Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mongoose Nugget?
  • Swiftacular
    Free Member

Been offered one of these at a very good price, and although i am having a test ride sunday night, wondered if anyone had any (informed) opinions?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Looks like the freedrive/I-drive suspension system like other Mongoose and GT bikes. I'm interested in your impressions of how supple it feels when bombing downhill and standing on the pedals.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Theyre my interests too, lol.

bintangman
    Free Member

its a great bike – I've had one for 3 years. I was wary about the number of pivots but by and large they've been fine. The kit was great then and it still is.

however I've since got an Orange 5 (I toyed with a 5 when buying the Mongoose) and wished I'd bought one years ago! It blows the mongoose out the water going downhill! Still,a good bike though – it did seduce me at the time with £200 off and great shiney kit…

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Well this one will be about £800….

bintangman
    Free Member

…which is a proper bargain. Well worth it.

brakes
    Free Member

I would encourage you to have a proper long test ride
    I've got a Black Diamond and as buzz says above, the suspension works best when you're sat down (!) so when you're bombing through rough stuff stood up, you'll feel VERY connected to the terrain

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ok, here's an update. Did a couple of hour stint on it, and heres my opinion.

Taking it as a full bike, here's the good points :
    Great spec for the money (even at full price).
    Loved the tyres.
    Forks were very good (but a little undersprung for me)

Bad Points:

Very heavy for the travel
    When stood up (most technical descents and climbs) the suspension stroke feels very short, and in both instances your losing out to a hardtail.
    Bike was very short (sm/med), more so than any small (16") ht ive tried, and when pedalling out of the saddle, constantly hit my right knee on the shifter.

Indifferent.

When sat, there obviously was a better suspension feel, but felt a little wallowy when pedalling, not massively (only 4" travel i suppose), but strange feel. (to put this in context, my previous two FS bikes were a Reign, and a Blur Classic, and these both pedalled better in my opinion, although both fitted me better)

Not buying it, but a mate of mine is. I think as a first FS (he took it to CwmCarn weekend before last), and only occasional biker, he only sees it in isolation, but its not for me.

(All in my opinion obviousy)

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have a Mongoose Canaan Elite which is 8 months old but only been ridden a handful of times and proberly done less than 250 miles ! , while the bike is an absolute joy to ride , the suspension action is first class as long as your seated !! .. not very active while standing though … but i can put up with that
    BUT today on a little trip up to long mynd , while climbing it was creaking and groaning like an old lady , got to the top by the trig point and had a quick look at things only to find a nice crack appearing around the seatube gusset !!
    so it looks like this will be going back for replacment .. other than this .. they are a nice bike to ride

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mongoose Nugget?’ is closed to new replies.