Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mondraker dune xr 2013 frame issues
  • dynafunc
    Free Member

Hi guys and gals,

Wondered if anyone on here had heard of the following?

I was kind of hoping I wouldn’t have to do this publicly but as all mondraker (via silverfish) want to do is keep giving me new frames and not solving the issue I’ve no real alternative.

So, I bought a 2013 dune xr frame last October and realised quite quickly that the rear seat stay brace was literally smashing into the seat tube upon full compression – anything from small to large drop offs.

The only way I can stop it happening is pump the shock up almost rock solid which defeats the object of the bike as it then rides like a bloody hard tail! Over time it cracks the paint off and begins to dent the seat tube! Anyhow, regardless of whether it can be stopped by upping the shock up, I refuse to accept that engineering wise the frame can bang not itself, poor design in my opinion.

Mondraker sent me a new frame which upon first ride, does exactly the same thing….. Currently have another warranty claim ongoing…… Of which they’re taking their time over, probably as they realised they’ve screwed up. Obviously I’m not happy and no one seems to give a s**t either, silverfish or otherwise!

So, has anyone ever come across this at all?
    I’d appreciate opinions on what to do about it – write to magazines etc as I don’t want a bike that’s going to effectively smash itself apart. It gets ridden as its designed for, mega avalanche and trams Provence this year!

Thanks in advance

Adam

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not the same issue but certainly a tollerence issue….

I bought the 2012 Dune and upgraded the shock to fox float XV – exacly the same one thats on the higher spec bikes. At full compression the frame rubs on the sides of the air can – Not noticable but after a few rides I noticed the paint has worn away on the sides of the can.

Annoying

rob-jackson
    Free Member

riding mates – eats through bushes and bearings monthly, frame has cracked also at the front mech mount!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ah – thats good to know – I bought the correct bike then 🙂

dynafunc
    Free Member

Very annoying indeed, absolutely want rid of the thing now.
    Mine also eats bushes and bearings – not the best made bikes by the sound of things!

dynafunc
    Free Member

Ok so I heard from the shop I purchased the frame through today, turns out the delay is at their end and not mondraker or silverfish. It would seem the warranty claim is well underway and should be sorted soon. According to the shop silverfish have been hugely helpful and are in regular communication with them in an attempt to sort it asap.

So, feeling a bit better about the situation now and look forward to getting to the bottom of it. It day I’d be sad to see the bike go as despite its faults, the new geometry set up of the 2013 frames means in handles superbly both up and down!

Fingers crossed!

martinclarke
    Free Member

Hi I also had this problem and sent my rear shock away and had it looked at to no avail, but I was advised to try the fox volume spacers so the shock ramps up instead of travel being the same all the way though, admittedly I still run 250psi but I am 14 stone 10.but I like this way. Please note I dont recon the bike should do this or they should of done this in the factory.but my frame is not damaged and never had the issue since this upgrade , I would class myself a a competent rider , and have rode me bike in the alps and ride downhill tracks weekly.or please reply if silverfish gives2014 frames out for this issue

martinclarke
    Free Member

Ok one year on and I can tell you that a tune from fox is needed if you are a heavier rider, they put different valves in I think but it works with a volume spacer, im loving this bike but was unsure when I also had this issue

pasho
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a Mondraker frame (either Foxy XR or Dune XR). Is it really that bad? I mean the rear triangle hitting the seat tube and the poor bearing/bushes quality. Should I abandon the idea?

Let me rephrase it. Would you recommend to buy it?

I bought my wife a regular Dune last September and so far so good. Great bike actually. I have only one complaint – the actual geo was different from the official. Top tube 540 instead of 570. We wanted a slightly longer cockpit, but ended up with the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it really that bad? I mean the rear triangle hitting the seat tube and the poor bearing/bushes quality.

I’ve owned two Dunes and a Foxy, and didn’t have any frame-bumping issues or manage to kill any bearings.

I did need to have the medium volume spacer added to the HV Fox RP23 shock on my 2012 Dune though. It was really wallowy before but much more efficient afterwards (and more controlled on drops and bigger hits).

HTH

pasho
    Free Member

Bought and built it. Had a ride today. AWESOME!!! It really feels a bit like a DH bike.

martinclarke
    Free Member

I would say buy one ,and setup right , faultless Confidence on down hills , run for 15 months now and love it, I keep looking at other bikes and sitting in the cot pit I go back to mine anyday, zero stem addiction

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker dune xr 2013 frame issues’ is closed to new replies.