentalist, you’re a consumer, and so these big companies will listen to what you have to say.

SAS’s dirty dozen

Below are the worst offenders, those companies whose products we are finding the most on our precious beaches. However, our focus from 2013 will be on companies such as Pepsico UK and Bookers Ltd who have refused to take this issue seriously so far.

Coca-Cola • Pepsico • Glaxosmithkline/Lucozade • Kraft • Nestlé • Tesco • Mars • United Biscuits • Carlsberg • Unilever • Booker • In Bev/Anhesuer Busch

Cheers Mac

pk13

Follow the dog is littered with gel wrappers too. and one of the fire road sections had about 30 little bags of dog poo dumped on it . All the bags where different colours so I’m guessing it’s more than one person . If you can’t be arsed to put your dog’s crap in the bin I would rather you leave to decompose.

MrNice
    Free Member

i’d guess it’s not the same people dropping gel wrappers that are abandoning bags of dog poo (assuming it’s dog poo) but I agree it’s all grim. why they can’t just let their dog poo in the bushes then leave it there along with all the fox, deer, squirrel, badger etc crap is beyond me

ajantom

I visited Cannock once with a mate and he parked us up in the carpark near the railway line. Before we left I spent 20 minutes filling a bin bag with empty cans, chocolate wrappers and crisp packets. You’re a filthy bunch in the Midlands 😛

mindmap3
    Free Member

It winds me up too. If you can bring it with you, you can take the wrapper with you….it’ll be lighter too!

I was in Swinnertons the other week and a chap mentioned the lack of bibs around and asked what to do with his litter? FFS. Are people really that thick? If you have stuff in a bag and there is no where to put the waste, out it back in your damn bag where it came from.

satchm00
    Free Member

Wonder if there had been a race on. I went about six weeks ago. Didn’t notice much.

Then again weather has been good and clocks changed, guess the fair weather litter droppers are back out!

I thought Glentress was pretty bad towards the skills areas. Full of kids and empty cans… thats my victor meldrew moan done for the day!

neilm
    Free Member

I rode HONC a couple of weeks ago and noticed a few gel wrappers along the route. There was only one place they came from, and as the whole route was on roads, bridleways and private land (with the owners permission), it doesn’t take a degree in waste management for members of the general public to figure out who left them behind.

There were plenty of bins at the start / finish and at the half way point, that’s were I got rid of my rubbish.

mulv1976
    Free Member

FFS. Are people really that thick?

Yes. Apparently they don’t have bins on the chase as idiots like to set fire to them. People seem to use this as some sort of excuse to drop their rubbish all over the place. Don’t get me started on the fly tippers.

Unfortunately there are always going to be scrotes and scumbags who do this – it’s just a pity I have to share the chase with them.

nikk
    Free Member

Some people also think it’s funny to throw punctured inner tubes up trees.

Here is a picture of such a person.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-a-tosser-1

One of pussywillows mates apparently.

matther01
    Free Member

Came back with half a pack of litter this morning. A fair few gel wrappers, but a lot of plastic water bottles, cans and sweetie wrappers. Upper cliff was pretty bad at the look out point. Loads along the trails…but actually wanted to ride and not stop every few mins (although was tempted).

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

It’s runners as well………….we had a marathon come through the village the other week……..gel wrappers all over the place 🙁

xterramac
    Free Member

Had a nice day riding at Cwmcarn on sunday, only down side was the amount of trash left by riders on the trails, mainly the new trail. 5 gel wrappers and 2 small plastic water bottles (buxton type) collected. If I found room to carry it out then I’m sure who ever ate and drank the contents could have……. Should there be more bins at the trails or is that just giving in?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Should there be more bins at the trails or is that just giving in?

No. Take your rubbish home. I had a stroll with the family yesterday and was gob-smacked by how much litter was knocking around.

Playing Devil’s advocate, I have followed a good mate on a ride once – one I know hates littering as much as I do – and he dropped a gel wrapper. He thought he’d got it in his jersey pocket but missed. He did pick it up, but it makes me think – hope – that most of those wrappers were not thrown on the ground deliberately.

xterramac
    Free Member

Yeah I hear ya, It gets me that, thrown on the ground or not, how many people choose to ride past with a “not my problem, it wasn’t me so f##k it attitude…” If people are not part of the solution then in my eyes for this, they are part of the problem. 👿

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Where do you stop though? Yesterday I stopped when I realised there was too much (of other people’s) rubbish to physically fit in my rucsac to carry out. I don’t mind taking the odd bit of rubbish home with me since I like to think (hope) it was dropped accidentally. I begrudge carrying out the litter left by the scrotes who are too lazy and have no respect for their environment.

xterramac
    Free Member

I know what you mean, if you let it get to you, you almost feel like a part time litter picker!!!! I take a healthy interest in doing my bit, for example I don’t stop at laybys to pick up mattresses and take them to the dump but always do grab 3 peace’s minimum when I visit the beach and whatever I can fit in my pack when mtb’ing or hiking.

Northwind

It is crap. Something that really annoyed me a while back, bumped into andy wardman the head glentress ranger out collecting litter on spooky woods climb- massively skilled trailbuilder having to waste his days cleaning up after arseholes, if he wasn’t doing that he’d be making plans or getting approvals or just getting stuck in and improving the trails.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Monkey Trail Litter’ is closed to new replies.