• This topic has 54 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Money no object…Best rear light!
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Ok, so we talk about rear lights every few weeks, and I’m sorry for bringing them up again but…… here we go.

The weather has be cr@p this last week, wet, misty ,murky, horrible. Also my Smart R2 has packed in (well not quite true, it won’t actually turn off) but I’m in need of a new one or two. So……..whats the absolute best/brightest/what the hell is that? rear light you would recommend. Santa is coming so my budget is larger than normal!

pacef8
    Free Member

Get the hope district that someone on here is selling for 80 quid. You will not get anything better.

audiophile
    Free Member

Do you need a rechargeable or one that can run on AA’s AAA’s?

andy8442
    Free Member

Now we’re talking. I like the look of that.

steelfan
    Free Member

One of these maybe Niteflux Redzone 8

andy8442
    Free Member

Not bothered about batts or recharge. Got lots of both…sort of.

scaredypants

yeah !

get one so bright that drivers can’t actually look at you or judge where you are even if they do

lumens, strobes – wooohoooo !

andy8442
    Free Member

I love this forum! So quick on the responses.

phil40
    Free Member

Four4th scorpion.

I have been stopped by drivers asking me what it is because they want one for their own bikes!

Three types of flashing, two brightness levels, rechargeable and has a really clever under saddle mount.

it was about £80 but worth every penny, and it is made locally to me, Farnborough!

i have no connection to four4th etc, i just think they make bloody good lights!

audiophile
    Free Member

I got a Toppeak Redlite Mega as I wanted one to run off AAA’s as I do multi-day rides. Not really a money no object option but plenty bright enough. Noticed that cars give me a wider berth than with my old one.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Do any of these fantastic lights have a setting that makes them suitable for cycling in a group or does the poor cyclist behind just have to suffer?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Exposure Redeye here. Ridiculously bright, but needs something up front to plug it into.

DezB
    Free Member

Brightness-wise, can’t see the point of having anything brighter than the See.Sense. If it had better mounting options, it would be perfect!

allthepies
    Free Member

The Four4th scorpion mentioned above does.

http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

Three modes (TT: LONE RIDING:GROUP RIDING )

molgrips
    Free Member

Cateye fusion x

monkeyp

Niteflux again. Bright but not focussed. I have the Redzone 4 which is plenty bright even in daylight.

project
    Free Member

Reflectives and a hi viz vest aslo help you being seen 360 degrees.

iain65
    Free Member

Definite vote for a Hope district, for one the name’s great for a red light!

For another, was on the main road in thick fog this morning with mine and actually felt safe with the 110 lumens burning someone’s retina’s! It cost £94 from CRC with a voucher, Ribble also have them at a decent price.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lupine Rotlicht – £79.99
    160 Lumens

Jason
    Free Member

Four4th Scorpion gets my vote too. Hides away under the saddle, lots of modes, bright enough to use in day time and the battery lasts for ages.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I will probably get flamed for this but here goes anyway . The lights mentioned are too bright and will dazzle and antagonise car drivers thereby making you less safe not more so.

cp

I entirely agree, I really don’t see the point. Like cars driving on the motorway last night with not much in the way of fog, but dazzling following drivers with their fog lights.

solarider
    Free Member

DiNotte 300r here. Well made, very bright, good run time and rechargeable.

Agree you don’t need or want something too bright on the back. It will dazzle fellow riders. The DiNotte can be turned down when travelling in company, but made brighter when you are riding solo in pitch black.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I entirely agree, I really don’t see the point. Like cars driving on the motorway last night with not much in the way of fog, but dazzling following drivers with their fog lights.

im cyclist – i have naff all chance if a car hits me from behind,

im also a car driver, if i see a bright red light, i don’t drive into it!!

when I’m in the car, and i see someone without a rear light, or a very dim one, I’m in the car shouting get a **** light,

when I’m on the bike, with my bright as **** rear light, I’m shouting when people get too close, because they clearly are not paying attention,

mtbel
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re at far more risk from your own blood pressure mate.

If a bike light won’t switch off its more often than not because moisture has gotten past the seal. Simply pop the front off and leave somewhere warm until thoroughly dried out then try it again.

Dim lights are pretty much a thing of the past these days now that we use LEDs instead of bulbs but if the batteries need changing often they can appear bright enough as you set off only to dim a short time later.
    My advice would be to use more than one rear light.
    The little rubber enclosed band on LEDs are as cheap as 2quid each with batteries and personally I’d rather have 2 or 3 of these fitted than one fancy pants 90quid rear light. This way you can make sure you have lights that can be seen from different positions and also that the least one is a constant light nd easier to judge distance to.

I agree with the theory that lights can be too bright and dazzling to other road users.

jameso

Do any of these fantastic lights have a setting that makes them suitable for cycling in a group or does the poor cyclist behind just have to suffer?

The lights mentioned are too bright and will dazzle and antagonise car drivers thereby making you less safe not more so.

For these reasons I got a German-legal rear light for the bike I do most night-miles on – Sigma Mono

Really good light. USB charge from laptop or dynamo. On/off, no flash, good side/angle visibility and a lumiring-type refracted rather than a point-source LED. If you want a good rear light for out-of-town use get a German-legal one.

