Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • money stolen from paypal again……
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

in the summer i had my skype account hacked and they bought £80 worth of credit (most of which i got back). I changed the passwords on everything i could possibly think of and though that would solve the problem

I’ve now had an account created with aeriagames.com and $50 worth of vouchers bought through paypal on my credit card. I have cancelled my credit card and once again changed my paypal and email password.

I have AVG internet security on my PC and have never used the accounts hacked on any other PC, just scanned machine and found a trojan which it has deleted but i’m not 100% sure that this is what was presumably providing keylogs for someone, i’ve had no firewall warnings or malware indications from AVG.

I used a ‘ahem’ borrowed version of symantec corporate for years and have never had a problem. is AVG all it’s cracked up to be, i’m a bit pissed off that i’ve actually paid for an antivirus and it’s clearly failed.

Is there anything else i should do

I have the address and phone number of aeriagames.com so nukes are standing by in space, i’m not sure i can wee as far as california but there shoes had better watch out.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – after 2 incidents like that, I’d be formatting the drive & starting again

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thing is it’s a new laptop, i’m pretty sure i’d never been online with this machine when my skype was hacked.

looking at it, the email account that they have used to create the account was the only thing that still shared a password with skype, paypal however used a new password

MrNutt
    Free Member

what kind of sites are you visiting? do you often click things that say “scan my PC for free online now”?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

never, i’m not that foolish

toys19
    Free Member

you dont have to be that foolish, loads of us got a trojan off here last week.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

AVG picked that one up, assuming you mean that link that was dodgy

Cougar

Malwarebytes for a start off.

AVG used to be the best, but it’s got progressively worse from version 8 onwards. I run MSE these days and haven’t looked back.

kimbers

download malwarebytes
    and superantispywear
    (free) update and scan with both
    bet they find loads of stuff the mse and avg will miss

worrying thing is they will both find different things

seems 3 sets of antispywear isnt enough these days?!

robholland
    Free Member

I had that happen to me 3 times and one time they took about £500 out and made me go overdrawn. Was some American firm taking the money out but paypal refunded it. No idea what happend but even after changing password it happened again and no virus or spyware found. I changed password to more complicated one and its been ok so far.

j_me
    Free Member

Are you choosing sensibly strong passwords?

Nothing that’s in a dictionary, mix case, numbers and digits with a few characters in for good measure.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

currently scanning with the above, the trojans that AVG found were on the contents i ripped off an external drive onto the new machine so could have been on old machine too.

left message with aeria games

nukes still on standby

passwords are a brand name and a series of numbers, come up as strong security on the indications you tend to get nowadays

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

looking at firewall log, it’s blocking a lot of outgoing requests from an SVCHOST process to ip 239.255.255.0

is this normal? there’s a log of a block ever few seconds at least

Cougar

That address is a multicast address, not a ‘regular’ public IP. I don’t think this is likely to be nefarious – possibly something like uPnP being shouty. I reckon you can ignore it.

Cougar

A bit of Googling would suggest this is SSDP. The only thing I can think of that uses SSDP in anger is the gateway discovery part of Windows Messenger. You can savely uninstall this (under “Windows Components” in Add/Remove Programs) – it’s wholly unrelated to MSN / Live Messenger. Give it a go, see if your logs quieten down.

Cougar

Ah, could also be media sharing – do you use something like TVersity / TwonkyMedia perhaps?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no media sharing, not knowingly anyway although no doubt windows 7 defaults to some kind of sharing

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

malwarebytes picked up nowt

druidh
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

I used a ‘ahem’ borrowed version of symantec corporate for years and have never had a problem.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ha, i’ve even paid for office this time, that’s karma enough

anyway, Web 2.0 and all that, the big corporates will subsidise the open source developers providing software without support for lower users.

it’s the future

Drac

I’d say it’s your password brand name and a few digits isn’t exactly strong. You need to avoid common words and names.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s not a common brand name, unless you are a mountain biker 😕

changed now by the way 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘money stolen from paypal again……’ is closed to new replies.