Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Money for loft insulation – was I imagining it?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Am I imagining it or was there an announcement a few years ago that there was some Govt money for everyone improving their loft insulation?

A quick Google finds some info from companies promising grant assistance but linked to having them do the work – not relevant to me. A quick look on DirectGov brings up the ‘Warm Front’ grants but they seem to be restricted to low income, benefits, disability etc. Again, not relevant to me.

Any info would be appreciated. We’re doing more than just replacing the insulation. We’re actually having a loft conversion but this will result in better insulation than we had before. If we can get any cash towards it, I’d take it.

uplink
    Free Member

We just had ours done for free
    apparently because we had a kid under 16 & our existing insulation was over 10 years old
    It was a cold call door knocker that somehow got me to sign up

higgo
    Free Member

kid(s) under 16? – tick
    existing insulation over 10yrs old – tick

marsdenman
    Free Member

higgo – best bet is to check with your local council (not easy I know, so many depts, so little time 🙄 ). Ours – Kirklees – had a recent purge where they sent assessors to every home that would let them in, they then provided a report on how ‘green / energy efficient’ the property was perceived to be and you then got offered free installation of anything that was needed – ie insulation and low energy bulbs…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

So you want taxpayers money to improve your home?

Stoner
    Free Member

No. He want’s tax payers money to save the planet. Seems a fair deal to me.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

steve austin…wouldn’t you if you had the chance? The big UK government drive to improve energy efficiency means that your tax is already spent by being ploughed into a big pot that’s set-aside for this. Would you rather it went to waste, or was spent on stupid end of year projects that are only there to fully utilise an under-spent budget?

higgo
    Free Member

So you want taxpayers money to improve your home?

Yes. If I’m entitled to it.

If I’m not entitled to it, either because I fail a means test or because our insulation improvements are tied in with other work, then fine – I’ll cope.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You’re not entitled to it. You have the means to help yourself. you don’t need it.

woody2000

Hmmm, steve-austin – didn’t you get a lot of taxpayers money when you were broken? The US government invested heavily in you – 6 million dollars if I remember correctly. Perhaps you shouldn’t be so quick to judge?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’m not judging, just being factual.

higgo
    Free Member

Entitlement and need are not the same thing.

I don’t need the NHS but I’m entitled to it’s services and use them.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

So, as a taxpayer, you want me to subsidise your living costs to develop and improve your home? You want me, to save you money? You want me to improve your quality of life?

Who do you think pays for these grants?

You can check here btw
    http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/What-can-I-do-today/Energy-saving-grants-and-offers/Search-for-grants-and-offers

petestuart
    Free Member

I think everyone is entitled to 50% off the cost of both loft and cavity wall insulation. The companies claim it back through your energy providers. We’re due to get our cavity wall done in a few weeks time. Im doing the loft myself.

Best thing is to check with the council – they’ll be able to put you in touch with their trusted installers also.

My local MP sent round this leaflet that gave me all the contact details etc. Sure its not exclusive to Southampton – http://www.alan-whitehead.org.uk/pdf/EnergySaver.pdf

higgo
    Free Member

So, as a taxpayer, you want me to subsidise your living costs to develop and improve your home? You want me, to save you money? You want me to improve your quality of life?

Yes.

I’m a tax-payer too. All the money goes into one big pot. Gordon and Alistair decide what to do with it*. If they decide to make some of it available to people improving their home insulation, and I’m improving my home insulation, I will take it.

(*although it may have been Tony and Gordon who made this particular decision)

nickc

Seems like a decent way to spend taxpayer (mine) money to me.

higgo
    Free Member

Well as it turns out I’m not entitled to it. This is (as I suspected) because the insulation improvements are being made as part of a bigger piece of work, loft conversion.

I’ll cope.

juan
    Free Member

well if I was a uk tax payer i’d rather have my tax used to improve someone loft rather than to pay thugs with yellow jacket and silver strips on their shoulders.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

told ya 😆

higgo
    Free Member

I am going to an NHS dentist next week though, Steve.
    You keep paying your tax, I’ll keep spending it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

You pay millions in tax do you, Austin?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Money for loft insulation – was I imagining it?’ is closed to new replies.