Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Money Trail, Follow the Dog
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Thinking of having a look at these two tomorrow. What's a ball park time to do the two?

I've seen some old treads that talk about it being hidden. Is this out of date info, has it now gone public? Does is start from the bike shop like FTD or is it elsewhere? Any help much appreciated as we're on a clock tomorrow and don't want to waste time being lost.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

The monkey trail basically starts at a point somewhere along Follow the dog and loops back round to rejoin it.

Not sure on time, but I think the chase trails website will give you a distance for the two.

Castrol
    Free Member

Onzadog,

Just reading about this on the Chase Trails website. The new Monkey Trail is an extention from Follow the Dog, so yes start at the shop and look for the signs I think. Heading up there myself tomorrow, planning to be there at around 8.00am. I'm expecting it to take around 3 hours but expect you can do it quicker, in no rush though.

Regards,
    Matt.

z1ppy

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/xc.php
    Signs are fine, no reason you'd get lost.
    Not timed it, but then I don't rush anyways, but one m8 said the can do it comfortably in 2hrs (no stopping). Supposed to be sizzler tomorrow though, so why rush?

_tom_
    Free Member

On a good day I think it takes me about 2.5 hours but always improving as my fitness is slowly getting there. On a hot day it took me at least 3 hours, stopping all the time for breathers and drink.

As for how to get there, it's easy. You just follow the normal dog route and eventually you'll get to a forked junction where you can either turn right for FTD or left for the monkey. From then you just follow the red markers. Make sure you cross the road/railway at the bottom of the first switchback descent of the monkey otherwise you're missing out a huge portion and the two best descents of the trail.

Crankmasher
    Free Member

Castrol ill be there in the morning about 8am to try the whole track. Ive only rode the dog once but not the monkey trail bit.

BigJohn

I did the full Monkey and Dog a couple of weeks ago. The whole loop took 2hr 11min ncluding trying to find a bit of shade to stand under at the top of climbs. The Monkey section alone (from level crossing to level crossing was 1hr 12.

And I'm old and fat and did it singlespeed.

LHS
    Free Member

Been this afternoon for a nice quiet lap. Monkey + Dog combined is 15 miles, comfortable under 2hrs.

Potter
    Free Member

make sure you turn right straight after the road crossing ive seen loads of people go straight on

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Don't want to blat around but my driver has a "date" so we just wanted to work out the timings. Sounds like 3 hr ride time should do the trick.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Only go when its quiet, but normally takes around 1hr 30mins
    The only problem is that the cafe is shut when I go, so no cake after the ride 😉

nbt

Aye, q15 miles for the pair, 3 hours at a sociable pace is easy enough

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Remember money for the car park! 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Should only take approx 2hrs, at the moment the trails are very dry and dusty and breaking away at edges, seriously needs some rain at cannock!!

Castrol
    Free Member

Crankmasher, done the Dog numerous times but this is my first time on the Monkey Trail. If you see a white VW T4 with a Trek Fuel on the back feel free to pop over to say hello. Regards, Matt

tazzymtb

just park at marquis drive and ride in for free, you can than nip over and play in the other bits of the chase as well 😀

timdrayton
    Free Member

i went on wednesday, couldnt belive the brake pits/ trail degredation….

its stil great though, just more bumpy, bring on the rain

2.5 hours and i am flabby and lacking in gears!

_tom_
    Free Member

just park at marquis drive

Is the car park at the visitor centre thing down marquis drive free or do you just mean park down that road somewhere?

edit – oh and how do you SS'ers manage to get up the climbs (especially the big fire road ones)? I struggle with gears 😆

timdrayton
    Free Member

_tom_ been meaning to ask, you anywhere near northampton and fancy a carshare to cannock?

tazzymtb

you can park for free all over the chase, but a good one for the dog and monkey is to park on marquis drive or at the carpark opposite the bible/church/godbotherers building and ride in to the top of follow the dog by the old chainslapper section. when you finish the monkey and some back over the railway just blast up the little slope and you are back at the car.

_tom_ you are welcome to come for a ride an witness my 1 gear mincercore stylee anytime

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I'm pretty close, live in Loddington near Kettering at the minute. Having a break from cannock for a few weeks as its all I've really been riding recently apart from one quick go at woburn and chicksands last week 😆

Crankmasher
    Free Member

Did the monkey trail today and made the mistake of going straight on instead of right after the railway crossing/ road doh! Back again tommorrow to do it properly. Sorry castrol didnt get there til late as the mrs kept me up late.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When and did them both today. You can see the hard work that's gone into them and it's a shame to see how bad technique is ripping them up. I know it's not had enough rain but people are really not helping it. Really does make me feel like I should get out there for a trail building day.

Oh year, that Cliff View Stones section, I'll be back with the bouncy bike and flat pedals! The hardtail really wasn't up to it (well maybe with a better pilot it would be). Just couldn't get around the lead into them and set myself up properly.

Seems going straight up after crossing the road is common. We bumped into a couple of guys who did exactly that.

Crankmasher
    Free Member

I saw a lady doing the monkey trail today on a racer with slightly fatter tyres fair play lol

maxray
    Free Member

You could do it on a cross bike. The switch backs might be tough mind.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Money Trail, Follow the Dog’ is closed to new replies.