I think we should use whatever makes us feel safer, but the power-up and strobe-it method has limited use and even as a cyclist some of them annoy the sh out of me as they head towards you blasting away.
    My experience on dark roads (city use is different) with riders using 1-watt+ point source rear LEDs is that it’s harder to judge distance. They can dazzle as well and that’s genuinely dangerous. I feel a lot safer and get a lot more room from cars when riding at night, partly better visibility of me, partly less traffic on the roads. I do 100 milers in the dark a number of times a year and have tried a few different lighting set ups. The right lights and reflective details make you easy to spot as well as easy to judge distance to.

medoramas
    Free Member

There is a guy I sometimes see on my commute. He has Exposure RedEye and I must say – that light is awesome. In early morning day light it is very visible from loooong distance.

I use Lezyne Zecto, which I think is good, but that RedEye is just AWESOME.

Northwind

I don’t think there’s many lights that are better than 2 decent lights tbh. I’ve got a totally unlit b-road commute so I’ve got a cateye grenade thing, 2 smart R2s and 2 of those chili ones- which aren’t very bright at all, but big. I can be seen from space.

Some of the very bright ones miss the point IMO, they can be glaring… (though, nobody can fail to know you’re there if you’re blinding them, it’s not ideal) But I’ve seen some (don’t know the brand) that do a great job of lighting up your surroundings without being blinding to people behind- all about surface area, if you can throw a red light onto the road, the kerbs, the hedge etc then you’re easier to see

lemonysam
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s many lights that are better than 2 decent lights tbh

Completely agree – 2 decent lights also have the massive advantages that if one fails you have a second and if for some reason one gets obscured, you’re still visible. For the price of some of the lights above you could have 5 decent lights, or 4 really really good ones, and be lit up like a christmas tree.

lowey

I use the Exposure TraceR. Usb rechargeable and can be seen from miles away.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not money no object, but IMO the best combination.

Magicshine MJ-818 rear light, works off the same 8.4V batteries as most front lights. Can’t be angled, but it bright enough to be visible from behind and iluminates the rear wheel and the road behind the bike so it’s really visible, especialy in rain or fog, you could always sugru a wedge to angle it horisontaly if you wanted to blind drivers!

Combine that with a £2.99 silicone LED light from decathlon or any bike shop, mine fits perfectly in the rearmost vent on my helmet pointing back. I think it makes a huge difference to how visible cyclits are in traffic, and makes it obvious when they’re looking to turn as even in the pitch dark you can see their head moving. That and it humanises you rather than looking at a bike the drivers looking at the person on it, certainly feels like I get more space when overtaken and less road rage aimed at me.

I’m not a fan of lights on backpacks, they never seem to be pointing the right way, always covered in crud etc.

allthegear
    Free Member

“Money no object” best rear light? Surely that would be the one on the fancy VW T5 that your driver picks you up in for each and every boring road section?

cloudnine
    Free Member

The Chili lights northwind mentions have great all round vis but needs to be dark for them to be really effective… Think they are still bogof on their website.
    I have a smart light on blink and a Chili light on my helmet, another Chili on the bike, a really bright Blackburn Mars light on my seat post. Was also thinking about some bar plug lights.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m pretty happy with my Exposure Flare for commuting, but I’m looking for something that’s a LOT punchier for proper road riding, when I seem to keep getting caught in thick fog on the moors (or if there’s an inversion, as per last week when dropping down into Hathersage and visibility was about 10m. Even yesterday – beautiful day at home, but the top of the Snake was minging.

Exposure Blaze is my current favourite option.

molgrips
    Free Member

In early morning day light it is very visible from loooong distance.

That’s not really what you need though. You need it to be visible from lots of angles.

The Cateye one I mentioned is visible almost 360 degrees. It’s amazing.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I brought a See-Sense in the original Kickstarter phase and I`ve just had it upgraded with the Higher capacity battery and full 120+ lumen output.
    Its great, and you can change the setting for group riding too (Although I usually have another small light or two on the helmet so if riding in a group I switch off the see sense unless I`m riding at the back)

lunge

Whatever you get, get 2 or 3. I can’t answer your question directly as money is always an object in my purchases but I can tell you what works for me:

Moon Comet – On flashing at the bottom on my seatpost. Angled slightly towards the road, very bright and good side visibility as well.
    Cateye TL-LD600 – On Constant and further up the seat post. Not mega bright but again, has good side viability and the battery lasts a long time.
    On-One Phaart – On flashing attached to by saddle bag. Very bright, cheap and sitting a little higher puts it more in a drivers field of vison.
    Cheap Aldi LED – On flashing on my helmet or clipped to my jacket collar. Just seems to get attention a bit more as it is much higher than the rest.

I’m pretty firmly of the “more the merrier” camp for road rear lights. Putting a mix of flashing and constant at various heights seems to be better than 1 “super light”.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Money no object…Best rear light, Err the one on a Rolls Royce Phantom?? poss?

jameso

If money was no object, I’d have a built-in rear dynamo light and the custom road bike to mount it on.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Anyone know if any of these have a mudguard (full length roadie type guards) mount with the self-tap screw hole and anti-spin peg?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Money no object…Best rear light!’ is closed to new replies.